Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help  (Read 8880 times)

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:18 PM »

I have a 1996 Heritage Softail, I recently bought it from my father in law who took great care of it. The only issue it's ever really had was with the stock pushrods which I replaced with the adjustable quickies that solved that issue
Recently I've changed my stock bars with 18" apes. I did the replacement myself 100% correct, Harley brand extension, shrink wrap and all that and have had no issues with it.

Two days ago I was riding into work going about 50mph and without any warning or signs of anything going wrong it just died on me. I thought maybe one of my rods was maybe loose and feel on me but they were all in place at the correct position. I tried to restart the bike and it sounded like it wasn't getting spark. I replaced the spark plugs and still nothing. I thought it might be the starter solenoid or whatever but did a spark test and power test and everything is functioning properly. I have an aftermarket starter solenoid on it so I replaced it with the stock one and still nothing. I've pretty much troubleshot everything but am starting to think that it may be the fuses. Does this sound like a fuse blowing to you guys? Almost everything else on the bike is brand new and in great shape. What do you guys think? Please help, I've spent more time wrenching and troubleshooting the bike than I have riding it and it's driving me nuts. I love my bike and never want to get rid of it, but keep having dumb chit like this happen and am starting to get pissed.

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

Re: Bike Just Died While Riding. Need some Help
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 05:22:58 PM »

Also when I first replaced the pushrods I had them too tight and when I tried to start it up the rods being too tight wouldn't allow the cam to spin, this not allowing the bike to start. When I try to start it now it's kind of making the same sound it did when that happened. I did check out my pushrods and they all look good. I don't think that riding with the adjustable pushrods tightened to the correct length, would allow them to loosen up AND then tighten too tight, Right? Doesn't make sense

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:18:48 PM »

Sounds like an electrical issue, coils or ignition maybe. A good tech with the proper tools would probably have it diagnosed in a matter of minutes. Maybe some of the techs here can shed some light.
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

bbrown

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 04 SEEG BLK/BLU
    • CVO2: 11 SESG. ORANGE/ BLK
    • CVO3: 19 SERG LIGHTNING/ SLVR
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:50:56 PM »

Give us a report once you figure it out....Good luck.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:09:05 PM »

Does the engine turn over with the starter?  How about the lights and instruments when you turn the ignition switch on?  If all of that still works, you can eliminate something like the main circuit breaker (bikes back then had a circuit breaker rather than the main fuse used these days, and they were problematic).  Check the kill switch, those have also been problematic on older models.  Check for proper spark output, you can get a simple spark tester at auto parts stores.  You need to verify not just a spark, but a strong enough spark to ignite the mixture under compression.  If the engine was running fine without any abnormal noises and just quit running instantaneously, odds are it is an electrical problem and not mechanical.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 09:27:07 PM »

What Jerry said ^ .  However, at least in my experience the most common piece to just suddenly fail in that vintage was the cam position sensor.  I'd no doubt tinker a bit with pieces easier to change but that's a part I always carried a spare of.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2019, 08:41:29 AM »

Agree with the above comments. I am a little confused about the exact issue.  The bike stopped running with no indication of a mechanical issue correct? If the engine is turning over the starter is working.  As mentioned, verify you are getting the right spark, verify you are getting gas (plugs should be wet).  If this all seems OK you could assume spark is not occurring at the right time . As mentioned a cam sensor will do this and there could be other things at fault as well. Let us know how you progress.

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2019, 10:01:42 AM »

Yes that is correct I just died on me while I was riding into work. No sputtering, no flickering lights, no throttle delay, no backfiring, nothing. Just *click* followed by silence and me pushing my 850 lb, leaky lover out of traffic 😂😂😂.

Haha, I'm confused right along with you my friend. Thank you, all of you for your input, I will keep you guys updated. I'll be in my workshop all day today trying to figure it out. Hopefully it's a minor issue cause by something I overlooked.

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2019, 04:16:29 PM »

Can't wait to hear what you find.

Dinger1990

• Junior CVO Member
    • SK

• CVO1: 2005 FLHTCSE2
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 05:37:20 PM »

Food for thought, one of my riding buddies got stranded 150 miles from nowhere with the same issue. He also had his bars changed recently. Turned out there was a wire that wasn’t run 100% perfectly and wore through and caused a short. $600.00 tow bill and a $100.00 fix...

JayKael87

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2019, 08:01:19 PM »

When I had the pushrod issue and I was troubleshooting everything electrical following the manuals instructions, I took that into consideration (a possible short in the wiring) and checked all my connections, shrink-wrap and wires for any signs of visible damage. Everything looked good. That is a valid point though mainly because something could've been damaged at a later point while riding.

We'll see. I haven't had any luck so far today. I will let you all know if I figure it out

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 10:00:03 PM »

Something similar happened to a buddy after a long ride...turned out to be a loose coil pack, after hours of troubleshooting, finally found it.  Tightened it up and not another issue the whole trip.  It’s worth a shot to check.  Good luck!

RonandJanet

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2019, 08:05:14 AM »

Were you able to verify the right spark is occurring and you had gas in the cylinder?   That would be the first step.  This can help determine if there is an electrical problem and if so where.  If the problem is spark not there or not strong enough is one direction, no spark is another or if the spark is fine then that goes back to timing (back to the cam sensor).  Just some thoughts. 

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2019, 03:30:23 PM »

Hey Jay,

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I had the exact same thing happen years ago with my 1991 Heritage, and sometimes it is the simplest things that get us.

I'm out for a ride with my buddy and going through a small town another joins in at the back.  About 10 miles up the road, cruising along enjoying the day, my bike just shuts down.  I pull over, my buddy follows, and the tag-along keeps going up the road.  My buddy and I can't figure out what the heck happened to make my bike just quit like that.  We go over all the usual things ensuring the plug cables are seated correctly, check the battery leads, etc. and could come up with nothing - and yes I had lots of fuel.

After about 10 minutes this tag-along stranger returns to see what the problem is. (nice chap)  He can't figure it out either, so with time wasting my buddy and our new found friend take off to the local Harley shop before it closes to get them to bring a trailer for pick-up service.  They arrive to a closed shop, but find about 20 riders who had just visited the shop prior to it closing for the day.

I'm sitting at the side of the road with my beloved Heritage for an hour or so wondering what happened to them, and all of a sudden over the hill comes what can only be described as the cavalry - my buddy, our new friend, and 20 or so others to assist anyway they can!  Isn't the Harley family wonderful?

After another 20 minutes of everyone taking a stab at what the problem could be, with no positive results, one guy walks to the front left side of the bike, looks down just inside the left floorboard and pushes on a little plug... "Try it now" he says.  I did and she fired up as good as ever!

The next day I went to the Harley shop to purchase a $2.70 clip to hold my alternator plug in place.  The boys at the shop informed me that it is a common problem with them vibrating loose, so the clip is a very good investment.  If it was that common, my question was... Why didn't all bikes come standard with the $2 clip for goodness sake?

Never had a problem since and that stranger has been a wonderful riding buddy for the past 20+ years.

Not sure if your year of bike is the same set-up because I know they did eventually change things to avoid this problem, but I though it was worth sharing my story with you.  I hope it helps and your problem is as simple as mine.

Here's a picture of the clip and plug on my beloved '91 that still gets ridden occasionally.

Best of luck!
Mike
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 10:15:26 PM by Grizzly »
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2019, 05:52:48 PM »

I've seen this same problem with the bank angle sensor in the cam cover with the stock ign. pick up.
John
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.166 seconds with 22 queries.