Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Whining Noise from Primary  (Read 10238 times)

dweiss22

• CT

Whining Noise from Primary
« on: August 06, 2019, 06:57:40 AM »

So I noticed the other day that when I am coming to a stop or slowing down I hear a whining from the left side of the bike.  Specifically, the front of the primary, at least that sounds where it may be coming from.  It sounds like a turbine engine is slowing down.  I've owned other softails before as well as a street glide and never heard this sound before.  It is a 110 engine and the others were smaller engines not sure if that has something to do with it or not.  Either way was wondering if I have something to be concerned with or if it is "normal"..  By the way it is a 2014 CVO Breakout...
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Aussie

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHXSE3 Hot Citrus
Re: Whining Noise from Primary
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 05:21:34 PM »

The symptoms you describe Sound like the primary chain is too tight, the auto tensioner has been known to over ratchet causing a tight chain tension.

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 07:34:22 PM »

Thanks Aussie.  I didn’t really think of that. But now that you say it it kind of makes sense to me. However, I’m not too thrilled about draining the primary and pulling the cover off to readjust it. besides what would stop it from happening again. Want to try and prevent this if I’m able to fix it from happening again.   Any ideas!
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »

It's not a "normal" thing, even with a Harley.  Unfortunately you can't diagnose or fix it without opening up the primary.  Common causes include the aforementioned primary chain tensioner as well as the inner primary bearing (behind the clutch) for instance. 

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 08:44:01 AM »

So the bike only has about 4500 miles on it so I am surprised that it might be something like this.  I guess this type of thing can happen regardless of mileage...  Does anyone know if the CVO's has the standard chain adjuster and would be any benefit of installing the manual one based on findings??  I don't want to do this twice..

https://www.harley-davidson.com/store/manual-primary-chain-tension-adjuster
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2019, 09:33:17 AM »

If your bike is under warranty still let them check and fix. The standard one on the cvo is auto tensioner. It can be changed to another aftermarket such as Hayden. Some have had issues with Hayden. I have one in my old 96 WG as well as my 07 CVO and love them. Usually yes you can install a manual one you just have to inspect and adjust 5-10000 miles.

ultrarider123

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2019, 09:45:58 AM »

If your bike is under warranty still let them check and fix. The standard one on the cvo is auto tensioner. It can be changed to another aftermarket such as Hayden. Some have had issues with Hayden. I have one in my old 96 WG as well as my 07 CVO and love them. Usually yes you can install a manual one you just have to inspect and adjust 5-10000 miles.

And since there is no longer a separate inspection/adjustment "window" on these newfangled primary covers, you have to remove the entire primary cover each 5 to 10K miles to inspect/adjust.... >:(

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2019, 10:03:34 AM »

Yea, that's wonderful news....

Can the stock auto adjuster be "readjusted" essentially reset or will it just continue to go back to being too tight as I suspect it is now...??
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Rooster

• 5k CVO Member
  • FLhtcuse2.ORG
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2019, 10:10:08 AM »

And since there is no longer a separate inspection/adjustment "window" on these newfangled primary covers, you have to remove the entire primary cover each 5 to 10K miles to inspect/adjust.... >:(
Oh yes forgot about that Haird. Yes I was bummed to see it gone on my 07. The old WG has the removeable inspection cover and the 07 just a indented spot where they used to be. The stock tensioner is going to do what it does, I don't think there is any way to put it in one spot and expect it to stay there. Unless someone knows a new trick.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 10:12:29 AM by Rooster »

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2019, 12:09:48 PM »

If it turns out to be an overly tight primary chain due to the auto adjuster, trying to adjust the auto adjuster will likely be a waste of time.  This doesn't seem to be a major issue on late model bikes like it was in the first few years of the auto adjusters, but nothing made by man is perfect and you could have gotten a bad one.  You could replace it with another auto adjuster and hope you get one of the good ones, or you could go with various aftermarket adjusters.  Those aren't necessarily guaranteed solutions either, as various adjusters like the Screamin' Eagle manual adjuster or the Baker manual adjuster have been reported by users to be noisier than the auto adjusters. 

Don't just assume this is a primary chain and adjuster noise.  Once you have the primary cover off you can verify if the primary chain tension is too tight.  If it isn't, you need to look at other items like the IPB I mentioned previously.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2019, 12:33:01 PM »

Jerry, thanks for the insight.  But my goodness man your starting to make me a little nervous thinking about the IPB.  Sounds like a big pain in the ass job....  Anyway, would be surprised if it does turn out to be something more than the tensioner as the bike only has about 4500 miles on it.  Its a 2014 so no warranty to lean on.  Looks like I'll be cracking it open soon...  Stay tuned..

As a side note, I've only had the bike about 2.5 months and started noticing the whining over the last few weeks...not sure if that helps the diagnosis any..

Thanks again everyone for the replies...
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2019, 05:07:13 PM »

This may have nothing to do with yours.
I had a 2012 CVO StreetGlide and the transmission started whining at about 1500 miles and at about 1600 the dealer tore it down and found a bent main shaft with a ding on one end most likely caused by being dropped during assembly,
the bearings were darkened do to heat.
They replaced the cassette [ transmission guts ] and no more noise.   
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 05:54:02 PM »

Thanks Joel. I don’t think it’s that far back, it sounds like it’s much further in front of the motor mainly coming from the primary. It’s sounding more and more as if it could be the tensioner so I’m going to check that out and report back.

Thanks for your input though.
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2019, 10:08:38 AM »

What did you find? The new covers don't have access to adjust without removing the whole cover, but .... You can still check the chain tension through the derby/clutch cover with a sturdy screwdriver and flashlight. I do this everytime I change the oil while I'm in there & mine has been fine.
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2019, 10:03:59 AM »

Phantom309, thanks for reaching out and checking in.  My apologies for getting back to you so late.  Unfortunately, the bike is put away for the winter and I am planning on installing a chrome inner primary cover when it come is later this month so I will have to put you off a little longer before I have my answer.  Stay tuned....

:drummer:
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

dweiss22

• CT

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »

So after a long winter I found the whining issue. It was in fact the chain tensioner. While I was changing out the inner primary for a chrome one I replace the stock chain tensioner for a Baker. Took her out for a ride shortly after and quiet as a mouse.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DW

2014 CVO Breakout

Bill E

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE Sherwood Pearl
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 07:01:47 PM »

Have the same issue on my 14 Road King.  Hope it’s the same solution.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2020, 09:42:33 PM »

Good points guys. I was going to mention about being able to check the chain on the later models with a flashlight and screwdriver but you covered that. I had a chain that was way too tight this winter. If you remove the latest version of the chain tensioner you can readjust it to zero, so to speak, and when you reinstall it, it will adjust back to stock limits. A possible cause of a tensioner being too tight is if you are hard on the throttle and let off quickly. This creates unnecessary slack in the lower part of the chain and allows the tensioner to tighten up a notch. I give credit to this knowledge by watching Doc Harley from Low Country Harley Davidson videos. So far my problem noise went away..... ;D
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.165 seconds with 21 queries.