Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Swingarm questions  (Read 6800 times)

SneakyPete

• 1K CVO Member
  • AKA FGL
    • VA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG O/B- RIP
    • CVO2: 2009 SERG3 O/B
    • CVO3: 2014 SERK6 O/B
Re: Swingarm questions
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 04:39:57 PM »

After I put on the new wheels on Bessie, she became uncontrolable at high speeds. Just ask Hubbard or Harry. Makes you feel like your azz is swaying from side to side even at 75 mph. At 125 as I was catchin , well never mind, anyway at 125 it took up all of Interstate 4. This was like being on a great thrill ride at Disney!

Good luck fishing!  Funny you should mention this because at Bayside yesterday they had a street glide with a 21 front wheel and fat bagger rear tire kit installed with the owner complaining of the same problem.  Just from eyeballing the install from the back of the bike looking forward, it appears the alignment is off (trans shifted to the left of center).  Hope there is an easy fix to your problem.  Should have my bike back in few weeks, heads and cylinders at Diamond Heads being cut as we speak.
Member Hillbilly Rocket Riders MC, Virginia THE FASTEST CHAPTER!

hogasm

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 06:00:10 PM »

Should have my bike back in few weeks, heads and cylinders at Diamond Heads being cut as we speak.

Good deal your getting closer :2vrolijk_21:

I think my problem is that the rear wheel spacing is incorrect from the manufacture. Wont know till I get the bike back from Florida.

djkak

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 06:14:49 PM »

I do not completely share the enthusiasm that some have for products like the Ride-Str8. I don’t have an argument with the concept of these devices; I run an Eskimo Engineered unit on my bagger, and my Buell is factory equipped. My argument is based on my belief that the rear powertrain mounts are simply not the weakest link in Touring Platform’s Frame and Swingarm package.

For the purpose of this post, the assumption is that all components that influence the handling of the Motorcycle are functioning as designed. An additional assumption is that devices like the Ride-Str8 are intended to improve the handling performance of a properly adjusted and maintained Touring chassis, and not to compensate for worn out or failed components; this really goes without saying. The point of the post is not to make an attempt to “cure” specific or chronic handling issues, but simply to provoke some thought.

A primary function of the Frame and Rear Fork is to keep the front and rear wheels in relative alignment during times when the machine is subjected to torsional stress and other load. It is my sense that under certain circumstances, the torsional limits of the double cradle frame become an issue before the capacity of the rear powertrain mounts have been exceeded.

The VRod platform appears to validate the idea of placing the priority on updating the frame over the rear powertrain mounts. Here is a machine with the capacity to accelerate harder and run much faster; placing greater demands on its chassis. The frame for this machine was designed to handle the increased load potential, yet the rear mount technology remains unchanged.

Having run a stabilizer link on my machine (FrameClearance.jpg), I can say that I do feel some difference, including increased vibration when cornering. I can also say that the stability issues with this machine remain substantially unchanged.

If the root cause of the instability is not addressed with the installation of these devices, then they only return minimal value as reinforcement; assuming they are effectively designed. If their installation masks a maintenance issue, they may appear to return greater value. The manufacturers of these devices make some dramatic performance claims; they have done a great job selling a concept. JMHO

djkak

hogasm

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 08:01:28 PM »

I do not completely share the enthusiasm that some have for products like the Ride-Str8. I don’t have an argument with the concept of these devices; I run an Eskimo Engineered unit on my bagger, and my Buell is factory equipped. My argument is based on my belief that the rear powertrain mounts are simply not the weakest link in Touring Platform’s Frame and Swingarm package.

For the purpose of this post, the assumption is that all components that influence the handling of the Motorcycle are functioning as designed. An additional assumption is that devices like the Ride-Str8 are intended to improve the handling performance of a properly adjusted and maintained Touring chassis, and not to compensate for worn out or failed components; this really goes without saying. The point of the post is not to make an attempt to “cure” specific or chronic handling issues, but simply to provoke some thought.

A primary function of the Frame and Rear Fork is to keep the front and rear wheels in relative alignment during times when the machine is subjected to torsional stress and other load. It is my sense that under certain circumstances, the torsional limits of the double cradle frame become an issue before the capacity of the rear powertrain mounts have been exceeded.

The VRod platform appears to validate the idea of placing the priority on updating the frame over the rear powertrain mounts. Here is a machine with the capacity to accelerate harder and run much faster; placing greater demands on its chassis. The frame for this machine was designed to handle the increased load potential, yet the rear mount technology remains unchanged.

Having run a stabilizer link on my machine (FrameClearance.jpg), I can say that I do feel some difference, including increased vibration when cornering. I can also say that the stability issues with this machine remain substantially unchanged.

If the root cause of the instability is not addressed with the installation of these devices, then they only return minimal value as reinforcement; assuming they are effectively designed. If their installation masks a maintenance issue, they may appear to return greater value. The manufacturers of these devices make some dramatic performance claims; they have done a great job selling a concept. JMHO

djkak

I agree that if the cause of the problem is not addressed and one of these units are installed then you have done nothing but make a bad situation worse.

jclark3603

• 07 Black Ice Road King
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2007, 03:03:21 PM »

If any one (as Hogasm stated )does call trutrack let me know if you get through to them and talk to any one. Calling the published number always gets me a VM that is full and can not except messages. I ordered a True Track for my SERX 6 weeks ago and the charges went through on my credit card but the unit has yet to arrive at my home. TIA
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.203 seconds with 21 queries.