Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Springer clutch fluid flush  (Read 1716 times)

gmeikle

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2008 FXSTSSE2

• CVO1: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Diamond Black
2008 FXSTSSE2 Springer clutch fluid flush
« on: December 09, 2022, 03:16:34 AM »

I have just yesterday flushed the clutch fluid on my 2008 FXSTSSE2 CVO Springer. Before now I have only ever emptied and refilled the master cylinder being "wary" of that small bleeder.

That little external bleed sucker appears to be a 1/4 inch ringkey and or socket. I had a 12 point ringkey and a 1/4 Hex socket (not 12 point)

I soaked the little sucker in WD40 and wrapped it in wet WD40 tissue paper for over a day before trying to loosen it!

It was a bit of a "heart in the mouth" episode to then crack it open. Immediately cleaned off the threads on the removed nipple with brake cleaner spray solvent and then coated it with copper anti seize grease before reinstallation. I had a good mate put his finger over the bleed nipple hole to minimise air leaking in problems.
I had horrible mental pictures of it shearing off, and needing easy-outs etc etc ,but thankfully not. It is now back in with Lanolin INOX spray on the exposed outside threads as well, prevention being better than cure.

I emptied the master cylinder on the handlebars using a syringe and cleaned it out with lint free rags (it was well filthy I was surprised !). Almost a brown sludge like buildup.

Filled with fresh DOT 5.1 and bled (vacuum sucked!) thru clean new fluid only with a vacuum pump from the nipple using an adaptor for the skinny nipple.
Watched thru the clear hose until the fluid was running clean. I did not move the lever during this process and had the same good sensible mate topping off as we went

Flushed front and rear calipers as well at the same time, again using new DOT 5.1 (NOT Silicone DOT 5). Used a 500ml bottle over all three bleeds.
The 2 brakes' fluids were much cleaner but I had purged them a coupla times previously in the last few years.

All 3 master cylinder lids were washed in warm soapy water, rinsed with fresh water and left in the sun to dry. Sealing surfaces carefully wiped clean.

From here on it will be an annual purge using DOT 5.1 (which is superior to and can replace DOT 4 no worries!)

Rode the bike 50 K's today on a nice 25C sunny day and all seems fine. Another longer summer run to come tomorrow (sorry to those "up North "!)

I had done a bit of google research beforehand on that external 1/4 nipple and found not a lot.
The later hydraulic clutch bikes the nipple is "hidden" and it looks a bit more drama to do. Exhaust needing loosened/removed etc etc.

I am wondering how other folks go with this wee job?

No illegitimi carborundum

bad00serg

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2007 Springer
    • CVO2: 2009 Springer
    • CVO3: 2020 Ultra Limited
Re: 2008 FXSTSSE2 Springer clutch fluid flush
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2022, 08:24:19 AM »

Well, no one can say that you weren't thorough going about that job!  Did the same with my 2007..doing it every year is likely unnecessary.  HD recommends every other year, I do every four or so and it seems fine. 

Page created in 0.122 seconds with 22 queries.