CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

When to change fork oil?

(1/4) > >>

SilverDawg:
Just had my 10K service completed on my Heritage.  It did not include changing the fork oil.  I checked on the maintence items completed and it IS listed on the 20K service.  For some reason, I thought it was done at each 10K interval.  I'll go try to find it in one of my service manuals or the owners manual, but thought I would post here to see when y'all change it.  I was at a local watering hole this afternoon and a couple of guys recommended changing it at 10K vs. 20K.  One said he really noticed a difference. :-\   Also, what do you put in, typical HD fluid or is there something better ???

erniezap:
There have been several threads about this already.  Here's one and if you search on "fork oil" you'll find others.  http://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=10043.0

That being said, I changed mine at 20K and went to a 15w oil instead of the HD 7w.  It made a major difference in the stability and handling, but it does make the ride a little stiffer.  I relate it to a BMW instead of a Chevy.  I definitely recommend it.

SilverDawg:
Oops, my bad on not doing a search  :-[.  Tend to forget from time to time.

Thanks for the response.

hard10:
I checked both my '02 Deuce & SEUC2 manuals and they both said 20k. I thought it was 10k also. Oh well.

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: hard10 on March 18, 2007, 09:00:42 PM ---I checked both my '02 Deuce & SEUC2 manuals and they both said 20k. I thought it was 10k also. Oh well.

--- End quote ---

Some of us have a phobia about changing fork oil.  Just one of those jobs we hate to do.  Those strange people that feel that way might tend to stretch it out a bit....  I'm not saying I know anyone that does that though.  Hell, some people like that might even ride 800 miles to Georgia to have it done rather than do it themselves.  But those would be very odd people. :-\

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version