CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

When to change fork oil?

<< < (2/4) > >>

Chief:

--- Quote from: hard10 on March 18, 2007, 09:00:42 PM ---I checked both my '02 Deuce & SEUC2 manuals and they both said 20k. I thought it was 10k also. Oh well.

--- End quote ---

I know on my '99 FLHTC, it was definitely 10k. With the front forks having air valves, it was a simple issue to suck it up through the drain screw hole. From what I've read about the 07's, it becomes a major pita.

I'm glad it's 20k now.

Chief

hard10:

--- Quote from: Twolanerider on March 18, 2007, 09:09:27 PM ---Some of us have a phobia about changing fork oil.  Just one of those jobs we hate to do.  Those strange people that feel that way might tend to stretch it out a bit....  I'm not saying I know anyone that does that though.  Hell, some people like that might even ride 800 miles to Georgia to have it done rather than do it themselves.  But those would be very odd people. :-\

--- End quote ---

Hey Georgia is only 60 miles!!! ;D & I like to ride.

Hoist!:
You might want to check it earlier the first time, as you have 50/50 chance that the level isn't perfect anyway. By changing it, you know you'll have it right. And you can substitute better oil then too. 15W PJ-1 makes things a little stiffer,which I like. I also don't worry about waiting 20K miles after that. Hoist! 8)

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Hoist on March 18, 2007, 09:17:51 PM ---
I also don't worry about waiting 20K miles after that. Hoist! 8)

--- End quote ---

It's weird, people keep going to Georgia to get their fork oil changes....  :nixweiss:

djkak:

--- Quote from: hard10 on March 18, 2007, 09:00:42 PM ---I checked both my '02 Deuce & SEUC2 manuals and they both said 20k. I thought it was 10k also. Oh well.

--- End quote ---

My '06 and '07 Touring manuals say to change fork oil every 50,000 miles. For years the interval was 10,000. As I remember it, the interval began to increase around 2002.

I believe some of the other models still have lower mileage intervals on the fork oil change.

djkak

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version