Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Sensor down at jiffy stand???  (Read 3225 times)

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
Sensor down at jiffy stand???
« on: December 31, 2019, 02:26:26 PM »

Recently bought a new leftover 2019 CVO Limited. So I'm giving it a good cleaning today and notice something that my 2017 CVO didn't have. There's some sort of black rubberish sensor with a wire attached to it down just to the very front of the jiffystand. Anyone have a good guess just what this is for? I'm baffled. TKS

scottt

• Elite CVO Member
Re: Sensor down at jiffy stand???
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2019, 03:21:30 PM »

Recently bought a new leftover 2019 CVO Limited. So I'm giving it a good cleaning today and notice something that my 2017 CVO didn't have. There's some sort of black rubberish sensor with a wire attached to it down just to the very front of the jiffystand. Anyone have a good guess just what this is for? I'm baffled. TKS
I'd bet it's a kickstand sensor. If you put your bike in 1st gear while your kickstand is down, your motor shuts off. Keeps you from riding off with the kickstand down. Required by law in Europe on all new bikes.

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:36 PM »

Is it an actual sensor, or is it just an electrical connector with a plug in it?  If you have a US model, it should just be a connector.  If you have an export model, there should be a short wire plugged into that connector that runs to the actual sensor mounted to the jiffy stand.  The sensor is not required in the US, but is a required safety feature in Britain and some other countries.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2019, 08:15:18 PM »

I think you're talking about the stator wire.

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2020, 02:02:56 PM »

Here is a picture of what I am talking about. It probably is the sensor for a jiffy stand deal that they use on the European models. Perhaps for some reason it got stuck on by mistake at the factory. When I extend the jiffy stand,  the tab covers the top of the sensor and probably affects a magnet or something inside. The wire leading from the sensor goes underneath the water pump and is plugged into a female plug. But I guess the way the computer is programmed for USA bikes it does not of fear to function as I can put the bike in gear and have the jiffy stand and it’s lower position Without the engine shutting off or affecting any function.  So I guess the question is solved. Thanks to all.   Picture appears to be too large to attach so I will attempt to reduce the size and put in a post below.

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2020, 02:07:17 PM »

Pic of sensor.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE2 Roman Gold/Burnt Emerald
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2020, 02:49:43 PM »

curious, what is the first part of your vin number?
I understand the concept of reality, but find it too confining as a way of life

J.D.

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2020, 04:24:59 PM »

Could simply be that someone has added this sensor as a safeguard.  Simple but good idea.  I've seen more than 1 person parked on an incline attempt to start their bike in 1st gear after a few beers.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2020, 05:04:37 PM »

Absolutely amazing how many of us old timers managed to ride for forty or fifty years without killing ourselves, since we had none of today's safety features or the plethora of safety decals and reminders common these days.

I've never quite figured out why the English and a few others felt it was necessary to kill the engine if you put the bike in gear with the stand down.  Do any of the commonly used stands lock in the down and forward position once weight is removed?  If not, as soon as the type I'm familiar with barely touches the ground while moving it pops back into the stowed position with a nice clang to remind you of your error.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2020, 05:40:03 PM »

curious, what is the first part of your vin number?

This enough to help ya?

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2020, 05:41:53 PM »

Could simply be that someone has added this sensor as a safeguard.  Simple but good idea.  I've seen more than 1 person parked on an incline attempt to start their bike in 1st gear after a few beers.

Bought the bike new so no previous owner and it’s inoperative.   My guess is some assembler at the factory stuck it on by mistake or to just mess with my mind. 

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2020, 05:43:15 PM »

Absolutely amazing how many of us old timers managed to ride for forty or fifty years without killing ourselves, since we had none of today's safety features or the plethora of safety decals and reminders common these days.

I've never quite figured out why the English and a few others felt it was necessary to kill the engine if you put the bike in gear with the stand down.  Do any of the commonly used stands lock in the down and forward position once weight is removed?  If not, as soon as the type I'm familiar with barely touches the ground while moving it pops back into the stowed position with a nice clang to remind you of your error.

Jerry

My first HD sure had no fancy stuff. 🤣🤣

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2020, 08:52:09 PM »

Pic of sensor.

That's the jiffy stand interlock sensor. US bikes are not supposed to come with that thing.

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2020, 09:08:07 PM »

Bought the bike new so no previous owner and it’s inoperative.   My guess is some assembler at the factory stuck it on by mistake or to just mess with my mind.

yep,  definitely a us bike.  really curious as to how that happened.  the good news is that you don't have it enabled anyway.  i would hate to have that.

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 07:52:45 AM »

That's the jiffy stand interlock sensor. US bikes are not supposed to come with that thing.

Looks like I got a freebie.  🤣🤣

mark

« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2020, 09:45:16 AM »

It’s actually not a bad safety feature.  Some manufacturers put these on their US bikes even though there is no requirement to do so. 

Glenncarp

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2020, 11:04:54 AM »

Looks like I got a freebie.  🤣🤣

Check your "window sticker", I am sure you were charged for it in some manner. Lol

AndyB1976

• www.CVOHARLEY.com

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2020, 08:52:27 AM »

I have the same on my CVO It is a sensor for the kick stand.

cdestuck

• Junior CVO Member
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2020, 09:15:23 AM »

Does yours actually work as in shutting off engine if jiffy is down and bike is put in gear or something like that??

skratch

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2020, 12:03:00 PM »

his probably does since he's in the uk.

PeterJ

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
    • CVO2: 2007 Buell XB12SCg, 2000 FXSTD Deuce
« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2020, 05:51:10 PM »

Hi Andy. I'm one of the rare Brits here on the CVO forum. Welcome.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 21 queries.