Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: True-Track Rear Stabilizer 2017+  (Read 1694 times)

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2019 FLHXSE
True-Track Rear Stabilizer 2017+
« on: April 01, 2020, 08:07:06 PM »

Has anyone installed a True-Track rear stabilizer on a 17+ touring bike?

I’m looking for a solution to the flex that unsettles the bike while leaned over at high speeds over rough or wavy surfaces. I know the True-Track solution worked on 09 - 16 touring bikes as it fixed my ‘11 Road Glide, but I’m looking for validation that it fixes the newer bikes.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
Re: True-Track Rear Stabilizer 2017+
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2020, 08:20:23 PM »

I don't think you should need one on the newer bikes. They were popular on 2008 and older. You might want to look at the other possibilities if you have a wobble.     Stuart. 🤔

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2020, 08:22:14 PM »

How did I not anticipate this...

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2020, 10:34:16 PM »

I had a True-Track stabilizer on my 2004 Road Glide. I did not need one on my 2009 Road Glide nor my 2015 Road Glide Ultra. Under the KISS principal, what is the air pressure in your rear tire?

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2020, 09:16:16 AM »

How did I not anticipate this...

Look at it this way, each time someone responds to your original post, it puts that thread back on the "Show unread posts since your last visit" list.  Lots of folks use that list versus looking at the list of various boards.  So even though you don't get the answer you want, when people make comments they are helping to keep your thread visible where someone who has actually installed a True Track device might see it and respond.  And I'm quite sure I've seen posts in the past from people who have in fact installed that product on late model touring models.  As to whether or not it made a real difference, they will have to tell you.  When there is no valid test method to measure any actual improvement, perception is not always reality, if you know what I mean.

JMHO - Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 02:34:01 PM »

I Installed the rear bracket on my 17' CVO SG last summer.  (They have a front bracket now)  Had to try something to get rid of that damn "waggle" as I call it.  They claim in the literature at the time of my purchase that it would solve the problem I was experiencing but wasn't clear on use with aftermarket exhaust (crossover mount) so I called them.  Found out that the main bracket all of a sudden doesn't fix all the waggle which advertising has been stating since invention and to make your bike handle "like its on rails" actual quote, you need the front bracket now.  Well since the rear bracket is almost $500 and  I knew that my worn, cupped tires are probably contributing and so I went with only the rear.  The front is $285 I think and could add it later if I think I need it.

Well does it work?  Yes to a point.  The bike has a more ridged or precise feel not as mushy and it does take most of the waggle out, not all.  I can tell the bike still wants to waggle and does a little (higher speed turns and change ups), but with the bracket it is greatly reduced.

My bike has 10k on it and is due for tires & to check the steering head bearings and maybe get rid of the those uneven p.o.s shocks in the rear before I buy the front bracket first cause I think they are contributing to the problem too.  Playing build a bike with a 40k bike is sooo much fun!

Also I had to do a little fabbing to mount the crossover on my FullSac exhaust.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2020, 02:37:15 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 02:51:33 PM »

I Installed the rear bracket on my 17' CVO SG last summer.  (They have a front bracket now)  Had to try something to get rid of that damn "waggle" as I call it.  They claim in the literature at the time of my purchase that it would solve the problem I was experiencing but wasn't clear on use with aftermarket exhaust (crossover mount) so I called them.  Found out that the main bracket all of a sudden doesn't fix all the waggle which advertising has been stating since invention and to make your bike handle "like its on rails" actual quote, you need the front bracket now.  Well since the rear bracket is almost $500 and  I knew that my worn, cupped tires are probably contributing and so I went with only the rear.  The front is $285 I think and could add it later if I think I need it.

Well does it work?  Yes to a point.  The bike has a more ridged or precise feel not as mushy and it does take most of the waggle out, not all.  I can tell the bike still wants to waggle and does a little (higher speed turns and change ups), but with the bracket it is greatly reduced.

My bike has 10k on it and is due for tires & to check the steering head bearings and maybe get rid of the those uneven p.o.s shocks in the rear before I buy the front bracket first cause I think they are contributing to the problem too.  Playing build a bike with a 40k bike is sooo much fun!

This is exactly what I wanted. Thank you very much for the info.

I had ordered the rear part yesterday because I figured it would do what you indicate (which is similar to what it accomplished on my '11 RG), but it is reassuring to see that your results conform to my expectations.

It's perplexing to me to see people fail to recognize the flex problem inherent in the H-D bikes, but, then, I come from 30+ years on liter class Italian and Japanese sport bikes and ride at speeds most H-D riders find uncomfortable. I probably have a much loftier expectation as it pertains to mid-corner rigidity/stability than the average guy.

Thanks again for taking the time to provide input.   :2vrolijk_21:

GB506

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 07:35:21 PM »

I finally got around to installing the rear True-track stabilizer on the SG today. After running it through the paces, I agree with your assessment 100%. The “waggle” isn’t gone, but it is diminished, and, generally speaking, the bike definitely feels more stable, rigid and composed, particularly when cornering aggressively at high speeds, and when riding over surfaces that would normally upset the bike (steel grid bridge deck, grooved concrete, etc.)

There is only so much that can be expected from a band-aid type fix like the True-Track when the culprits are a weak frame, swing arm and front end. I don’t think adding the front stabilizer would eliminate the waggle, either, it’s just the nature of the beast.

That said, the improvement is noticeable and, as an aggressive rider, I feel it’s worth the money to see some additional stability and handling performance out of the bike. Normal riders may not come to the same conclusion.

Cvostu

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 Whiskey Neat road glide custom
    • CVO2: 2019 Mako Shark Fade road glide custom
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2020, 07:27:35 AM »

That's really interesting. I'm glad to hear that it's made some improvement. I'm still just surprised that in these days on the newer bikes you need such a device.   I experienced the "waggle" too a few times. I know it's no fun when it happens.  I guess I would be trying something too.  Good luck with this issue.   Stuart.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2020, 01:22:09 PM »

I think the problem is the Harley shocks. If you get a good quality rear shock like Ohlins that problem will go away. Mine rides very smooth in curves and rough roads. Call an Ohlins dealer and they will explain this.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2020, 05:24:15 PM »

The flexible flyer frame and swingarm of the 1980+ touring models were finally replaced with new designs in 2009, which made a huge difference in the "hinged in the middle" problem as well as the high speed tank slapper problem.  But you still have powertrain mounts that have a certain amount of play, and a rear shock setup designed to be cheap to produce, far from state of the art.  Reminds me of the goofy systems Harley has had in the past for front forks, with different damping setups on one leg versus the other.  That kind of stuff only works well if there is no flex anywhere in the system.  Harley hasn't figured that out yet.

The various aftermarket brackets claim to do all sorts of magic things, but all they really do is make the rear powertrain mounts more rigid.  Why not just replace the rear mounts with solid bushings and be done with it?  I seem to remember kits offering that very thing, ten or twenty years ago. :nixweiss:

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2020, 10:07:59 AM »

That's really interesting. I'm glad to hear that it's made some improvement. I'm still just surprised that in these days on the newer bikes you need such a device.   I experienced the "waggle" too a few times. I know it's no fun when it happens.  I guess I would be trying something too.  Good luck with this issue.   Stuart.

Between the rear 'waggle' and the front end wobble - why would you what to give up such an exhilarating ride  :huepfenjump3:
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Page created in 0.326 seconds with 21 queries.