Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Covid-19 and harley  (Read 1200 times)

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Bill

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Covid-19 and harley
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 10:05:11 AM »

Sales have been declining for years.  HD new bikes - electric & smaller cc gas - are not setting any sales records from what I have seen.

Big layoffs, big restructuring, & lots of changes are inevitable & HD is ripe for a buyout.  They need some really good luck but as the old saying goes - Opportunity & hard work = good luck.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:10:39 AM »

Some of the cutbacks seem symbolic for a multi-billion dollar company.  The savings from “no salary” for the CEO and board of directors would be like me finding change under my sofa cushion and thinking it’ll save me from foreclosure.

I also noticed there was nothing on the list that would help sell more bikes...discounts, incentive financing, more lucrative trade-in allowances, etc.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2020, 11:36:08 AM »

Some of the cutbacks seem symbolic for a multi-billion dollar company.  The savings from “no salary” for the CEO and board of directors would be like me finding change under my sofa cushion and thinking it’ll save me from foreclosure.

I also noticed there was nothing on the list that would help sell more bikes...discounts, incentive financing, more lucrative trade-in allowances, etc.

The symbolic "no salary" for the Board and CEO are just designed to make the shareholders and the employees who are losing their jobs feel like the big boys are sharing the pain.  As I said, symbolic and not terribly effective.  These days a CEO's salary is the very least of his compensation in most corporations.

Harley is still hanging on to their silly and outdated philosophy on pricing and discounts, even as they circle the drain.  They would rather shut the place down before they would offer meaningful incentives.  If they are offering anything, it must be top secret and only announced to dealers; I haven't seen a thing and usually the local dealer sends me info on promotions.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2020, 11:39:54 AM »

Would be interesting to see how Indian is doing being that they are just getting started..

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2020, 02:31:25 PM »

" They would rather shut the place down before they would offer meaningful incentives."  Jerry

Couldn't agree more, their actions (HD) deify logic.  It does seem they are deliberately steering the mother ship aground.  Stock buyback or some other sinister plan?  I hate to be the conspiracy theory guy on here but could the people in control be that bad or out of touch with their industry?  Sadly it seems so.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.