Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: NASCAR -- Just Saw They're Going to Start Running Again  (Read 1824 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
NASCAR -- Just Saw They're Going to Start Running Again
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

NASCAR but without fans in the stands.  That'll be like 50 or 60 people that would normally be at a race that won't get to show up now.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: NASCAR -- Just Saw They're Going to Start Running Again
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »

Unfair.  The average was at least 123 in the stands. 14-18 of them paid to get in. This 123 number includes vendors & parking lot attendants & wives/girlfriends.  Add in drivers & crews & tv peeps & that number could triple. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2020, 06:49:54 AM »

NASCAR but without fans in the stands.  That'll be like 50 or 60 people that would normally be at a race that won't get to show up now.

Really depends on track.  Bristol was always sold out as for a few others.  At least one or more pro sport is realizing they cant stay shut down. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 08:54:47 AM »

Baseball is trying to set up an 82 game schedule, but certain prima donnas won't agree to taking a pay cut.  Certain pitcher has been very outspoken about expecting his full contract amount, even though he  would only be playing a half season, which for a pitcher is about 32 starts in a five man rotation.  $7,000,000 over 32 games, or nothing for zero games.  I think if I was the owner of that team I'd tell him fine, zero it is.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

grc

• 10K CVO Member
  • AKA Grouchy Old Fart
    • IN

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG2
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 09:02:27 AM »

NASCAR is a lot like Harley, dying a slow death at the hands of imbeciles at the top.  In NASCAR's case, they may find at many tracks having no one in the stands is a plus, with lower costs offsetting any loss at the concession stands at the sparsely attended races.  I'm not a regular watcher these days, but the last time I glanced at a race for a few minutes I noticed the camera crew tried to avoid shots of the large swaths of empty seats in many sections, most likely under orders from NASCAR.  Wouldn't want people to know how low they've fallen.

Jerry
Jerry - 2005 Cherry SEEG  -  Member # 1155

H-D and me  -  a classic love / hate relationship.  Current score:  love 40, hate 50, bewildered 10.

tazmun

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE (sold)
    • CVO2: 19 FLHXS All Black
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 10:23:14 AM »

NASCAR is a lot like Harley, dying a slow death at the hands of imbeciles at the top.  In NASCAR's case, they may find at many tracks having no one in the stands is a plus, with lower costs offsetting any loss at the concession stands at the sparsely attended races.  I'm not a regular watcher these days, but the last time I glanced at a race for a few minutes I noticed the camera crew tried to avoid shots of the large swaths of empty seats in many sections, most likely under orders from NASCAR.  Wouldn't want people to know how low they've fallen.

Jerry
Your spot on! Nascar started painting track seats multi colors, so it looks like a crowd too!

The "TAZMUN"

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 11:04:09 AM »

Baseball is trying to set up an 82 game schedule, but certain prima donnas won't agree to taking a pay cut.  Certain pitcher has been very outspoken about expecting his full contract amount, even though he  would only be playing a half season, which for a pitcher is about 32 starts in a five man rotation.  $7,000,000 over 32 games, or nothing for zero games.  I think if I was the owner of that team I'd tell him fine, zero it is.

Jerry

Where a lot of pro sports is concerned when ownership/labor issues are the topic and it's the proverbial "millionaires versus billionaires" debate I tend to zone out and think a pox on both their houses.  I saw this story though and, surprisingly even to me, I think the pitcher has a leg to stand on. 

Baseball, as part of its collective agreement that was done by the strongest union in sports, already agreed to a pro-rated salary change relative to number of games played.  Ownership made the suggestion and the union agreed.  Now ownership is asking for another lowering of payroll based on other revenue changes; in a sport where salary as a percentage of overall revenue has never been accepted by the union and ownership has gone along with that.

Now this particular pitcher.  A young guy (compared to us they all are).  Making $7m per year this upcoming season.  Made $1m last year if what I read is correct.  Cy Young Award winner recently and only been pitching since 2016. 

He plays in Florida so presumably no state income tax.  But after Federal taxes, agent's fees, etc, optimistically estimate he's keeping 50%.  So he's making $3.5m this upcoming season and had maybe $500,000 last year.  He's still on an early contract.  So while current salaries are nothing to sneeze his really big paydays are ahead of him.  The contracts that will set him and family and kids and college etc are the ones in front of him (if he's smart).

So his Union has already agreed that he gets prorated pay this year.  82 game schedule cuts the $3.5m in half to $1.75m.  If he can afford not to work this season he has to measure that against his view of the health threat that is the team environment during the current climate.  I'm not sure I'd wager the future contract of a Cy Young award winner in baseball against a health and welfare threatened half season's salary right now.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 02:13:55 PM »

I think a combination NASCAR/MLB sport has potential.  Play ball on track infield.  Fly balls taking out windshields could be a problem.

The cars racing around a baseball stadium track would be dicey but it would keep me awake.

2soaper

• Elite CVO Member

• CVO1: 2005 Fat Boy Blue/Brushed Steel
    • CVO2: 2015 Street Black/Ghost Flames
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 02:25:46 PM »

Thats a great idea ISKI maybe mix ice hockey and basketball together that might be fun or better yet tennis and boxing.....

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 02:54:24 PM »

I think a combination NASCAR/MLB sport has potential.  Play ball on track infield.  Fly balls taking out windshields could be a problem.

The cars racing around a baseball stadium track would be dicey but it would keep me awake.

Drone vehicles buzzing around the warning track shooting salt rounds would liven up the game!  Designated tanker in American League only though.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 02:36:45 AM »

Thats a great idea ISKI maybe mix ice hockey and basketball together that might be fun or better yet tennis and boxing.....

Or Soccer & Volleyball.  Synchronized swimming & competition rowing would be fun to watch.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 02:39:50 AM »

Drone vehicles buzzing around the warning track shooting salt rounds would liven up the game!  Designated tanker in American League only though.

Morton Salt sponsor tie-in, a win-win!

When NASCAR takes it's break in the middle of the race for the drivers to have high tea & crumpets or whatever they do now, the baseball players could suit up & drive while the drivers played ball. Maybe put home plate at the finish line to make it more interesting?

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:39:31 AM »

this quarantine thing is starting to affect you guys. you need to get out some. minds are starting to go to LEFT field. may be getting a little too stir crazy. :orange:    :mango: :bananarock: :pineapple: :pepper:   :huepfenlol2:
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 09:44:45 AM »

I just realized what NASCAR could do to bring back my interest.  I'd watch this.  NASCAR figure 8 racing !! 

Seriously, there'd be TWO infields!  You could put baseball teams and marginally clad persons of interest in each one.  Fireworks; lots of big non-safe fireworks.  Hot dog vendors in bad-ass little motorized carts that actually get to (have to) cross the track.  And squirrels.  Squirrel Road Kill at NASCAR; lots of squirrels. 

I'd watch this. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 09:45:27 AM »

this quarantine thing is starting to affect you guys. you need to get out some. minds are starting to go to LEFT field. may be getting a little too stir crazy. :orange:    :mango: :bananarock: :pineapple: :pepper:   :huepfenlol2:

Uh, yeah..... just maybe he's ^^ on to something.....
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.