Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

Author Topic: CVO to Alaska  (Read 82275 times)

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
Re: CVO to Alaska
« Reply #510 on: May 21, 2019, 01:49:07 PM »

Thanks will do. looks like Toc is already booked when we plan to get there. Highway 37 is on the list!

DCFIREMANN

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #511 on: October 22, 2019, 03:37:41 PM »

I just re-visited my old thread this past weekend. Wow what a trip. I just wanted to emphasize to anyone who is/has thought about doing a trip like this to "just do it".  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think of some aspect of this trip.  I have a picture enlarged to a poster of the Arctic Circle in my office. It was a blessing for sure.  I am aware of several people that were planning the trip, but some reason couldn't do it.  Others had to cancel out do to other riders canceling.  There will always be a reason not to go.  But when you do it, the memories just don't go away.  Ask Dawg, who made the trip last summer--Congratulations.  I'm sure he would be more than happy to answer questions as well.

Absolutely. A lot of people have called me crazy for doing it alone. But the other two Fireman backed out at the last minute. One even said you won't go by yourself. My reply, WATCH ME!!!!! If you have even thought about this trip DO IT. If you have any questions or concerns, just ask.

Be Safe

THE DAWG
cvo 1  04 FLHTCSEI  Qrange/Black AKA Ole Punkin
cvo 2 05 VRSCXe Orange/Black sold
cvo 3 02 FXDWG2 Black/Gold 
cvo 4 04 FLHTCSE Blue/Black  sold
cvo 5 09 FLHTCUSE4 Red/Marron sold
cvo 6 12 FLHTCUSE Blue Saphire/Stardust Silver AKA Saphire
cvo 7 14 FLHTKSE  Blaze/Maroon
2020 CVO Limited

PROUD MEMBER EBCM #1.75 Second in command of this great organization

Also has been placed on
TRIPLE SECRET PROBATION

T-Hawk

• Civil Engineering Tech, US Air Force (Ret)
  • Senior CVO Member
  • "Sheila" My Big Tank Lady
    • AK

• CVO1: 2011.5 FLHTCUSE6
    • CVO2: 20?? FXDWG?
« Reply #512 on: October 28, 2019, 07:06:15 PM »

I can add... many of the sections of road traveled since your trip, have had major improvements.

At least that's the word I get from friends that live here and travel back and forth more often than I used to.
"Catching a Hornet inside your jacket at 65mph will more than double your vocabulary"
Tailgunner "Gunships"
Crusher True Duals
Barnett Carbon Fiber Performance Clutch
TTS Master Tune
CustomDynamics LED

napalm

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2012 FLHTCUSE7
« Reply #513 on: October 31, 2019, 07:55:50 PM »

Great pictures, great ride.  We did Alaska many years ago.  Thanks for posting.

napalm
napalm

JMK

• Senior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: FLTRUSE
    • CVO2: FLHTCUSE7(sold)
    • CVO3: FLHTCUSE3(sold)
« Reply #514 on: May 29, 2020, 09:26:48 PM »

What an adventure. Coming up on a year ago I did the trip with my brother in law. The info provided by Indenial was extremely helpful and I am grateful. Its amazing how many pictures in his thread we got to see in person. The views every day were amazing. Its not looking like we will take a long one this year so I am retrospective. We took 41 days and did 13000 miles Chesapeake Va to Alaska, looped Alaska then to Seattle, Glacier national park, and back home.

If you are planning a similar trip, read his post carefully especially on gear. We had done month long trips  across the US but never had this much extreme change in conditions. Thought we knew gear. It rained off and on every day for the first two weeks and at the end of that two weeks it was just on. After that only a little rain but had to gear up a few times.  In late June a low pressure system set in and we had 42 degrees and rode in a torrential downpour for a half day out of Edmonton before we had to stop and dry out and warm up only made 100 miles that day. Our brand new waterproof gloves leaked like a sieve as did my brother in laws Harley Davidson rain suit which had never failed him before. Heated gloves grips seats coats and socks couldn't keep him warm soaked to the bone in fire hose rain.
In Alaska a week later it was 90 degrees and so much smoke in some places you had to wear a mask, woke up one day to ashes on the bike from the wildfires. We couldn't do the hot springs the smoke got so uncomfortable on the ride there.

Stopping to take off your gloves so you can take pictures with the camera cell phone gets old quick. We missed a lot of pics because I was too cheap to buy a $90 waterproof camera I could hang on a lanyard to grab and shoot.
Get the Co2 inflation kit and plugs, we needed it once even though we started the trip with new tires, and also were able to help out a BMW rider stranded with a flat in the rain. If you need replacement cartridges on the road bicycle shops and RCI have them.
If you get bear spray be sure it is readily available and you know how to use it cause if you have to take off your gloves its too late. The huge black bear 15 feet up on a ridge right beside the Cassiar highway looked like a stuffed bear. He was so still and classically posed with one front leg up and head turned toward me. As soon as I went by he trotted down the hill. Glad I didn't stop for that pic!
Wow we got to meet some interesting people and some very kind people. The Iron butt rally was going on and we met a participant riding a Road Glide with an extra gas tank that looked like a mini keg strapped on the back seat. While we were stopped waiting for construction in Alaska he explained how he was using mold-ex mildew spray for complete personal hygiene. Met one guy from PA on a KLR650 carrying three extra tires stopped a gas station. He was eating a sandwich and drinking a cup of coffee and said he usually rode for three or four days straight before he stopped to sleep. He only had two weeks for his trip.  When we asked him how he did it he said nicotine patches and coffee. The long distance rider from Tennessee who had started in Argentina was going to Dalton highway and then back home. Met him the day we stopped for good out of Edmonton in the pouring rain he had tennis shoes and waterproof socks and was looking for a place to get boots.
At some point I am going to shout out to alllllllll the places that bailed us out with tools for repairs due to my brother in laws voyager trike kit that as it turns out was improperly installed by the dealer. We broke down a lot until we figured it out!

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #515 on: June 21, 2020, 07:38:12 AM »

Well, 6 yrs to the day, I turned it to 100K from my last pic of 50K.  It's been a hoot and I'll continue to ride until I can't.  I just returned from seeing Carol Burks near Dallas to get some Ohlin shocks put on.  He's a great guy and I can't believe the ride.  I now float and the curves are so tight and secure. Wish I'd have done this 50,000 miles ago.
Spent 5 days in the Ozarks on my way home testing them out.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35]

Page created in 0.19 seconds with 23 queries.