Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: HD Requests Survival Loan from Banking Industry  (Read 7284 times)

mark

HD Requests Survival Loan from Banking Industry
« on: June 15, 2020, 09:43:11 AM »

muddypaws

• 5k CVO Member
  • 2012 FLHTCUS7

• CVO1: 2005 CVO
    • CVO2: 2009 CVO SEUC
    • CVO3: 2017 CVO LIMITED
    • Re/Max
Re: HD Requests Survival Loan from Banking Industry
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 09:54:43 AM »

Does not look good....
Bill

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2020, 10:11:36 AM »

The link shown above is (for the moment) dead.  Any other source online showing this news only cited that link (that I can find presently).  Original source may have jumped the gun?  Curious and worth following.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2020, 10:28:04 AM »

The link shown above is (for the moment) dead.  Any other source online showing this news only cited that link (that I can find presently).  Original source may have jumped the gun?  Curious and worth following.
Yeah, I can't find the article. Maybe they scrubbed it because it was a leak.

J.D.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »

That's an old article about Warren Buffet loaning HD $300 million back in 2009. 

Here's an article from April 2020 saying they plan to secure $1.3 billion from US banks: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/motorcycles/harley-davidson-s-turnaround-plan-is-beginning-to-take-shape/ar-BB13osG0

If this $350 million loan story does not involve the 2 above stories, my guess is a $350 million loan (more or less) secured by the federal govt. as part of the recent bailout plans for US companies. 

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

mark

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2020, 12:11:28 PM »

I read the article this morning, so it was taken down before lunch.  Strange.  The article basically said HD wanted to borrow 350 mil and use 100+ mil this year, with the rest held in reserve in case they needed it. 

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2020, 12:19:58 PM »

I read the article this morning, so it was taken down before lunch.  Strange.  The article basically said HD wanted to borrow 350 mil and use 100+ mil this year, with the rest held in reserve in case they needed it.

Those weren't the terms of the Buffet loan so that's not it.  Buffet made a killing.  I think it was $300m and when Harley asked if they could repay it early to save some money Buffet ever so politely said no, he was just fine with the terms as agreed.  If memory serves it was 15% and Buffet eventually made something like $140m on the $300m loan.  That was back in the last big financial crisis (the seem to come once a decade anymore).

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2020, 01:54:42 PM »

Interesting!!!! They should stick to what they know and expand from there.... Touring bikes.... New frames, lose some weight, New suspension, Maybe water cooling...  I love Harley, I plan to stick with them and hopefully they get it right!!! If not, I just may have to test ride a Challenger...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2020, 06:37:28 AM »

Very sad to see Harley needs a big loan.  However it is not a surprise at all.  We all know they are in trouble, and have been for a while.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Texas 103

• 1K CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • TX

• CVO1: 2016 "RGU"
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2020, 07:48:18 AM »

Interesting!!!! They should stick to what they know and expand from there.... Touring bikes.... New frames, lose some weight, New suspension, Maybe water cooling...  I love Harley, I plan to stick with them and hopefully they get it right!!! If not, I just may have to test ride a Challenger...

X-2 on the Challenger, Buddy of mine owns an Indian dealership in KS. 
Too Much of a good thing is just right !! Then more is always better

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2020, 07:59:00 AM »

Great,...tax dollars (your and my money) going to support an entity that cannot figure out how to manage themselves. With all the struggles they’ve shown, their borrowing history is pretty sad. Not too sure what US federally backed banks would do that. HD will probably end up asking banks and lenders overseas. China and Russia have been known to lend money to struggling US businesses.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

mark

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2020, 08:25:21 AM »

Great,...tax dollars (your and my money) going to support an entity that cannot figure out how to manage themselves. With all the struggles they’ve shown, their borrowing history is pretty sad. Not too sure what US federally backed banks would do that. HD will probably end up asking banks and lenders overseas. China and Russia have been known to lend money to struggling US businesses.
I wondered the same, would a bank risk loaning HD $350mil?  If things continue going south and bankruptcy hits, the bank would be SOL.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2020, 10:32:15 AM »

I wondered the same, would a bank risk loaning HD $350mil?  If things continue going south and bankruptcy hits, the bank would be SOL.
Maybe it would be a bank that is declared "too big to fail" and the friendly government will bail them out with taxpayer money... again! Harley should look at securing a loan from Keith Wandel. He got millions just to F it all up! C'mon Keith, help them out.?!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2020, 10:33:51 AM »

In late 2015 & from 2016 until now, HD debt to equity ratio has averaged higher than is desirable, and it's higher than it it was when the company had bigger revenue & profits. 

In other words, when they do borrow money, the lender can charge them out the wazoo for interest.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.149 seconds with 22 queries.