Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Author Topic: Promise from Harley Davidson CEO  (Read 8694 times)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
Re: Promise from Harley Davidson CEO
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 05:55:53 PM »

Three years ago I sent a letter to the old CEO about the water in the gauges. They blew me off saying that is the way they are designed to breath. So today I sent the new CEO a letter to see what his thoughts are. He said it takes 3-4 more times of effort to keep a buyer. I purchased 8 Harley's in the past 25 years and 5 were CVO's. I'm really looking at the Indians.

That's the problem HD has with the loyalty issue - a lot of HD owners looking for new rides are not looking at HD because of HD business practices, well known bike problems that they ignore, bike lineup, etc.

A couple of my long time HD rider friends are looking at new BMWs & Goldwings.  HD is not a consideration for them, which says a lot since they have been HD only owners for years.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

WildClyde

• Full CVO Member
  • 2016 FLHXSE
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2020, 07:27:16 PM »

if 11 models added together are only 6% for total sales that is fat that can go.

Any guesses as to which of the 34 2020 models listed on the https://www.harley-davidson.com web site are the designated 11? Are there sales numbers publically available?

Street (6)
   • Harley-Davidson Street® 750
   • Street Rod®
   • Iron 883™
   • Iron 1200™
   • Forty-Eight®
   • Roadster™

Electric (1)
   • Livewire®

Cruiser (11)
   • Softail® Standard
   • Street Bob®
   • Low Rider®
   • Softail Slim®
   • Low Rider® S
   • Deluxe
   • Sport Glide™
   • Fat Bob® 114
   • FXDR™ 114
   • Breakout®
   • Fat Boy® 114

Touring (13)
   • Electra Glide® Standard
   • Heritage Classic
   • Road King®
   • Road Glide®
   • Street Glide®
   • Road King® Special
   • Road Glide® Special
   • Street Glide® Special
   • Road Glide® Limited
   • Ultra Limited
   • CVO™ Street Glide®
   • CVO™ Road Glide®
   • CVO™ Limited

Trike (3)
   • Freewheeler®
   • Tri Glide® Ultra
   • CVO™ Tri Glide®
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 07:31:03 PM by WildClyde »

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2020, 07:52:29 PM »

Harley as a designer is given (or takes) too much credit for ostensibly having so many different "models" to begin with.  They've got Sportsters, the Touring group, Softails, and the Trikes.  Everything else is just different trim packages.  Chevy makes the Camaro; and several trim variants thereof.  Harley is not different in that regard.  The radical change in pulling models is not that radical nor that significant of a change.  They're just dropping some trim or cladding packages.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2020, 11:57:17 PM »

I agree that there are too many models out there. When I started riding Harleys back in 2001 I could name every model including their alfa codes. Not so much now... I hope things get turned around. I will always ride HD though...

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2020, 06:58:46 AM »

[quote author=DOCGSS link=topic=122035.msg1520391#msg1520391 date=1604069062

I own 3 motorcycles on of which is my 2020 HD SG CVO which I love and I have always had a HD in my stable. I think HD needs to make incremental changes to improve their bikes, so that they do not lose the HD character, if I wanted a Goldwing, and they are very impressive, I would have bought one, frame and suspension is where I think they should start. But in the end this repost is for the stockholders to whom they have a fiduciary responsibility, not to their customers. A lot of attitude change needs to happen there. Like warranty support instead or looking for a way not to honor it.
[/quote]
If they would put more effort into quality, they would not have to look for ways to to not honor warranty.

Step one the make the spec looser once they have several claims.  Examples are crank shaft run out, an now for me Front Rotors.  First two set were bad with a 4 thousands run out.  Now the spec for run out is 8 thousandths.  I have put one new front tire on my 2019.  I am waiting for the 5th new set of front rotors to show up at dealer..  I have been waiting 3 months now for new rotors.  Another set would have failed in this time frame.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2020, 07:02:12 AM »

Three years ago I sent a letter to the old CEO about the water in the gauges. They blew me off saying that is the way they are designed to breath. So today I sent the new CEO a letter to see what his thoughts are. He said it takes 3-4 more times of effort to keep a buyer. I purchased 8 Harley's in the past 25 years and 5 were CVO's. I'm really looking at the Indians.

Part of quality I am talking about.  This issue dates back more years than I can count.  I know my last 4 CVO's have had gages replaced due to water in them, including my 2019.

Speakers are another high replacement item, done on my last four bikes several times..

Honestly.  Harley counts on owners who do not ride much.  If you only ride 2500 miles a year, your rotors will fail after warranty is up.  Your gages will get water in them after warranty is up.  On the 110 the lifters fail after warranty is up.  The list goes on.  I've had two 110 bikes were lifters failed inside factory warranty, one got a new engine.  But HD knows thats not the norm.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2020, 07:05:56 AM by FLSTFI Dave »
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2020, 07:34:11 AM »

My last 4 CVO's have had gages replaced due to water in them.

That's a perfect example of failing at customer loyalty. HD had decades to fix this issue and didn't, but they are happy to take our money. And that's just gauges, let's talk about stators, compensators, lifters,......etc. But I'm preaching to the choir on this site, The question is, why do we keep coming back and taking it? At some point a pretty face is just that, a pretty face.

I can see why folks are jumping to Indian, Honda, and BMW.   

"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2020, 09:04:42 AM »

It's gotta be. Over on the Honda GoldWing and Kawasaki Concours sites when they want to add performance it's usually exhaust and an ecm flash, that's it. You don't see them tearing engines apart for heads, cams, throttle body injectors and all the "might as well" changes like lifters, cam plate, cam bearings, push rods, valve springs, oil pump, tensioners and exhaust. 

Once again, HD looks at their core customers and think, "These guys just spent $35k on a motorcycle, I bet we can convince them to spend $4k more on performance upgrades". Now how is that being loyal to the core customer? Is that taking care of the people who got you there, or sticking it to them?

Helluva lot easier to achieve that on a full blown liquid cooled bike.

Yeah, HD needs to step it up in a lot of places. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with my '15 at this point. Love the bike. Can't trust it for traveling without a warranty which expires in Dec. I can renew it but with two bikes now, it won't be getting the miles it normally does. Hate the thought of even having to keep a warranty on it for piece of mind. Might be time to move on from that bike.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

Bill E

• SC

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray
    • CVO2: 2014 FLHRSE Sherwood Pearl
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2020, 12:24:17 PM »

I am keeping my Harley’s, but I just purchased a Triump R3 GT

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2020, 01:21:33 PM »

I have bud's with non-CVO bikes that have been very reliable ( well over 100,000 kms with only regular maint).......seems to me that I got to pay a lot more for a CVO that isn't nearly as reliable as a run-of-the-mill bike. This time I'm getting a regular RG Limited.....and hope it's better
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2020, 03:30:30 PM »

My latest cvo is a 19 limited.
It will be my last NEW Harley.
My old 2000 softail has 3 times the mileage and very few problems over the years.
My 19 has been in the shop for multiple issues (saddle bag lock not working again, third time).
Complete rear wheel, swing arm, and all related hardware. Not the only issues, but y’all get the message!
Not calling out to me for a $40k bike.
None of my cvo’s have been trouble free.
Sorry H-D, you lost another customer due to poor QC and poor customer support.

JMHO
 :soapbox:
HOGMIKE

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2020, 08:33:40 PM »

What Harley's core customers have became are people like us. We probably own a older bike, and have bought a toolbox full of tools, and kmow the aftermarket part number to replace whatever breaks. I am one of those core customers. 100,000 on my 09 and see no new bike in.my future. Why? Because I finally got this one somewhat to what it should have been in 09. She should be good for another 100,000 now
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Cat Eye

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2020, 11:45:26 AM »

I have been hoping that HD would change their business model to offer MTO (Made to Order) motorcycle-.  That would be a game changer.

This would allow you to order your bike with the options you want.  HD would have a higher profit margin/ motorcycle and the customer would not have to purchase parts twice...meaning less take-off parts.

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2020, 02:49:35 PM »

I have been hoping that HD would change their business model to offer MTO (Made to Order) motorcycle-.  That would be a game changer.

This would allow you to order your bike with the options you want.  HD would have a higher profit margin/ motorcycle and the customer would not have to purchase parts twice...meaning less take-off parts.
Not sure MTO would be more of a profit margin than purchasing the bike and spending additional money on P&A. P&A and motorclothes are probably their biggest money maker currently w/bike sales being down. :nixweiss:

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

sadunbar

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM # Stealth - SSBS # 1.1 - SoA # Z&E2525 .01%
    • IL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2
    • CVO2: 2000 FXR4
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2020, 04:14:20 PM »

I was on the two year plan, maybe three years between new bikes for decades.  When Harley came out with the CVO, it was all I bought.  Six of them over the years - until I purchased a 2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic.  That was it for me.  Almost hard to describe all the issues with this bike.  And I had them all.  Head gaskets, compensators, lifters lead the list.  I couldn't even tell you how many times I have replaced the compensator or lifters.    My 2000 FXR runs like a champ and is 100% trouble free.  My 2007 SEUC, well I just limit the miles I put on it, and maintain it as necessary.  I don't know if I will ever buy another motorcycle. I know I'll never buy a new Harley, and I know I'll never buy a used Harley from a dealer.  Harley will not get another dime from me. I wouldn't rule out an older used Harley if I saw something interesting.  Maybe a red flames 2002 CVO Road King?  I was the dream Harley customer, until they abandoned quality and abandoned customer service.  They would have been money ahead to take care of me as a customer, but they chose not to.  But it's a game where the customer holds the ultimate power.  I am quite certain I am not alone in my decision....
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 04:18:30 PM by sadunbar »
2007 Screamin Eagle Ultra Classic - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice
Screamin Eagle 120r
Revolution Performance EMS
Fuel Moto Jackpot headpipes and 4.5" Pro Touring Mufflers
HPI 55mm Throttle Body w/5.3 injectors
BDL clutch w/VPC92T
Traxxion AK-20
Legend Air Suspension
Brembo Brake Calipers/Rotors
Garmin Zumo
575 Chubby's
Bushtec Quantum
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All

Page created in 0.198 seconds with 22 queries.