Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Requesting some technical advice on engine build combo, 2007 Road King  (Read 779 times)

Curbside

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Hello everyone.  I'm coming here hoping you guys can assist me with some info.  My dad has a 2007 Road King.  To date I've installed a set of S&S 585 cams, the S&S "Sidewinder" 2-into-1 pipe (can you tell he grew up using S&S because they were the shizz back in 1982?!), a FuelPak legacy tuner, and made a spacer for his air cleaner cover to allow a little more airflow into it.

I've got a bit of engine-building experience, with both my carbureted Sportster and my '11 Street Glide 103, but those were generic bikes and I didn't mind modifying the factory parts doing stuff like milling/porting/polishing/etc.  Dad tells me he doesn't mind swapping parts, but wants to be able to "revert to stock" if he ever decides he wants to sell it.  He also tells me "I want it to run as good as your 103, it's a 110 and it should be able to outrun you!".  Haha!

But seriously...within the constraints of not doing any headwork, keeping the parts I've already used, and being able to keep the original CVO air cleaner cover on it, what's my best course of action for hitting 100 rear-wheel horsepower?

Would a 58mm throttle body and set of 5.7g/s injectors be likely to get me there, or at least close?

Will the factory valve springs support a 1.675:1 set of roller rockers, considering he's already got the 585 cams?

Will the duration of the 585 S&S cams support a 10.5:1 compression, should I go to a longer-duration cam if I use those pistons, or should I just go with thinner gaskets to give a small bump in compression and keep the 585?

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Requesting some technical advice on engine build combo, 2007 Road King
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2020, 07:59:22 AM »

Hello everyone.  I'm coming here hoping you guys can assist me with some info.  My dad has a 2007 Road King.  To date I've installed a set of S&S 585 cams, the S&S "Sidewinder" 2-into-1 pipe (can you tell he grew up using S&S because they were the shizz back in 1982?!), a FuelPak legacy tuner, and made a spacer for his air cleaner cover to allow a little more airflow into it.

I've got a bit of engine-building experience, with both my carbureted Sportster and my '11 Street Glide 103, but those were generic bikes and I didn't mind modifying the factory parts doing stuff like milling/porting/polishing/etc.  Dad tells me he doesn't mind swapping parts, but wants to be able to "revert to stock" if he ever decides he wants to sell it.  He also tells me "I want it to run as good as your 103, it's a 110 and it should be able to outrun you!".  Haha!

But seriously...within the constraints of not doing any headwork, keeping the parts I've already used, and being able to keep the original CVO air cleaner cover on it, what's my best course of action for hitting 100 rear-wheel horsepower?

Would a 58mm throttle body and set of 5.7g/s injectors be likely to get me there, or at least close?
Waste of funds, that is not where the constraints are until you get to the teens for horsepower

Will the factory valve springs support a 1.675:1 set of roller rockers, considering he's already got the 585 cams? Yes but the heads flatline at .400 lift so why bother, again waste of funds.

Will the duration of the 585 S&S cams support a 10.5:1 compression, should I go to a longer-duration cam if I use those pistons, or should I just go with thinner gaskets to give a small bump in compression and keep the 585? That cam needs 10.5 to come into its own and at that point that tuner will need to be jettisoned and a flash tune on a dyno will be appropriate.
See my inline comments
My recommendation
1. Bore and hone to 107" with flat tops,
2. Mill heads .020 and use .030 head gasket
3. Check deck height, 07 had short rods and pistons down, mill barrels to  zero deck if over -.006 down
4. Get it properly tuned with a flash tuner
5. If head work is done, optional, at the same time of having the heads off you will gain 10hp/7tq with a mild head package such as our Street Pro which features a 1.9 and 1.61 valves+
With headwork still stock TB and injectors and rockers 115/120tq
Add the 4.9 injectors and 55mm TB for another 7hp and a few TQ along with the SE heavy breather intake
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 08:01:41 AM by HD Street Performance »

joe98

• Junior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: 2012 FLHXSE3 CVO
Re: Requesting some technical advice on engine build combo, 2007 Road King
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2020, 07:21:59 PM »

Great advice from a well respected builder and forum member.  Can’t go wrong here...

Page created in 0.132 seconds with 21 queries.