Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Need some help or advice  (Read 1964 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Need some help or advice
« on: August 05, 2020, 11:12:35 AM »

In Sturgis, so long way from home. '09  SE Ultra coming home last night and lost throttle. Motor still running but no throttle response at all. Switched off and sat for 2/3 minutes will scratching head. Cranked back up..all good. Went about 5 miles, repeated. this time went only about 1 mile, same. 8 miles from house so 3 of us go to get trailer so as not to damage anything worse. We pull in and a minute later broke bike pulls in, says he wanted to try one more time and it ran perfect 8 miles to house. Anybody have a clue? Suspecting fly-by-wire but don't know where to start! Hints welcome.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
Re: Need some help or advice
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »

Check the throttle body wiring.

Sent from my boring Droid phone.

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

chaos901

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2000 SE Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2008 SEUC3
    • CVO3: 2010 SEUC5
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2020, 04:02:36 PM »

The Throttle By Wire will go into "Limp" mode (+/- 1,000 rpm) if it is getting conflicting information.  The limp mode allows you to get the bike to a safe place.  Personally I have "limped" about 12 miles on a highway in TX to get to someplace.  There was a recall to fix the connections at the TCA, if that has not been done it needs to be.  A wire will sometimes break where the bundle makes the 270 degree turn to connect to the TCA, least it did on my 2010. 

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2020, 04:05:31 PM »

Thinking handle bar switch going bad , have seen others with this issue and that was the fix  :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2020, 05:50:56 PM »

The Throttle By Wire will go into "Limp" mode (+/- 1,000 rpm) if it is getting conflicting information.  The limp mode allows you to get the bike to a safe place.  Personally I have "limped" about 12 miles on a highway in TX to get to someplace.  There was a recall to fix the connections at the TCA, if that has not been done it needs to be.  A wire will sometimes break where the bundle makes the 270 degree turn to connect to the TCA, least it did on my 2010.

2k, the issue that chaos 901 describes was common on the 09 and 10 touring bikes. The wiring leading to the throttle body would fry from the excess heat. Eventually, Harley came up with a different backing plate which would shield some of the heat as replaced the wiring. I had this done on my SERG but under warranty. Good luck!

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Good news and thanks!!!!
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:05:58 AM »

Special hand clap to Don (twolanerider) and Unc (Mikey T) and everyone else that suggested things to check. Bout a week after we got back from Sturgis, found a suspect loose fuse and fixed same. Held my tongue so as not to pizz off the gremlins. Well now I'm saying FIXED over 2 months and 1000mi later, all good.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 06:08:48 AM by 2k »
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 02:24:38 PM »

Now we just have to hope you didn't jinx anything by saying it out loud!!

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.