Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Replacing cams, tappets and push rods  (Read 1209 times)

rlundy

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

Replacing cams, tappets and push rods
« on: November 18, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »

I'm planning to install new cams, tappets and push rods on my 07 Ultra Classic CVO.  Bike has about 50k miles.  I got it back in March-April of this year.  Just came back from mountain trip in Bryson City NC.  It has a cold ticking sound and dripping oil.  I've heard the OEM tappets are junk on the screamin eagle 110.  I'm considering going with an S&S kit with adjustable push rods.  Found an S&C video on how to replace these without removing the enginge.  Any tips and suggestions?  Thanks.

Came across this S&S video.  Looking for video on the tappets.

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
Re: Replacing cams, tappets and push rods
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 03:00:33 PM »

Be careful on the cam choice, most will not yield the same torque character and will force a retune.

Priz

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MD

• CVO1: 08 CVO Road King FLHRSE4
    • CVO2: 50 EL custom chop
    • CVO3: 76 FLH
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 08:41:14 PM »

You may want to consider changing the inner cam bearings with the stronger non caged roller bearings while you are in there. Did my tappets and adjustable push rods last winter and installed rocker lockers at the same time.

Now working on my 08 RK compensator that had all 4 spring plates in pieces when I inspected it.
Problems cannot be solved using the same level of awareness that created them!

Homer 661

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2020, 04:26:09 PM »

I just did the lifters on my 2015 CVO at 16,000m engine is now quieter than ever. None of my followers had any grooves/lines but one had a bit of side to side play. I went with lifters from Automotive Machine and Supply in Cleburne, Tx. after much research. Check it out ..... https://amsmotomachine.com/index.php/main-harley-parts

Also if you need an adj set of pushrods I have a Screaming Eagle set in classifieds that I didn't use cause I wound up coming in from the top end.

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.