Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Can you vent your motor Too Much?  (Read 1549 times)

mrmoto95

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

Can you vent your motor Too Much?
« on: January 05, 2021, 12:27:02 PM »

Hello, I am new, thanks for the add.
I have a 2018 CVO Roadglide I was experiencing fluid transfer. I got the Harley "Fix" and still putting on miles to see if it helped. Recently took a 3000 plus mile trip and at 1 point my air cleaner was saturated in oil from what I assume would be the breather vents. While researching a bypass for that I saw they make vented dipstick for your reservoir.
Question is  Can you vent your motor Too Much?  Before either causing poor performance or, hopefully not, engine damage from improper oil flow.
Curious, thanks for any feedback.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Can you vent your motor Too Much?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2021, 01:20:09 PM »

The vent hose mod for the primary should fix your transfer problem.  How many miles on your bike?  Don't want to scare you but if your not familiar with these bikes reading up on sumping issues (on this site) would help you understand these bikes.  The fix for that (assuming no excessive cylinder wear)  is a 2020 oil pump, plate & seal. Not everyone experiences these problems but a lot of people see excessive breather pressure or to much oil left in the sump.  The test for that is easy and can be found on here.  When my bike was new and I ran my oil full I always seemed to smell oil after a ride so after some research I run it an 1/8 below the dip stick mark now and change oil often, it helped now I only smell oil when it gets a little beat or is ready for a change but recently I switched to a 20-60 redline oil and no more smell, also love their pink tranny fliud. Don't over fill your oil.  Venting your motor a little better is not gonna damage it.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2021, 01:37:33 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2021, 07:55:57 PM »

I would perform a sump oil test and also leakdown. Engine health is the prime cause of oil carry over, sumping has other symptoms but crosses over some.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 09:03:19 PM »

"Over Venting" is something I've wondered about, too. I have the A1 cycles vented oil cap and simply cannot keep oil from spewing out of that thing, even with running the oil lower than what they recommend. I am not going to short my bike a bunch of oil in order to keep it from purging out of the filter. I have a 2020 so the sumping has been addressed, so may just put my stock oil cap back on. I would be open to other methods of venting, but hate cleaning oil off the entire right side of my bike after every use.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2021, 10:03:56 PM »

Same comment, do a sumping test and a leakdown. Venting is not the issue, blowby or excessive sump oil is likely the cause.
Don't forget these motors also have a known issue with piston oilers that are not tight and that spews extra sump oil into the crankcase.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 05:50:33 PM by HD Street Performance »

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 21 queries.