Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ratcheting noise from pinion  (Read 1513 times)

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Ratcheting noise from pinion
« on: January 13, 2021, 09:46:50 AM »

Did a cam job on my ‘07 FXDSE around Thanksgiving. About 40k total miles. Less than 1000 on the build, most of those during light riding for tuning. Went to FuelMoto and got Andrews 57h cams, woods alpha lifters, s&s pushrods, power vision tuner. By the way those guys provide amazing customer service. Kept the stock plate and pump but installed a new relief spring and a pressure gauge to keep an eye on things. Had some crazy racket from my primary last week after cleaning and oiling the compensator springs(stock tuna can). I cleaned it because While I was searching what sounded like a very loud lifter knocking and valve train noise with the bike missing and a couple times dying, after a 2up ride last weekend. I started pulling covers and checking everything(valve lash, cam chains, primary chain tension) even pulled rocker cover to watch oil flow. I was on a mission. So I didn’t find anything really obvious but the compensator springs were dry and had some slight surface rust. I cleaned and oiled them and continued looking. Not finding anything I put her back together and started it to test. Sounds like pebbles or marbles in the primary but can hear noise on the right side also. I know sound travels though so I was confident I had it narrowed to that compensator. Had a buddy hand me his lightly used se comp that he removed to install a baker but it’s missing the one part that everybody is always talking about. The thrust bearing. Anybody know where I can get one of those damn things? Anyways, spent last night tearing everything back down and figured since I’m doing an upgrade I’ll check this girl out more in depth. Runout is .003 with chain installed. So I figured I’d check it without chain also. Still .003 so not bad. IPB seem quiet but I’m going to pull the clutch and check anyway because there’s a bearing noise I THINK is a wheel bearing. Did I mention I’m deaf and can’t pinpoint sounds very well? I’m lucky I hear these things at all. I have slight wear on cam lobes and found that one of the lifters has an obvious flat spot in the roller bearings. Couldn’t really feel anything in the other rollers but thought I might have felt a slight tick just once. Never felt it again. Cams are still ok I will not be reusing any of the lifters. Looks to me like strange uneven wear on cams at inner cam bearing. I’ll replace them again since it’s practically free. The oil pump and plate have scoring probably caused by the crappy compensator. My biggest concern though is when I went to turn the pinion to check runout with the primary chain installed. Sounded like a 2” ratchet with a 6” socket on it. Felt like one too. I can’t see how this could be in any way normal. So I’m guessing either main bearing or the rotor/stator is royally screwed. Not sure which one sounds better as I’m already looking at a hefty parts invoice. Didn’t have my service truck last night so couldn’t get the clutch off to pull inner primary and check. Tonight’s project I guess. I took a video of the pinion noise but apparently iPhone uses the wrong file type. I have a few pictures I’ll throw in following posts.  I’ll call FuelMoto today about the lifters and pick their brains while I’m at it.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

Re: Ratcheting noise from pinion
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2021, 09:48:52 AM »

Scoring on pump

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 09:49:53 AM »

Cam plate

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 01:05:35 PM »

Forgot to mention I also have, until my M6 gets here, the factory tensioner. And if the main bearing is chit like I think it is I’m sure that’s the culprit.

rigidthumper

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2021, 01:26:44 PM »

All those pics look normal.
Based on your description, I'd get the primary off, and inspect the bearing & race.
I'd wager the inner primary bearing & race are toast.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2021, 02:17:22 PM »

All those pics look normal.
Based on your description, I'd get the primary off, and inspect the bearing & race.
I'd wager the inner primary bearing & race are toast.

You are more than likely right. I’ve been trying to put together a cost to replace IPB and transmission bearing and main shaft bearings all day during down time. I took a video that I wish it would let me load on here because I can’t believe I’m seeing it. Everybody I’ve shown just couldn’t get it. I’m just glad I decided against riding it out this weekend after I heard the noise. 6 hour round trip on bad bearings wouldn’t have been good.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2021, 02:19:22 PM »

If you pm me your email I’ll send you this video. I would like to get it out there and see what people say.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2021, 02:21:42 PM »

you cannot upload a video directly to the site but if you put it on youtube you can embed it in a post
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2021, 04:37:46 PM »

Let’s try that now.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2021, 08:53:47 PM »

Well I’m glad I was right about something. It was the rotor and stator messed up. I’m guessing from the extremely weak comp springs allowing so much movement in the case. Still gotta deal with the cam case issues but I’m feeling a lot better now that I don’t have to split the case and rebuild the whole damn motor. Time to go buy a lottery ticket.

papahead03

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 03:20:09 PM »

You know when I bought this bike I was all about this 110. Didn’t dig deep enough into the forums and look into my year model. So ‘07 was the first year for 110, 6 speed, and the auto tensioner. And second year for a lot of smaller bits here and there on the dyna. I found my pinion bearing ok but then doing the tranny main shaft bearing shot. I can grab the shaft and rattle it around in the bearing. Way too much play. So now it’s a full tranny tear down with new seal and bearings going back in. The clutch hub had busted teeth so new hub and bearing. Née inner primary bearing because the race had to be pulled anyway. FuelMoto warranting the lifter with a bad bearing but I’m going back together with SE pump and cam plate. And to top it off I checked and my swingarm bearing and bushing were shot. I’ve spent about 2k on parts in a week but have probably a few weeks to go before I’ll have her back on the road.

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 21 queries.