Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Third Party Picture Hosting Site  (Read 1501 times)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
Third Party Picture Hosting Site
« on: January 28, 2021, 02:06:42 AM »

Hello all.

I've been using Picture Trail for my picture hosting for around 15 years now, but they sent me an e-mail saying that due to a turn down in the use of their site, they're closing up shop the end of February.

I have Dropbox and Apple i-Cloud.  I got an e-mail from Microsoft and they offer a cloud based hosting site, but I think it's more for personal or business use than using it for the purpose of posting in forums etc.  But I do understand they have share folders and that "might" work to post from.

Picture Bucket seems to have tons of advertising and that's a big turn off for them.

Who do you guys use and why?  What kind of fee/month are they charging?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black
Board Track Racer Project, Ultima 113"/6spd
2021 Coleman UT400 Side By Side

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Re: Third Party Picture Hosting Site
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2021, 05:58:32 AM »

Hey Dan.......btw, thanks for the music. I use postimages.org, might not be what you are looking for as it gives any of your pictures a web address and this allows you to post most anywhere. If it's free it's for me.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2021, 06:40:54 AM »

I've used Picturetrail since about 2002 also and got the same email.   I've already went to their web site and captured the photos that I want to keep.

I've also been using Flickr for about eight years.  Flickr Pro has unlimited storage for $20 a year.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 10:49:06 AM »

I don't use it but one of my techie buddies uses smugmug for several years now and he likes it.

After the photobucket BS I won't bother anymore.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2021, 04:11:26 PM »

I've used Picturetrail since about 2002 also and got the same email.   I've already went to their web site and captured the photos that I want to keep.

I've also been using Flickr for about eight years.  Flickr Pro has unlimited storage for $20 a year.

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

JCZ, with Flickr Pro, do they allow for posting of pictures on forums like Picture Trail does, or did?

Thanks again!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 05:39:26 PM »

Thanks all for the comments and suggestions.

JCZ, with Flickr Pro, do they allow for posting of pictures on forums like Picture Trail does, or did?

Thanks again!

Yes!  All of the Ride Reports and photos that I've posted in Pictures since about 2010 have been photos captured from flickr.  Jock has posted more photos on this forum than anybody else and he's the one that turned me on to Flickr.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=121408.0

Dan, the regular Flickr is free however it's limited to how many photos that you can post.  I used it for about six months before I maxed out on space and then paid for the Flickr Pro with unlimited storage.  I've since learned that many photographers use Flickr Pro for that reason.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 05:42:20 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dan_Lockwood

• 1K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2021, 11:59:14 AM »

Yes!  All of the Ride Reports and photos that I've posted in Pictures since about 2010 have been photos captured from flickr.  Jock has posted more photos on this forum than anybody else and he's the one that turned me on to Flickr.

https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=121408.0

Dan, the regular Flickr is free however it's limited to how many photos that you can post.  I used it for about six months before I maxed out on space and then paid for the Flickr Pro with unlimited storage.  I've since learned that many photographers use Flickr Pro for that reason.

Right now Flickr Pro is $59.95/yr.  That's more than I want to pay to be able to post pictures in forums.

I did sent them a contact note and asked a few questions.  Will see what they have to say.

Thanks!
Dan

2009 SERG Orange / Black

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 21 queries.