Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Author Topic: bike lift  (Read 3539 times)

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
Re: bike lift
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2021, 08:11:39 PM »

MJ, did you use your lift much before sinking it in the floor?  If so how much do you notice the difference in height?

I've used my old table lift for years and have gotten so used to its work height I really don't want to have to adjust "down" to losing the several inches that would go away were it in the floor.  As much as I like the idea of burying the lift that way I'm afraid the lost height would annoy the hell out of me.

Yes...I used it before it went in the ground, but just lower the roll around stool and it's still not bad. We are moving in 2 months so it will be back above ground in the new house...unless I decide to cut the floor again.  And also yes---I highly suggest the side extensions if it is above ground...makes life much easier and I am only 5'6".....

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2021, 03:43:37 AM »

Has anyone tried that one that's powered by a hand drill?  It's supposedly supposed to be a good sturdy set up.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2021, 05:54:24 AM »

I have 2 Sears (Craftsman) lifts. Never had a problem and can move the bike anywhere. I think I paid $90 on sale. Strap them down if need be and they aren't going anywhere. Handles my Ultra like a boss.
Big difference between a lift and a jack.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2021, 08:34:42 AM »

Big difference between a lift and a jack.
Yes. I have both from Harbor Freight and both work good. Depending on what you want to access on the bike at the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mark

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2021, 09:05:33 AM »

Some guys have bought the HF lift table and have no complaints.  However, if you look at a commercial grade lift table vs the HF, you’ll see a big difference in sturdiness.  There are many posts and pics on line of the HF table failing.  $1200 vs. $400...there’s a reason for that.

CVO Couple

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • SC

• CVO1: 2015 FLHTKSE
    • CVO2: 2008 FXSTC Anniversary
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2021, 09:13:59 AM »

Most of the failures pictures I’ve seen of the HF lift have been of the one particular item number with the non C channel lower frame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjb765

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2011 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO2: 2015 FLHXSE--sold
    • CVO3: 2018 FLTRXSE
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2021, 01:21:31 PM »

Some guys have bought the HF lift table and have no complaints.  However, if you look at a commercial grade lift table vs the HF, you’ll see a big difference in sturdiness.  There are many posts and pics on line of the HF table failing.  $1200 vs. $400...there’s a reason for that.

Yes there is......and I always think if it happened to someone else, it could happen to me. With all the people using it, the odds are against it, but not going to take the chance.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2021, 04:11:59 PM »

Yes...I used it before it went in the ground, but just lower the roll around stool and it's still not bad. We are moving in 2 months so it will be back above ground in the new house...unless I decide to cut the floor again.  And also yes---I highly suggest the side extensions if it is above ground...makes life much easier and I am only 5'6".....

Since I moved now three years ago my lift gets used quite a bit less than it used to.  Not as many others coming by for service and beers now without the big shop and (probably) with all the stupid of 2020/21 impacting how much we're all out messing around.  My old lift has quite a few miles on it but the thing still keeps on working just fine.  It's strong enough to do all I need from the Road Glide at one end to little bikes on the other.  But.... the last couple years I still keep thinking about something new. 

The Handy 1200 goes higher.  I like it's lifting and locking mechanism. And it'd be new.  Still probably not replacing the old one.  Just works too well.  If I sunk it in the floor; that could be an excuse.  Or when it breaks; but it will probably last longer than I do.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2021, 04:55:28 PM »

Yes there is 2K. Garage space is the biggest to me. I can have both bikes on my jacks, work on them then push them in the corner and drive my truck back in the garage. If using the big lifts you still have to use another small jack to take the wheels off. By using the jack the wheels are off the ground and easy to R2. Recon it's all in what you want and need.

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 05:02:22 PM »

I have been using the one from harbor freight for 5 years now. Bought it from a friend after her husband passed away way way to early but he used it for 2 years before I got it. Have another friend that has the same lift been used for over 10 years with no problems. The only thing that was done was change out their tire chock for a better one and add different tie downs.

DaBigNuttedMan

• Steered & Geared by DaBigNuttedMan
  • Elite CVO Member
  • No Skool Straight F Fuc_ PowerCustom PypeDaShi_

• CVO1: 2011 RoadGlide Ultra Screamin Eagle
    • CVO2: 1969 Rupp Roadster chromed up Shriner Special
    • CVO3: Grasshopper 725 w/48" snothrower
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2021, 05:36:32 PM »

Since I moved now three years ago my lift gets used quite a bit less than it used to.  Not as many others coming by for service and beers now without the big shop and (probably) with all the stupid of 2020/21 impacting how much we're all out messing around.  My old lift has quite a few miles on it but the thing still keeps on working just fine.  It's strong enough to do all I need from the Road Glide at one end to little bikes on the other.  But.... the last couple years I still keep thinking about something new. 

The Handy 1200 goes higher.  I like it's lifting and locking mechanism. And it'd be new.  Still probably not replacing the old one.  Just works too well.  If I sunk it in the floor; that could be an excuse.  Or when it breaks; but it will probably last longer than I do.
Hey guys I know its been a while scince posting anything, but any way I put a Handy electric hydraulic 1500 in the ground and it works great, cost more but goes up 48"
Life begins just outside your comfort zone and you havent lived until you push a full dress harley on a hot day up a grade because your low mile twincam fell apart, and your convinced it's to bitchen to leave it there.           Ugh pardon me but do you have any beer?

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2021, 07:42:23 PM »

Yes there is 2K. Garage space is the biggest to me. I can have both bikes on my jacks, work on them then push them in the corner and drive my truck back in the garage. If using the big lifts you still have to use another small jack to take the wheels off. By using the jack the wheels are off the ground and easy to R2. Recon it's all in what you want and need.

A buddy of mine is fortunate enough, like Mike, to have his Handy Lift in ground, and when it comes time to pull the wheels off for new tires and such he is able to put his RG on sideways and lift it up to remove them. Pretty slick!
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2021, 01:30:28 PM »

56.....Now that is using your noodle.   8)

Jbbrown73

• Elite CVO Member
    • IL

• CVO1: 2015 CVO RG Ultra
    • CVO2: 2002 FLHRSEI (Brandywine)
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2021, 04:00:55 PM »

A shop I know uses the DT by from Direct Lift. He has 3 of these in his shop and says they work great and last, even being used daily putting heavy Harleys on them.

https://directlift.com/product/pro-cycle-dt/
Carterville, (Southern) Illinois (that would be 350 miles south of Chicago)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2021, 06:08:23 PM »

A buddy of mine is fortunate enough, like Mike, to have his Handy Lift in ground, and when it comes time to pull the wheels off for new tires and such he is able to put his RG on sideways and lift it up to remove them. Pretty slick!

Wait, what?  That's something I hadn't thought of.  If the lift was narrow enough to come up between the wheels and nothing hung below that would be slick.  Trying to bring up the mental image of my bikes' frame now seeing them from the side.  Pretty sure some part of the kickstand protrudes slightly below but not sure if this would be an issue or not.  Almost certain it wouldn't work on the old FXRs.  Still a cool idea though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 22 queries.