Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Well ain't that a pile of crapolla  (Read 3509 times)

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
  • monter le cheval de fer (French)
    • NC

• CVO1: 2013 SERK-Dressed in BLUE of course.
    • CVO2: 2002 Supercharged HD F150 512 RWHP
    • CVO3: 1956 BelAir Sports Coupe
Well ain't that a pile of crapolla
« on: January 30, 2021, 10:28:55 AM »

Several years ago my Son and I left Seattle and went across the top of Wa. and down Hwy 101 to PCH all the way to San Francisco with plans of San Fran to Tijuana in a few. Well the few was gonna be this year and BAM!! I don't see how they will fix this without a bridge. Scroll to bottom.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/a-massive-chunk-of-california-s-iconic-highway-1-near-big-sur-collapsed-into-the-pacific-after-winter-storm/ar-BB1derG6?ocid=msedgdhp
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
Re: Well ain't that a pile of crapolla
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2021, 11:17:24 AM »

There are some 'detours' that are quite nice to ride....not sure about this exact location though
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »

There is a go around if you know how to find it. 

From Carmel go over to Hwy 101 south.  At King City exit on Jolon Rd. and turn right towards Fort Hunter Leggitt.  At the Y intersection turn right on Mission Rd. towards Hunter Leggitt and left on Nacimento-Ferguson Rd. and back over to Hwy. 1. 

You will come back on to Hwy. 1 just south of Lucia.  A few miles north is Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park where you'll find McWay Falls.   From the parking lot it's approx. 100 yrds down an easy trail to where the fall drops on to the beach of the ocean.  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g240329-d1379030-Reviews-McWay_Falls-Big_Sur_California.html

The area where Hwy. 1 fell in to the ocean is just north of there a few miles. 

You can continue south on Hwy. 1.  Be sure to stop at Hearst Castle for one of the tours and ride through the town of Cambria.  In Cambria you might want to tour Nit Wit Ridge......  https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g32148-d143769-Reviews-Nitt_Witt_Ridge-Cambria_San_Luis_Obispo_County_California.html
« Last Edit: January 30, 2021, 06:38:35 PM by JCZ »
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2021, 09:15:58 PM »

EDIT****

A little further research....from Lucia, the slide is approx. ten miles north.  So you would not make it up to McWay Falls.  However, you could reach McWay Falls from Monterey headed south on Hwy. 1.  That some of the most rugged coast line, anyway.  The slide is south of McWay Falls and north of Lucia.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 11:56:40 PM »

This happens with great regularity on HWY 1.  Looking at the logs and sediment uphill...It's obvious this location needs a culvert or other method to move water underneath the road.  Don't know if it had one before this wash-out, but this won't be the last time if they don't provide drainage.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

• My ignorance is just as good as your knowledge, when my information changes, I alter my conclusions
  • 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 05:39:10 AM »

Great advice JCZ. Does anyone know if Carmel Valley Rd is paved all the way to Greenfield which is just north of King City? If it is looks like the only thing we would miss would be the ocean views. Any help appreciated.
Most Honda Goldwing riders will blink when hit in the head  with a ball-peen hammer (sans helmet)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 06:03:51 AM »

It's paved all the way.  Not many unpaved roads in Calif.  Arizona, on the other hand............many, many, many unpaved roads. :huepfenlol2:

Only about a 10-15 mile stretch that you'll miss.  And since it's just a few miles, you could ride south on Hwy. 1 from Carmel to the road block and turn around then when you reconnect with Hwy. 1 south of the slide you could ride north to the road block and then turn around......that way you're only missing approx. a mile of actual Hwy. 1.

West Coast GTG   

• 5k CVO Member
    • NC

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2021, 04:37:28 AM »

It's paved all the way.  Not many unpaved roads in Calif.  Arizona, on the other hand............many, many, many unpaved roads. :huepfenlol2:

Only about a 10-15 mile stretch that you'll miss.  And since it's just a few miles, you could ride south on Hwy. 1 from Carmel to the road block and turn around then when you reconnect with Hwy. 1 south of the slide you could ride north to the road block and then turn around......that way you're only missing approx. a mile of actual Hwy. 1.
That's just one more reason I hate  you left SD a few weeks before our meet up. BTW: I'm sure you are still a SD resident, correct.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2021, 05:54:44 AM »

That's just one more reason I hate  you left SD a few weeks before our meet up. BTW: I'm sure you are still a SD resident, correct.

Arizona now.  Tucson......if you're going to pass through, let me know a day ahead of time.  We'll be traveling the east coast this summer with the travel trailer (no bike).

West Coast GTG   

BigLew

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 03:03:10 PM »

Arizona now.  Tucson......if you're going to pass through, let me know a day ahead of time.  We'll be traveling the east coast this summer with the travel trailer (no bike).
JC give me a shout when you are around NC

BigLew

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2021, 07:41:43 PM »

JC give me a shout when you are around NC

BigLew

Will do!  We were in Maggie Valley for a few weeks, a couple of years ago.  Chip introduced us to Dale at Wheels Through Time.  Sad note today....RIP Dale!  We also met up with MikeyT and and his wife.

I'll post up in "In Town" when we get ready to roll through.  However, we'll be in my truck pulling our travel trailer this time, not on the bike.

West Coast GTG   

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2021, 07:59:54 PM »

Will do!  We were in Maggie Valley for a few weeks, a couple of years ago.  Chip introduced us to Dale at Wheels Through Time.  Sad note today....RIP Dale!  We also met up with MikeyT and and his wife.

I'll post up in "In Town" when we get ready to roll through.  However, we'll be in my truck pulling our travel trailer this time, not on the bike.
Isn't your TT a toy hauler?

sent using Tapatalk

PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2021, 09:21:34 PM »

Isn't your TT a toy hauler?

sent using Tapatalk

That was our last RV.....when we were full time RVers.  We bought a winter home in Tucson and now have a travel trailer.  One that we can take on any road in this country and stop at any gas station in this country!   :P

West Coast GTG   

Bobs14Limited

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CO

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2021, 08:58:22 PM »

It's paved all the way.

Has the pavement been redone in the last couple years? Last time I went along that road it was really beat up in many places.

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »

PCH

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 21 queries.