Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Early SERK seat similarities/differences  (Read 2361 times)

OddN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
Early SERK seat similarities/differences
« on: February 03, 2021, 09:54:04 AM »

I have been looking for a stock seat for my 2002 SERK, but they don't show up very often. Saw one on the bay just before I bought my bike, but since I wasn't 100% sure I'd buy that exact bike I didn't buy it. And I really like the Corbin Solo seat, so I really have no rush to get one. I have since been reading a lot about bad quality on the original stingray skin, and I guess one reason they don't show up used a lot is that many of the seats are damaged and have been replaced with something else a long time ago. Also, many of the used parts showing up are from salvaged bikes, and often the seat gets damaged in the accident.

So I have been looking at alternatives. And as far as I know, seats from a 2003 or a 2007 SERK should fit on the 2002. Both frame, tank and tank console are identical as far as I know. The 2007 I think has a slightly wider rear fender, but i don't think that should affect the fitment of the seat, or does it?

The seat off a 2003 looks really identical except from the lack of stingray inlays. Instead it has ordinary leather inlays with almost the same shape and some big square studs. I cannot really tell from the pictures if they are exactly the same shape. The seat also lacks the band of black studs around the passenger portion. But if one were to restore a stock seat, would it be just as good to begin with a 2003 seat? I mean if you were to replace the inlays with new stingray material anyhow. Or would it just look funny and wrong?

Another alternative would be the 2007 SERK seat. It has flames that would match the paint really well, but only the passenger part would be suitable for a stingray inlay. But am I correct in assuming this seat will also fit a 2002?

Here's the stock 2002 stingray seat:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

Re: Early SERK seat similarities/differences
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 10:10:28 AM »

2003 seat:

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 10:11:29 AM »

2007 seat:

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2021, 11:00:21 AM »

That narrow "tail" on the dash is what the SERK seat has to match that many other seats don't; or at least don't do well.  Another one that does look good with the SERK seat is any seat for the SEEGs; the 04-05 SE Electra Glides.  A lot of the Road King seats from that frame and tank combination will work ok but the are wider at the nose of the seat.  It looks ok.  You won't notice the difference much unless you had something with a skinnier nose sitting next to it to compare against.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2021, 11:02:56 AM »

And... yes, the stingray seats are almost never seen.  They were on that bike only as production pieces.  Also in the P&A catalog for a short time.  You're also right that the inserts suffered from coming apart.  So it's very rare to see one anymore; and even more rare to find one in even a decent condition.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2021, 01:15:58 PM »

And... yes, the stingray seats are almost never seen.  They were on that bike only as production pieces.  Also in the P&A catalog for a short time.  You're also right that the inserts suffered from coming apart.  So it's very rare to see one anymore; and even more rare to find one in even a decent condition.

That was what I was afraid of. But I'm not in any hurry, just wanted to review my options.

OddN

• Full CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2021, 01:25:03 PM »

That narrow "tail" on the dash is what the SERK seat has to match that many other seats don't; or at least don't do well.  Another one that does look good with the SERK seat is any seat for the SEEGs; the 04-05 SE Electra Glides.  A lot of the Road King seats from that frame and tank combination will work ok but the are wider at the nose of the seat.  It looks ok.  You won't notice the difference much unless you had something with a skinnier nose sitting next to it to compare against.

Good point. In fact the Corbin solo I have on the bike right now is originally from a 04/05 SEEG. And it fits the narrow tank console really well. Actually I think it looks better than the stock seat on any 2007 SERK I have seen. Those look almost too wide for the console, like in my picture above.

So my best bet, if I cannot find a genuine 2002 stingray seat in decent condition, is to take a 2003 seat and have the plain leather insert replaced with some stingray skin. It looks like the stitching on the sides are slightly different, but probably close enough.

FallbrookSERK

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2022, 03:39:19 PM »

My 2002 came With one in a box.  I’m open to offers, I’m not wanting to sell but I’m open to the right offer

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.