Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dale Walker, Wheels Through Time  (Read 1556 times)

porthole

• 10K CVO Member
  • Welcome to the Machine

• CVO1: 2005.3217-45 FLHTCSE2
    • Porthole II
Dale Walker, Wheels Through Time
« on: February 04, 2021, 06:31:59 PM »

From the WTT facebunk page.

It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history.  At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson.  His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.

As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.

In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC.  From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged.  Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally. 

Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was not just something to be observed but rather experienced.  Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious.  It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history.  His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.” 

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity.  He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum. 

Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.

A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date.  At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing. At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751. 

All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history.  The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.
:fireman: Duane  :fireman:

MV 2013

1982 LowRider * 1974 XLCH * 1972 Adnoh
You can't control the weather, only how you deal with it

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
Re: Dale Walker, Wheels Through Time
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 09:03:20 PM »

Very sad. Thanks for the posting. We plan to stop there this summer on our trip on the Blue ridge.

Grizzly

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO1: '05 Jalapeno 1 of 692 sold
    • CVO2: '08 Duracell #601 of 1,800
Wheels Through Time Founder - Dale Walkster
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 09:51:44 PM »

It is with heavy hearts that we at Wheels Through Time let you know that our beloved founder, curator, and friend Dale Walksler passed away peacefully, with his wife by his side, at home on February 3, 2021, after a courageous four year battle with cancer.

In 1967 at the age of 15, Dale built his first motorcycle, sparking a life-long love affair with American Motorcycles and their history.  At 22, Dale established a Harley/Davidson Franchise in Mt. Vernon, Ill: Dale’s Harley-Davidson.  His signal success as a dealer grew to include the decades-long work that would define his life: the creation of the museum we now know as Wheels Through Time.

As the museum collection grew, so too did Dale’s vision for the museum, his reputation, his mechanical and curatorial skills, and a goal of always exceeding expectations of customers and guests.

In 2002 Dale opened the Wheels Through Time Museum in Maggie Valley, NC.  From humble beginnings in a small Illinois town, one of the world’s premier collections of rare and vintage American motorcycles, automobiles, and memorabilia emerged.  Wheels Through Time became an Iconic American Institution and known internationally. 

Those who have visited Wheels Through Time know that Dale’s passion was not just something to be observed but rather experienced.  Whether it was listening to his vast knowledge and stories of transportation history or watching him start a motorcycle, his was a passion that was infectious.  It inspired in many, that same desire to preserve and celebrate American motorcycle history.  His genius rested on the latter portion of the Wheels Through Time logo, “The Museum That Runs.” 

Dale was a man of vision, zeal, intensity, imagination, and generosity.  He will be deeply missed by his family, friends, and the staff at Wheels Through Time, and as well as by the countless tens of thousands who have visited the museum. 

Dale’s vision was not just one of preserving the past but was also focused on the future. In that regard, he made great strides to ensure that the museum and his legacy would carry on for generations to come.

A celebration of Dale’s life will be announced at a later date.  At this time, we ask for privacy for the family as they mourn his passing. At Dale’s request, in lieu of flowers, please send any donations and condolences to Wheels Through Time, PO Box 790, Maggie Valley, NC 28751. 

All donations will be dedicated to ensuring the continuance of the legacy that Dale created far into the future and to giving museum visitors historical insight into the vital role that transportation has played in American history.  The thrill of hearing the cycles run coupled with thoughts of riding into the wind will continue to evoke thoughts of Dale’s vibrant spirit --- and his dream.
ALL 10 Provinces & ALL Lower 48 States ridden on "MY" bike

NW Territories and Alaska, here I come!

motor1

• Elite CVO Member
  • Current Harley: 2022 FLTRKSE

• CVO1: 2022 FLTRKSE
    • CVO2: 2022 FLRTXSE traded, 2015 FLTRUSE traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLTRXSE traded, 2011 FLTRUSE traded
Re: Wheels Through Time Founder - Dale Walkster
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2021, 10:02:35 PM »

I will be send something. I visited the museum about seven years ago while touring in the area. I want to spending almost an entire day there and had a great time. Sad to hear the news.
Excuses are the conditions under which you have failed.

ultrafxr

• There are no sure answers, only better questions. - Dick Van Dyke
  • 5k CVO Member
  • No problem is so small it cannot be misunderstood.
    • TN

• CVO1: 2020 FLHTCUTG Tahitian Teal
    • CVO2: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire-traded
    • CVO3: 2012 FLHTCUSE7 Electric Orange/Black Diamond-traded
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2021, 12:23:32 AM »

Thanks for posting.  I learned of this earlier today from my dealer.  I've been to WTT many times and enjoyed the opportunity to visit with Dale.  He was truly one of a kind and we sorely need many more like him.  Condolences to his family and many friends.

Places ridden on my bike from my driveway.
IBA member # 45520

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2021, 07:05:44 AM »

Such a huge loss to the motorcycle world.  Dale had a deep and true passion for motorcycles and was very knowledgeable.  I have been to his museum many times.  I had the pleasure of talking with him a few times.  First time he fired up a Crocker and did a burnout on it in the museum.  Another time he fired up two different VL's of the same year so we could hear the difference between the regular one and the high compression version.

Such a sad loss.  RIP Dale, you will be missed by many.
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2021, 11:12:09 AM »

He will be missed... Rest In Peace
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

VaEagle

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 06 FLHTCUSE Autumn Haze -SOLD
    • CVO2: 09 FLTRSE3 Orange- sold
    • CVO3: Who knows what?
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »

Thoughts and prayers go out for him and his family, sad to hear of his passing.

08glide

• 1K CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2012 cvoseuc
    • CVO2: 08 sg 105 anniv
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2021, 02:36:38 PM »

last time I was there he was supposed to be leaving for a chiropractor appt. 5 min later he walked back out into the shop & fire up a hill climber for a large group of us he had been talking with (giving us a history lesson). Dale said he went to the lobby, called & canceled the chiro appt because he was enjoying the crowd & conversations. That' was his heart. Enjoying people. RIP my friend.
"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."  (James Dean)

Phantom309

• 2014 Ultra Limited
  • Elite CVO Member
    • PA

• CVO1: 2005 SEEG- light/dark Candy Cherry-sold
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2021, 09:01:30 AM »

Damn, that sucks! He was a great guy and loved what he did. I never missed any of his shows when he was on. RIP
2014 Ultra Limited*Daytona Blue Pearl
MODS
V&H 2-1 Pro Pipe
V&H FP3 Fuelpak

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 23 queries.