Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Finding previous owners/ license plates  (Read 1237 times)

OddN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
Finding previous owners/ license plates
« on: February 04, 2021, 12:52:12 PM »

I have been digging into my bikes early history from back when it was in the US.

But so far all I have is the name of the seller who owned it just before it was exported and his last license plate number (California plate: 20A4939). I also have an earlier picture of the bike from a facebook event showing another license plate that looks like a personal plate. Also California plate: ROSIS 1 (pic is a little blur so I could be slightly wrong here). According to the sellers ad on Chopper Exchange which is still visible some 10 years later, the bike was sold new at Orange County Harley in Irvine, Southern California and spent most of its life in and around San Diego. At the time of the ad, he lived in Weed, CA.

So... Is there a way to get any historical info on the bike like previous owners, license plates and so on? I have tried some online vin checker sites but they all require a subscription of some sort and money up front and I don't know if they actually have the info I want.

Here in Norway all such info is public, so anyone can log on to the norwegian equivalent to DMV and get all historical data on a vehicle. Maybe it isn't like that over there?

Glenncarp

Re: Finding previous owners/ license plates
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »

I have been digging into my bikes early history from back when it was in the US.

But so far all I have is the name of the seller who owned it just before it was exported and his last license plate number (California plate: 20A4939). I also have an earlier picture of the bike from a facebook event showing another license plate that looks like a personal plate. Also California plate: ROSIS 1 (pic is a little blur so I could be slightly wrong here). According to the sellers ad on Chopper Exchange which is still visible some 10 years later, the bike was sold new at Orange County Harley in Irvine, Southern California and spent most of its life in and around San Diego. At the time of the ad, he lived in Weed, CA.

So... Is there a way to get any historical info on the bike like previous owners, license plates and so on? I have tried some online vin checker sites but they all require a subscription of some sort and money up front and I don't know if they actually have the info I want.

Here in Norway all such info is public, so anyone can log on to the norwegian equivalent to DMV and get all historical data on a vehicle. Maybe it isn't like that over there?

Good luck, I work in the property insurance field and I have experienced that in the US, municipalities do not share information freely. Property tax info, yes, license plates, licenses....No.

I am really good friends with a police office, like brothers almost and I asked him to run a license plate of a guy my daughter just started dating and he told me he would not and could not under any circumstances. 

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2021, 06:16:24 PM »

Good luck, I work in the property insurance field and I have experienced that in the US, municipalities do not share information freely. Property tax info, yes, license plates, licenses....No.

I am really good friends with a police office, like brothers almost and I asked him to run a license plate of a guy my daughter just started dating and he told me he would not and could not under any circumstances.
X2 of above. Due to identity theft issues information such as that are no longer publicly available.

LEO used to be able to run license plates at will (IE: single LEO sees hot chick and wants to find out who she is ;)) but no longer. Each license plate run by LEO now days is logged and has to be for an official reason or there are repercussions up to dismissal of that officer.

As a Fire Marshal I had access/certification to VCIN/NCIC (Virginia Criminal Information Network/National Crime Information Network) because of my LEO powers... we had to log any and every time we accessed these networks, access to these networks had to be on a stand alone computer for that use (and no other) only, and we had annual audit by State Police of it's usage.

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

OddN

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2002 FLHRSEI
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2021, 12:36:48 PM »

Thanks for your replies.

I guess that is not an option then. Only reason for getting the info is my own curiousity, and that probably won't be a valid reason ;-)

After I wrote this post I actually found the facebook profile of the previous (in the USA) owners wife, and I sent her a pm. Fingers crossed I will get a reply.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 23 queries.