Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Author Topic: 2004 SEEG CAM TENSIONERS  (Read 4129 times)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: 2004 SEEG CAM TENSIONERS
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2021, 07:04:39 PM »

Rocker box gaskets are always worth a second or a third look to make sure of orientation.  The bike runs great and you're pleased with it.  Those are the important bits.  Going back in to it one more times is simply an exercise in the gaining of greater familiarity with the machine.

We won't even begin to list the many things I've done wrong (or close to it) over the years.  If all you did was practice a little external lubrication you be in fine shape :2vrolijk_21: .

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

• CVO1: 2004 SEEG
« Reply #46 on: June 25, 2021, 06:20:01 PM »

So I got the rocker cover gasket fixed riding the bike home decided to run it up I won’t say how fast I was going very fast I slow down I go to hit my back brakes no brakes I’ll look down and see fluid I assume a blown a rear caliper or a brake line. What actually happened is the oil cover blew out don’t know where not sure why any suggestions?

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #47 on: June 25, 2021, 08:23:28 PM »

I’m thinking I put too much oil in it, I ran it pretty hard earlier today with no problem, added oil before I left for home and it blew oil cap, gotta be overfilled. Or I should say was overfilled, I just washed all the oil from the rocker cover mistake off, now I gotta do it again, probably gonna change the rear brake pads too since they were soaked with oil to the point that the brakes wouldn’t work even at walking speed

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2021, 12:45:47 AM »

Possibly.  Blowing the dipstick is caused by too much crankcase pressure somewhere.  Don't know that I've ever caused it by overfilling the crankcase though. 

Your best best when filling after a change is to leave the dipstick showing a half quart low with the new oil cold.  These bikes are notorious for quickly losing that first half quart anyway.  So just fill it to that point and accept that's probably where it's going to be anyway.

If the problem continues pay close attention to the cylinder head breathers.  Assuming nothing really wonky like an o-ring plugging a breather bolt or some other weirdness the cylinder head breathers are the only other thing you worked on that could suddenly start causing the dipstick tube to blow out.  That's assuming the bike wasn't doing the same thing before you bought it and you'd just not got on it hard enough to find the problem before opening the cam chest.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2021, 02:04:20 AM »

Just thought of something worth mentioning.  You can check the cylinder head breathers' function without tearing it all back open.  If you have or can make a hollow bolt to screw in to the breather hole in each cylinder you're good to test.

Use something to make a good connection in to a breather hole.  Then suck on it and blow in to it.  If you can suck through it you should not be able to blow through it and vice versa.  Check that at each head.

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2021, 07:42:27 AM »

I have had the bike since 2008, in 50k miles this is the first time it’s done it. I have thought over what happened and barring an anomaly like a breather valve failure, it has to be too much oil.
I run up to the rev limiter most times I go through the gears.
I didn’t do anything different except add oil, I think I just put to much in.
We shall see!

TonyO77

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #51 on: June 26, 2021, 09:53:22 PM »

Put a new oil cap on it, got the rear brakes changed (they were soaked with oil, everything was soaked in oil).
Oil at half way on the dipstick, ran it like I did yesterday, no problems.
I rode about 150 miles or so , bike running great!
So I think I just goofed and put too much oil in it.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
    • MO

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2021, 03:09:12 AM »

That's good news Tony.  Good to read that's all it was.  Now you can get back to riding it like you stole it and just have some fun. :2vrolijk_21:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All

Page created in 0.13 seconds with 23 queries.