Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Interesting Lifter Comparison  (Read 1302 times)

acengeist

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CT

Interesting Lifter Comparison
« on: February 26, 2021, 07:52:18 PM »

I thought this would be interesting.  I hope my picture posts.  For those of you that have either used Chevrolet Lifters or have researched whether you "should."  As most know, about 9 years ago or so S&S bought Crane.......and it looks now that Crane is out of business.  Couldnt find a whole lot about what S&S did with Crane....Anyway, I have always used Crane Chevrolet lifters with no issues.  I am doing 2 builds right now and my buddy bought the S&S lifters, I bought a set of Crane 10530 lifters...I started looking at them and they really looked similar, so I took them apart.  Can you tell which is which?

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
Re: Interesting Lifter Comparison
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »

crane is the dry one on the bottom   :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Tail Rider

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2021, 11:58:46 AM »

Difference in Orifice diameter over the plunger?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2021, 05:01:20 PM »

Not safe to rely on only the visual analysis.  Materials properties, spring rates, heat treatments, and a host of other factors that can be different in otherwise visually similar parts.  Not saying either actually is a cheap knockoff of anything but counterfeiters and knockoff artists have made profit since the cavemen started copying cave art off one another copying something with cheaper something else.

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 11:26:01 AM »

Interesting.
S & S used to have 2 different part numbers for Harley lifters. A normal set and the precision set with leak down measured. Now they only have one part number, and it's different than either of the old numbers.
I wonder if the new number is actually the same as one of the old numbers or different and came from the Crane lifter with maybe a mod to the top orifice plate.

johnsachs

• Vendor
  • Elite CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 04:41:12 PM »

Interesting.
S & S used to have 2 different part numbers for Harley lifters. A normal set and the precision set with leak down measured. Now they only have one part number, and it's different than either of the old numbers.
I wonder if the new number is actually the same as one of the old numbers or different and came from the Crane lifter with maybe a mod to the top orifice plate.
S&S is using Johnson Hi-Lift, which they bought a ton of them before the lifter business dried up due to Covid. The lifter business has dried up, and hopefully will get back to a decent production amount soon. FWIW, beware of look- A- likes/name brands from the Orient.
John

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 09:53:44 AM »

S&S has their precision tappets which i sell and use plus Morels which cost less but still are slow bleed US lifters. Nothing against the hylift Johnsons with edge oiling to the axle but will have to wait to get those back, they were a good product too.

Page created in 0.295 seconds with 21 queries.