Author Topic: 52 mpg  (Read 3180 times)

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

Re: 52 mpg
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2021, 11:19:28 PM »

Agreed, but.....

I could care less what the mpg is.  I do pay some general attention to it though.  Not because I care what the fuel economy might (or might) be but because it's an indicator or potential service issues should there be some significant change from whatever is the norm.

My sentiments, exactly!  Later--HUBBARD

2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2021, 11:47:49 PM »

It’s all about range.  Out west it can be a loooong way between stations.

I get that.  Not as much as I used to but have ridden out west a lot.  Long enough ago when it was far less developed than now.  And even now you can find long stretches of nowhere.  Even with the old five gallon tanks and even 40 mpg, and filling up at even early opportunities to make sure you did not (and not have) later ones, it was always manageable. 

There are places you definitely want to think/plan ahead.  GPS units with pre-mapped fuel locations certainly make that less worrying than it was a billion years ago as well.  All told, however, I ride for the zen, for the feeling, for being there.  Fuel use is monitored, sparingly, for completely other reason than dollars per ride or actual miles per gallon.

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2021, 09:59:44 AM »

Wandering around Washington a couple years ago we relied on the GPS for gas stations while riding along the Columbia River.......pulled in and there were ancient pumps....in-operable. A guy and his wife still lived in the adjacent house and had gas in jugs for sale at a premium price .

Asked when the gas station closed.....he said about 20 years ago.

I did notify Garmin to update their map.....might have ruined his side business!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 10:01:33 AM by dayne66 »
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Indenial

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009 SE Road Glide
    • States Riden on 2009 CVO
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2021, 10:52:17 AM »

Range in important. Got caught in Alaska--range said 130 miles and GPS said town was 75 miles, so I pumped it up to 90 mph. Pretty soon range was 60 and town was 40. So I slowed way down. Barely made it and learned my lesson when gas is sparse.  But now my bladder is much smaller than my six gallon tank and I have to stop and pee long before I need gas, and that's when I fill up.
I just finished the pile of junk I needed to work on before I get to the stuff I should be doing----

dayne66

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • BC

• CVO1: '12 Ruby/Typhoon SG
    • CVO2: '15 Superior Blue FLD Switchback
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2021, 11:25:57 AM »

But now my bladder is much smaller than my six gallon tank and I have to stop and pee long before I need gas, and that's when I fill up.
I can pee at any roadside bush......and only once have I found gas behind a bush.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." Socrates

Warhawk

• Full CVO Member
    • AR
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2021, 01:38:05 PM »

Range in important. Got caught in Alaska--range said 130 miles and GPS said town was 75 miles, so I pumped it up to 90 mph. Pretty soon range was 60 and town was 40. So I slowed way down. Barely made it and learned my lesson when gas is sparse.  But now my bladder is much smaller than my six gallon tank and I have to stop and pee long before I need gas, and that's when I fill up.

Wyoming and Nevada are the states I’ve been in with the longest stretches between gas stations, one that are still in business anyway.  Even on I-80 across Wyoming, the only stations you can count on being open are the truck stops.  Cheyenne to Laramie is 50 miles but gas up anyway, then Rawlins, Rock Springs, and Evanston ... all about 100 miles apart.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2021, 07:01:12 PM »

best mpg on my 16 TC has been 43, average most of the time is 40/41.... thats IF im riding at posted speed limits   :nixweiss:
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

HUBBARD

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • FLHTCUSE7
    • WV

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2021, 09:57:56 PM »

Hehehe.  I can relate to that!!!!  Later--HUBBARD
2012 FLHTCUSE7  (Electric Orange/Black)  Built Motor (124), D&D "Borzilla" Exhaust, Tilley/K&N Air Induction,
"National President"-"Hillbilly Rocket Riders", MC, Mother Chapter, WV
"National President"-"W.H.O.R.E", TPT, WV Chapter

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2021, 12:03:08 AM »

But now my bladder is much smaller than my six gallon tank and I have to stop and pee long before I need gas, and that's when I fill up.

Amen to that.  I can almost never outride my bladder anymore.  Stupid bladder/prostate/whatever.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.