Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: 2021 Road Glide engine upgrade  (Read 3725 times)

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

2021 Road Glide engine upgrade
« on: March 14, 2021, 11:54:35 AM »

Ok I’ve searched and read for over an hour, was not successful. I’m new on this forum but not new to riding or owning a Harley or CVO. I’m getting the Black Hole Road Glide and I’m thinking about doing a Stage 2 at Harley by Harley, with Rinehart 4.5 DBX Mufflers. Has anyone done this set up on the 117? I know I will be happy with the HP and Torgue, it’s the sound of the bike thst has me concerned. I don’t want my bike to sound stock or just a little louder than stock. I have never kept the warranty on any past bikes and just did what upgrades I wanted. This bike I would like to keep the warranty if I can find away to also be happy with the sound of it. It doesn’t have to be the loudest bike, but I’d like some rumble.
Also does anybody no if the cat is located in the muffler area instead of head pipe? I’ve heard this from a few but not sure if that is correct. TIA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
Re: 2021 Road Glide engine upgrade
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 02:04:16 PM »

Congrats on your new family member. First off the cat is in the head pipe. A riding buddy of mine went with those exact same Rinehart's and with the cat in complains that they are just too mellow. I would recommend Harley's Stage III and TAB mufflers. They have a few different interchangeable baffles to choose from and you can use your factory exhaust tips. The Zombie baffles sound and perform great if you're leaving the cat in.

Let us know what you decide

BTW.... where in Washington are you located?
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:11:15 PM »

Thank you for the reply. I am trying to get good sound and be in warranty. Removing cat will void warranty. I’m really curious where the cat is located I just thought it was weird that a few people said on this bike they were in muffler. So I’m not familiar with using heat shields as I always have just put new head and mufflers on thst were complete new system.
So you think going to stage 3? I’ll have to look that up, with a different muffler will get me a better sound? You don’t think I’d get it on the set up I choose? Lol neither did I really! You know anybody thst has done this on the 2021?

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 03:07:51 PM »

I tried the 4.5 DBX on my 2019 CVO Limited, it was plenty loud four me, but I know that's just my opinion, I also have the stock head pipe, I ended up going with the 4.0 DBX so I could retain the stock shields on the muffles, the sound was the same on both.

When my warranty is up, I will do a Fullsac head pipe, cam, newer oil pump and tune.

Good looking bike! good luck with your choices!
2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 03:11:16 PM »

Thank you for that information. Interesting that they are the same. I kinda like the idea of keeping stock muffler shield on there. Appreciate that info.
Also very nice bike!

KGB

• 1K CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2016 FLHXSE Carbon Crystal with Phantom Flames
    • CVO2: 2019 FLHTKSE Magnetic Grey/Wineberry w Red Pepper
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:26:55 PM »

Thank you for that information. Interesting that they are the same. I kinda like the idea of keeping stock muffler shield on there. Appreciate that info.
Also very nice bike!
You could actually get these;
https://rinehartracing.com/product/4-5-black-chrome-slip-on-exhaust-for-harley-cvo/

I have the bronze shields, so if I got them I would have have to change out the front shields to match

2018 MITM Eureka Springs
2018 WV GTG
2018 Maggie Valley GTG
2019 MITM Eureka Springs
2019 Maggie Valley GTG
2020 Maggie Valley GTG
2021 WV GTG
2021 Maggie Valley GTG
2022 Ohio GTG
2023 1/2 Maggie Valley GTG

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2021, 04:46:04 PM »

Those are the ones I was referring to. They are the only black chrome that matches the bike.

Turk_97

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2021, 05:18:52 PM »

Ok I’ve searched and read for over an hour, was not successful. I’m new on this forum but not new to riding or owning a Harley or CVO. I’m getting the Black Hole Road Glide and I’m thinking about doing a Stage 2 at Harley by Harley, with Rinehart 4.5 DBX Mufflers. Has anyone done this set up on the 117? I know I will be happy with the HP and Torgue, it’s the sound of the bike thst has me concerned. I don’t want my bike to sound stock or just a little louder than stock. I have never kept the warranty on any past bikes and just did what upgrades I wanted. This bike I would like to keep the warranty if I can find away to also be happy with the sound of it. It doesn’t have to be the loudest bike, but I’d like some rumble.
Also does anybody no if the cat is located in the muffler area instead of head pipe? I’ve heard this from a few but not sure if that is correct. TIA

Hey good day and welcome.   Congrats on your new baby.    I have a 2020 street glide cvo.   Went with the stage 3 from Harley all Harley.   Also decided to go fullsac so I could keep my original gear shields.   I went with the fullsac header and 2.5” pipes.   I just got it back Friday afternoon and wow.   I can’t believe how amazing it sounds.    I first went with just the exhaust and wasn’t that happy.    Hope this helps and enjoy your new ride 

-= Whew That Was Close =-

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2021, 05:23:17 PM »

It helps a lot! Thank you, however my dealership is saying I can not use aftermarket headers as it will void warranty. The cat is in the header so removing that voids.
How much was the stage 3 if you don’t mind the question  :-\!

Turk_97

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

I live in Canada and it was 4,700 before taxes which is around $3,400 American.   I also went with a 55mm throttle body to help it breathe better

-= Whew That Was Close =-

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2021, 10:54:02 PM »

Congrats on your new bike, just helped a friend negotiate a purchase of a 2021 CVO RoadGlide in Bronze this weekend.  Use the FullSac baffle kit in the mufflers / slip on's only and leave the head pipe alone.  Also you retain stock heat shields and tips. FullSac should give you the tone your looking for and is definitely gonna be the lowest priced option but you have to install yourself.  FYI there are systems (HD 131 kit) with exhaust that moves the cat to the  mufflers, probably because they need more cat area due to the increased exhaust flow. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 10:56:32 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2021, 10:58:32 PM »

Thank you! I’m definitely going to look at fulsac. Will Harley not install them? They will install Rinehart slip ons.
I appreciate the message.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2021, 11:02:23 PM »

Installing Fullsac is gonna require grinding the welds on the inside of the muffler so not sure if dealsr is going to tackle that. They would probably just rather  sell you slip-on's for $600 plus, then FullSacs for $80ish!
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 11:04:46 PM »

I don’t think I would be able to do that grinding. I’ll have to look it up.
Thanks

1roadking

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NH

• CVO1: 2016 SE Streetglide
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 11:18:08 PM »

Fullsac 2.25 inch baffles sound great are inexpensive and retain stock mufflers and heat shields. I don’t think you will like the sound with the cat in the header though. I’m running a 128 kit with a Fuelmoto head pipe and Fullsac 2.25 baffles and it’s pretty tame my friend has a stock CVO 117 with 2.25 baffles and stock head pipe and it is almost stock sounding. Another guy I know is running a stock 117 with Fuelmotto head pipe and 2.25 baffles and that is very tame as well. You really need a cam and no cat header at minimum but even better big bore kit to get any real sound out of the M8. Bigger baffles 2.5 and up and your power will be affected in a bad way LOL.

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2021, 11:23:01 PM »

Yeah it’s like you just can’t win with keeping the warranty! They have you tied to a tree.
I just looked at these. I’m definitely considering them. But the way your bike is my old CVO I traded in. I’m already missing it! I removed cat, put headers and CFR pipes and tune and dyno and loved the performance and sound. If I kept I would have did more engine work.
Thank you so much!

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2021, 07:03:33 AM »

Fullsac 2.25 or 2.0 baffles in stock mufflers are best bang for the buck.  Keeps the great stock look too.

Great looking new bike. 
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2021, 09:36:35 AM »

Thank you

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2021, 10:33:06 AM »

I have a 117 with the Rinehart 4.5 DBX's and even with the Cat still in place they are PLENTY loud.    I originally tried the Fullsac baffles but did not like the sound and did not like the "Pipe-within-the-pipe" look of them.    Ask your dealer if you can hear a bike with the Rineharts on it.   I am sure they have a 114 or 117 bike around with the Cat in place that you can listen to.

scotman623

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2021, 12:04:49 PM »

I agree with the Fullsac  baffles... I used the 2.25 on my 117 before I had the motor built and they Sounded awesome and looked completely stock!!! It’s not a hard job installing them yourself if you have the correct tools... I used a dremel, old axe handle and a rubber mallet..

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2021, 03:57:16 PM »

Hey good day and welcome.   Congrats on your new baby.    I have a 2020 street glide cvo.   Went with the stage 3 from Harley all Harley.   Also decided to go fullsac so I could keep my original gear shields.   I went with the fullsac header and 2.5” pipes.   I just got it back Friday afternoon and wow.   I can’t believe how amazing it sounds.    I first went with just the exhaust and wasn’t that happy.    Hope this helps and enjoy your new ride 
 (
whats original gear shields??)

laylonlor

• 1K CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2021, 04:01:19 PM »

what about hi output V/H  slip-ons are they a tquork. killer too?

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2021, 04:22:16 PM »

Thank you so much. I believe that would void the warranty if I remove the cat. Trying to get the sound and performance of my d bike and still be within warranty.

Anybody here if the company
BIG CITY THUNDER
The product I watched a video I talk on is called M8 THUNDER MONSTER BAFFLE
It gets installed at the muffle r end of the head pipe and blocks the crossover pipe.
Looks interesting.

I really appreciate everyone’s suggestions and experience. Again thank you!

Kellyk

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WA

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2021, 04:24:03 PM »

I’m new on this forum and still figuring out how to reply to specific comments! Lol
Be patient with me! I’ll get this down hahaha

Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 0.245 seconds with 21 queries.