Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: On going issue with bike shutting down while riding  (Read 2009 times)

JerryS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

On going issue with bike shutting down while riding
« on: March 16, 2021, 12:19:04 PM »

Hi, Jerry here from GA. Never been on a blog like this but I'm hoping to find a community that is worth being a part of. I've been riding motorcycles since I was about 12, now I'm semi retired and still riding.
For the past year or so every once in awhile while riding the bike just shuts down, still have power all idiot lights on. It always starts after cycling the key on switch and make it home. We just did bike week and had no issues at all, over a 1000 miles. This weekend we were going to an event and the bike did its dirty deed to me. Shut down twice in a matter of a few minutes. Got back to the house and checked for codes. ECM P0131 & P0151. BCM B2119 & B1306. I know what the codes represent but not sure if they have anything to do with my issue. Would like to know if anyone else has had this problem and what it took to fix it.

Hope to hear from y'all soon.

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
Re: On going issue with bike shutting down while riding
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2021, 04:58:58 PM »

Well I recon you'd have a better chance of getting a response if we knew what you bike actually is???  Year & Model at least...

JerryS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »

Good point... That would help. I have a 2015 stock streetglide other than a thunder header new air intake and a dyno tune. Has about 21,000 miles. Thanks for the reminder.

JS

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2021, 12:01:29 AM »

Don't expect it to be this easy but, just in case, try out this easy option.  I've ran in to close variants of it with two different bikes and your B2119 code.  It also could/would/might align with the other two o2 sensor codes.

B2119 suggests there's a heavier than normal load on the fuel pump circuit.  If there's something causing the fuel pump to cycle out it could at least conceivably lead to a lean condition at the o2 sensors.  One bike I looked at throwing B2119 had a problem as simple as a loose and slightly cruddy connection at the harness connector to the fuel pump.  Another had a fuse for the fuel pump that wasn't plugged in all the way.  The fuse spades were arcing every so slightly and it eventually caused a B2119 problem.  That one took longer to track down as just eyeballing it didn't really see the difference.

If you're lucky you'll be that lucky.  Something as simple as bad or dirty connections.  Even if that's not it it's too cheap/easy not to check and eliminate.  The other code has something to do with handlebar controls. One would assume unrelated to your shut-off problem.

Have you cleared the codes to see whether they're historical or recurring?  Was there any work done to the bike closely prior to this problem beginning?

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2021, 08:51:12 AM »

Don't expect it to be this easy but, just in case, try out this easy option.  I've ran in to close variants of it with two different bikes and your B2119 code.  It also could/would/might align with the other two o2 sensor codes.

B2119 suggests there's a heavier than normal load on the fuel pump circuit.  If there's something causing the fuel pump to cycle out it could at least conceivably lead to a lean condition at the o2 sensors.  One bike I looked at throwing B2119 had a problem as simple as a loose and slightly cruddy connection at the harness connector to the fuel pump.  Another had a fuse for the fuel pump that wasn't plugged in all the way.  The fuse spades were arcing every so slightly and it eventually caused a B2119 problem.  That one took longer to track down as just eyeballing it didn't really see the difference.

If you're lucky you'll be that lucky.  Something as simple as bad or dirty connections.  Even if that's not it it's too cheap/easy not to check and eliminate.  The other code has something to do with handlebar controls. One would assume unrelated to your shut-off problem.

Have you cleared the codes to see whether they're historical or recurring?  Was there any work done to the bike closely prior to this problem beginning?

Also look for wires that might be stressed from the back and forth motion of the forks when steering.  Over time these wires can break inside the insulation.   Pinch, squeeze and pull in the area of any sharp bends to see if it affects anything.   Particularly on the Left side of the bike since the wheel cocks left when on the Jiffy stand.

Good Luck!

robertg

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2021, 10:18:48 PM »

Check for loose battery cables.

JerryS

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • GA

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2021, 01:17:41 PM »

Thanks for the ideas to check and yes I hope I can be lucky with your suggestions otherwise I'm going top be breaking into my kids piggy bank no drought. I'll be checking all these things and let y'all know.

2smoke

• Full CVO Member

• CVO1: 2010 Softail Convertible
    • CVO2: 2012 Softail Convertible
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2021, 10:33:46 AM »

Did you ever figure this out? Please give us an update if you did or if the gremlins are still loose.

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 21 queries.