Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to me toyhauler/how to install chock  (Read 2171 times)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
New to me toyhauler/how to install chock
« on: March 22, 2021, 07:59:39 PM »

I just purchased a used toyhauler and need some thoughts on installing a wheel chock of some kind. We found this one at a price cheap enough we thought we would give it a try and it was small enough for us to get into the places we want to get with little effort. Not real fancy but it has heat and air, and is a step above the tent camping we have been doing.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

Re: New to me toyhauler/how to install chock
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2021, 08:02:13 PM »

We still plan on tent camping when somewhat local but we have had to cut our trips to Colorado short the last 2 years to try and beat weather home on the bike.

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2021, 08:12:47 PM »

The problem I have having working through is installing a chock of some kind. The floor is 3/4 thick but there is a fabric that covers the entire underside of the trailer that is stretched pretty tight and without cutting into it I have no access to the floor. If I cut it how do your repair? My thought process right now is to deck over the top of the existing decking with 1 1/8 subflooring and mount my underside hardware to the subfloor before mounting in the trailer. I might have to route out where the hardware goes on the underside. Guess the hardware might be 1/8, so that would still leave me a full 1" of decking supporting the chock or biker bar depending on how I go. It would also allow me to put flushmount D rings where I needed them. Finished would still have a flat floor. Thoughts or suggestions greatly appreciated.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2021, 08:40:26 PM »

I would suggest using the B&W Bike Bar instead of a wheel chock.  No straps needed and no wheel chock needed.  I've been all over the nation using the Bike Bar and never an issue.

The underlayment under your frame is likely coroplast.  It's a product that the RV industry uses to insulate under the frame to minimize the risk of your plumbing freezing when you're in cold weather.   Without knowing the make or model, it's likely a nice toyhauler.

You can drop the coroplast but it is a time consuming job and easier done with some helping hands when it comes time to put it back up.  It would also allow you to get a visual of how all your plumbing and electricl runs and where your holding tanks are located (usually over the axles), etc.

Here's a link to my bike loaded with the Biker Bar......  https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=111630.msg1425466#msg1425466

Also several threads on the B&W Biker Bar on this forum if you use the search feature.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2021, 09:05:09 PM »

Thanks JC,
The manufacturer is a company called Playmor and the model is like a 8181. 8.5x18 box. When I was under the trailer looking at it I didn't see a good way to pull the fabric back. It appears that the fabric was laid on the frame, then the floor was framed on top of that, then the decking. There is a airspace between the fabric and the decking, but the fabric is pinned down between solid the entire perimeter of the trailer.

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2021, 07:32:52 AM »

I am not familiar with that product.

When coroplast is cut at an RV dealership to make plumbg repairs they often just tape it back up.  Maybe use Eternabond tape or Gorilla Patch & Seal Tape or Flex Tape Rubberized......they're all water proof.  Get the wide tape and be generous with it.

I've heard of Playmor but I've never saw one first hand.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 22 queries.