Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: OEM Rotors OR???  (Read 1896 times)

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO SG (Hard Candy Mercury)
    • CVO2: 2002 Road Glide (Silver)
    • CVO3: 2005 Chrysler 300C (Custom)
OEM Rotors OR???
« on: April 11, 2021, 04:35:56 PM »

Hi Guys,

Almost hate to post this as there are many threads on Rotors & Brake Pads.  Problem is after reading and reading I'm not really getting any direction. My front brakes shudder when braking after the rotors get warm.  2015 CVO street glide with 69K miles.  I suspect the OEM rotors are warped and the problem gets worse as they heat up... They look pretty worn too so I figure I'll just replace them.

So...  The question is do I just replace with OEM or should I be looking at something else?  If OEM lasted this many miles I figure maybe just go with HD parts but I hear folks saying that the quality might not be so good now as it was when the bike was built in 2015.

Thanks in advance,  Tim

Major Tom

• Senior CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: Blue n Blue 2015 FLTRUSE - Lucille
    • CVO2: Grey n' Black 2011 FLTRUSE - Bertha (Sold)
Re: OEM Rotors OR???
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 09:18:55 PM »

G’day Tim,

My 2015 FLTRUSE “Lucille” developed warped front rotors after 9 or 10k miles. I replaced them with H-D rotors under warranty & have had no further issues for a further 30k miles.

I know it’s less miles than your case but I would replace with the same again if it happened a second time.

Cheers Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Mako Shark Roadglide
    • CVO2: 2012 Maple Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2019 BMW K1600 Grand America
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 11:32:13 PM »

I brake hard with my fronts and unfortunately go through rotors about every 10000 miles. My 2012 just went out of extended warranty so its on me next time. I am also curious as to whether go with OEM or is there a AM product that maybe won't warp?
Alan

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:41:01 PM »

My 2015 FLTRUSE “Lucille” developed warped front rotors after 9 or 10k miles. I replaced them with H-D rotors under warranty & have had no further issues for a further 30k miles....

Cheers Tom

Thanks for your input Tom... I think I'm going to replace the Rotors with OEM and probably get some Lyndall Gold pads. And what I'll do is the hard braking bake-in of the new pads on my old Rotors, then put the new rotors on.  No need to heat stress the new rotors right out of the gate...  Thanks again.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 11:46:08 PM »

I brake hard with my fronts and unfortunately go through rotors about every 10000 miles. My 2012 just went out of extended warranty so its on me next time. I am also curious as to whether go with OEM or is there a AM product that maybe won't warp?

I've heard the worst thing to do after a hard brake stop is to sit still with the brake still on because the generated heat soaks in that part of the rotor. I try to roll the bike a bit again and again if I do a hard stop. Not sure if it actually helps but I got a pretty good distance from these Rotors...

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2021, 01:04:53 AM »

I've heard the worst thing to do after a hard brake stop is to sit still with the brake still on because the generated heat soaks in that part of the rotor. I try to roll the bike a bit again and again if I do a hard stop. Not sure if it actually helps but I got a pretty good distance from these Rotors...
makes sense, I will start trying that. Thanks!
Alan

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2021, 03:02:04 PM »

Rotors should last 100k miles. I have 96k on my original FXR4 floating rotors on the front, both still in near perfect condition.  I only changed brake pads once so far. Changed rear pads twice, rear original rotor still good. I have 0ver 70k miles on my 98 King and both front rotors are fine.
  Maybe your too hard on them making too many panic stops? I haven't ever had a OEM Harley Rotor front or rear break or warp on me for over 40 years.

SDCVO

• 2.5K CVO Member
  • 19 CVO RG-12 CVO RG
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2021, 11:01:23 PM »

Rotors should last 100k miles. I have 96k on my original FXR4 floating rotors on the front, both still in near perfect condition.  I only changed brake pads once so far. Changed rear pads twice, rear original rotor still good. I have 0ver 70k miles on my 98 King and both front rotors are fine.
  Maybe your too hard on them making too many panic stops? I haven't ever had a OEM Harley Rotor front or rear break or warp on me for over 40 years.
Just my life one riding stye. Also cant get 5000 miles out of a rear tire so I take some blame for the rotors. On the other hand I have a BMW bagger that I ride every bit as hard (can't get 4000 miles out of a rear tire on that bike..) and have never had a rotor issue so I won't take all the blame
Alan

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2021, 06:58:03 AM »

I am on my 7th CVO.  I have never had rotors replaced on any of them until this 2019.  I have 45,600 miles on the bike, and am on the 5th set of rotors replaced under warranty.  Front rim was replace once to see if that is why they are warping.  Many people I know with 2019 CVO Road glides are having same issue.

My wife's Heritage has 103,300 miles on it, factory rotors.  Most all my CVO's went over 45K on stock rotors, but not my 2019
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 05:40:31 PM »

on my 16 RGU i installed some GAFLER wave rotors on the front ... they warped, but they looked great. got my money back and now have the stock rotors reinstalled. 52k on them and all is good... again     FYI i will say bike was loaded down and riding two up on US 14A (faster than should be) and had slow down fast!! when they warped,
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Wrenchspinner3

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • ON

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2021, 10:17:35 AM »

I am on my 7th CVO.  I have never had rotors replaced on any of them until this 2019.  I have 45,600 miles on the bike, and am on the 5th set of rotors replaced under warranty.  Front rim was replace once to see if that is why they are warping.  Many people I know with 2019 CVO Road glides are having same issue.

My wife's Heritage has 103,300 miles on it, factory rotors.  Most all my CVO's went over 45K on stock rotors, but not my 2019
I've been working on a 2019 Road Glide Special front brake issue where the rider feels 'pulsations' in the brake lever:
- I measured the run-out at the right rotor at over .014" and the left at .003" so recommended replacement of the right rotor
- the new rotor was installed and guess what....I still measured over .009" on the right, maybe even more!
- just to test, I swapped the left hand rotor to the right side, and still found over .009"
- it's possible the hub surface is out on the right side, but the owner did not want to go with a new wheel, and instead wanted me to install new wheel bearings in the front to try that.
- installed the new wheel bearings, and the owner claims it is much better. I now measured a little less than .008" run-out on the right and the left side now measured a bit higher than it did with the original bearings, but within spec.
- I felt that I could still sense some pulsations at the lever when I tested the bike at low speed and lightly applying the front brake.
- Just out of interest, I removed the grease seal on the original right side bearing (regular bearing, not the ABS) I had removed, to see if I could observe anything. I found that while the bearings were all intact and didn't feel too bad, the bearing retainer cage was cracked in 2 spots. This may have happened during the extraction process, or when I was hammering on the metal grease seal to check out the bearing, not really sure. I think maybe I did feel a little 'clicking' when I checked the bearing before extraction from the hub.
- so other than the wheel being defective, I don't have any other ideas at this point. I'm not sure if the bike has always had this issue or if it developed later on.
The rotors are the stock Road Glide Special rotors.

TRS300

• Vendor
  • Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 04:39:10 PM »

Just wanted to follow up. Replaced rotors with OEM and installed Lyndel Z+ pads. Out for a ride today and all is well. No more brake shudder... I hope it lasts.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.167 seconds with 23 queries.