Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Ride planner and GTS  (Read 904 times)

Glenncarp

Ride planner and GTS
« on: May 03, 2021, 08:23:58 AM »

I have one wish on a Monday after a 225 mile ride: Can HD get their collective heads out of their asses and give us a navigation system that works? Soooo many wrong turns, side roads, incomplete routes, created route shows up as 3 rides, Etc., Etc., Etc. I mean really.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Oh, and to boot, the HD app fails to appear on the GTS unless you use a USB cable. We are going back in technology time here!!!!

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Ride planner and GTS
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 09:33:29 AM »

I have one wish on a Monday after a 225 mile ride: Can HD get their collective heads out of their asses and give us a navigation system that works? Soooo many wrong turns, side roads, incomplete routes, created route shows up as 3 rides, Etc., Etc., Etc. I mean really.  :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Oh, and to boot, the HD app fails to appear on the GTS unless you use a USB cable. We are going back in technology time here!!!!
I agree that the MoCo needs to fix different issues with the navigation, Ride Planner and interface with the HD app.

I lead 2 to 3 rides a week for our customers at our dealership (approximately 30k miles a year). The navigation and ride planner have a lot of quirks. For someone that doesn't use it a lot it can be frustrating.

I primarily use Basecamp as I have found it to be a stable/reliable mapping software. I have also used the ride planner and HD app primarily so I can give advice to customers and friends that want to use ride planner instead of Basecamp. Just for clarification, if you export the route as a gpx, when importing using a thumb drive, the Boom Audio Navigation will not use it properly. If it does, it's only because the settings on the bike match the route as laid out using the mapping software.

A quirk with the ride planner is if you add multiple locations for example start at A, lunch at B and end at C, when you try to use this route as per my example, your rides on the navigation will show 2 routes. This happens when importing as a gpx or using the HD app.

If you just use the start and end, and then use the routing drag feature of ride planner to shape the route, the route will typically follow what it shows you in ride planner. The reason I say typically, is because the actual roads it will follow are still effected by your navigation settings on the bike. The more shaping points you use will help keep the route working the way you want. This only works if you import directly using the HD app and not as an exported gpx.

I have found that the Boom Audio Navigation settings work best having Fastest checked and Highways unchecked. I just use the shaping points (ride planner) or waypoints (Basecamp) to make sure it doesn't take me on the interstate unless I choose to.

As far as the HD app goes, my phone is an android. I had an issue originally not being able to select the app on the bike. I just uninstalled the app on my phone and after the reinstall everything worked fine. Apparently there is an issue with iPhone connecting using Bluetooth. Do not use the Send to bike feature. Open the app on the bike and select the route from the list that is downloaded from the HD app on your phone.

These are my experiences using the Boom Audio navigation since it first came out in 2014. Hope some of what I said helps you.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

michaelokielee@yahoo.com

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE / Traded
    • CVO2: 2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2021, 01:41:51 PM »

I use it alot, I only plan on the computer so it is big enough I can see it clearly. Once you add a way point, you have to zoom all the way in and verify it is in the center of the orange line, usually it puts it on the side once you zoom in on the waypoint.  Then run the bar thru the entire trip to verify it works before downloading your ride. That's my $.02, but I have good luck with it.

FLSTFI Dave

• IBA 69147
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
    • CVO2: 2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
    • CVO3: 2003 Fatboy, 95"quot, S&ampS 570 gear drive cam
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 07:42:39 AM »

Joe is correct.  I use ride planner, and I use lots of shaping points.  I use just a start and finish.  Then drag route to the roads I want to take.  The more points the better.  Really long routes I sometimes break into two or three routes. 

I use an iPhone 11 pro max.  More than half the time if you try to send the route to the bike it fails ands you keep getting a message on the bike.  Only way to fix is uninstall ride planner app and reinstall.  When phone is physically connected works perfect everytime.  I am fine with that as I always ride with my phone plugged in to use CarPlay .
2023 FLTRXSE Whiskey Neat
2021 RA1250S Pan America Special
2019 FLTRXSE Red Pepper / Magnetic Gray Traded
2018 FLTRXSE Gunship Gray  Traded
2017 FLHXSE  Starfire Black / Atomic Red  Traded
2015 FLTRUSE Abyss Blue / Crushed Saphire Traded
2013 FLHRSE5 Diamond Dust 117  Traded
2012 FLTRXSE White Gold Pearl / Starfire Black  Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 Silver/Titanium  Traded
2003 Fatboy, real fire paint set,

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 10:45:01 AM »

Definitely going backwards.  I use ride planner a lot, and on trips I use a thumb drive to load the route on my GTS and the same to load on my buddies 2016 Harley GPS (cant remember which it is).  We have both confirmed we have the same settings and avoidances and the last trip we took we got to a red light and I had my left signal on, he gets on communication and asks where Im going because his says turn right.  Based on previous experience with the GTS I decided to turn right, the GTS kept trying to get me to turn around to reach my destination which happened to be 1/4 mile up the road from where we made the right.  His gps was accurate mine was not.  This happens all the time on the GTS compared to the older one.  Harley knows this because I have spoken with them numerous times about it, even sent them route and pictures/videos of it doing weird things and they give the standard bs answer that new updates are coming.

Glenncarp

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 11:15:06 AM »

Definitely going backwards.  I use ride planner a lot, and on trips I use a thumb drive to load the route on my GTS and the same to load on my buddies 2016 Harley GPS (cant remember which it is).  We have both confirmed we have the same settings and avoidances and the last trip we took we got to a red light and I had my left signal on, he gets on communication and asks where Im going because his says turn right.  Based on previous experience with the GTS I decided to turn right, the GTS kept trying to get me to turn around to reach my destination which happened to be 1/4 mile up the road from where we made the right.  His gps was accurate mine was not.  This happens all the time on the GTS compared to the older one.  Harley knows this because I have spoken with them numerous times about it, even sent them route and pictures/videos of it doing weird things and they give the standard bs answer that new updates are coming.

I did same thing this past Sunday, he is new to a bike with navigation, stereo, etc., he kept asking me if his GPS was screwed up as he saw my screen and mine said straight, his said go left. Told him it was just HD issue.

Thanks for the replies all to original post. I forgot to click on the stops after I created route and change them to a waypoint in Rode Planner. I have found that this keeps the route to just 1 and not 3 or 4. My mistake. I ALWAYS zoom in on waypoints so I am not spending the day making circles. Lol. But I can confirm I studied the route in case the GPS acted as usual and I then revieed the turn by turn on HD Ride planner and GTS still did its own thing.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 22 queries.