Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: After market speakers that work with stock head unit  (Read 2122 times)

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

After market speakers that work with stock head unit
« on: May 08, 2021, 04:33:22 PM »

Are there better sounding speakers you can replace that work with the HD radio & amp. Bike is a 2018 CVO Limited... If so what brands..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

kojak

• 1K CVO Member
Re: After market speakers that work with stock head unit
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 06:14:00 PM »

Try sinister sound.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Glenncarp

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2021, 11:53:29 AM »

Are there better sounding speakers you can replace that work with the HD radio & amp. Bike is a 2018 CVO Limited... If so what brands..

I upgraded to J&M. You really should use a 2 Ohm speaker since amp is 2 ohm, choices are limited for 2 ohm speakers. Are J&M high fidelity? No. Do they sound a LOT better than Boom! junk? Absolutely. Was I willing to spend $$$$ on a stereo system that sounds the same at 80 MPH than one that costs $$? Nope. I can hear mine crystal clear at 80 and phonics are out the window (figuratively) on  a bike and at speed. Just my 2 cents.

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »

I’m going with the Sinister sound system. Replacing amp and speakers.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2021, 12:34:36 PM »

I upgraded to J&M. You really should use a 2 Ohm speaker since amp is 2 ohm, choices are limited for 2 ohm speakers. Are J&M high fidelity? No. Do they sound a LOT better than Boom! junk? Absolutely. Was I willing to spend $$$$ on a stereo system that sounds the same at 80 MPH than one that costs $$? Nope. I can hear mine crystal clear at 80 and phonics are out the window (figuratively) on  a bike and at speed. Just my 2 cents.

Which JM speakers did u end up using.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2021, 06:19:30 PM »

I just picked up my bike tonight after having Sinister Sound fairing speakers installed. I kept the stock amp and did not have the bike flashed for an EQ update. It sounds absolutely fantastic. They are 2 ohms so other than a few modifications that aren't real difficult, they wire right to the stock system. That was a big draw for me. I had been asking about 2 ohm options for saddlebag speakers and now have no desire to upgrade those. These fairing speakers are now plenty for the higher speeds and windy days without the high end feeling like it's going to rip your face off. They have a fairing system that is meant to use with the BOOM systems.

Mine was for a 2020 Road Glide, but they make the same one for batwing fairings.

https://www.sinistersound.net/shop/SinisterSound-Product-Catalog/14UP-Street-GlideUltra-Products/p/14-up-2ohm-Sinister-Sound-Street-Glide-Fairing-speaker-system-for-use-with-a-BOOM-AUDIO-AMP-x49625917.htm

EDIT:
I’m going with the Sinister sound system. Replacing amp and speakers.

Didn't see you had posted this. I think you will be pleased!

« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 11:36:51 AM by Scott7d »
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2021, 10:03:34 PM »

I just picked up my bike tonight after having Sinister Sound fairing speakers installed. I kept the stock amp and did not have the bike flashed for an EQ update. It sounds absolutely fantastic. They are 2 ohms so other than a few modifications that aren't real difficult, they wire right to the stock system. That was a big draw for me. I had been asking about 2 ohm options for saddlebag speakers and now have no desire to upgrade those. These fairing speakers are now plenty for the higher speeds and windy days without the high end feeling like it's going to rip your face off. They have a fairing system that is meant to use with the BOOM systems.

Mine was for a 202 Road Glide, but they make the same one for batwing fairings.

https://www.sinistersound.net/shop/SinisterSound-Product-Catalog/14UP-Street-GlideUltra-Products/p/14-up-2ohm-Sinister-Sound-Street-Glide-Fairing-speaker-system-for-use-with-a-BOOM-AUDIO-AMP-x49625917.htm

Do they get loud & clear with volume up...?
Yes I ordered the full system from a dealer in Houston,Tx area and they were going to install also. But after thinking about it I decided against it for now so I'm canceling the order.. I may just do the speakers instead from Sinister...

EDIT:
Didn't see you had posted this. I think you will be pleased!
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

Glenncarp

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2021, 07:03:22 AM »

Which JM speakers did u end up using.

The Rokker 3  ways with tweeter pods in grill

YELLOWBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2009 CVO ROADGLIDE
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2021, 08:09:20 AM »

J&M is Junk! (JMHO, Sorry) If you want the newest "In Thing" speaker with the audio pros. I suggest the Ground
Zero "Yellow Basket" speakers.
Build your own as J&M and any other company speaker/amp kit pretty much suck.

Bonus: building your own, if done right will be less expensive and definitely sound much better!

MMats PA601 speakers and Hertz CX165 speaker along w/ a Stringer Amp is what I run. You can get the amp of choice but beware
some amps will cause some FM interference.

YB
2009 SCREAMIN' EAGLE CVO ROAD GLIDE FLTRSE3 117" PRO RACE
(1 OF ONLY 369 US) "LAST YEAR OF THE HAND BUILT"

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2021, 02:11:07 PM »

Newseultra07, The main things I noticed:

1. The kick drum actually sounds like a kick drum and not a fart anymore. At higher volumes the bass doesn't flub out.

2. Also at higher volumes the treble doesn't feel like it's going to melt your face off.

3. There is more separation in the instruments if that makes sense. At higher volumes it doesn't get muddy. During a busy drum riff for instance you can hear the separate drums and it doesn't drown out the guitar.

Overall, yet again at higher volumes, the front speakers now have no distortion and don't sound like they are struggling. Will you be like "OH MY GOD" the second you turn on your stereo? No. Will you be like "ah this is better" when you take off for the first time? Yep.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2021, 04:04:53 PM »

Newseultra07, The main things I noticed:

1. The kick drum actually sounds like a kick drum and not a fart anymore. At higher volumes the bass doesn't flub out.

2. Also at higher volumes the treble doesn't feel like it's going to melt your face off.

3. There is more separation in the instruments if that makes sense. At higher volumes it doesn't get muddy. During a busy drum riff for instance you can hear the separate drums and it doesn't drown out the guitar.

Overall, yet again at higher volumes, the front speakers now have no distortion and don't sound like they are struggling. Will you be like "OH MY GOD" the second you turn on your stereo? No. Will you be like "ah this is better" when you take off for the first time? Yep.

I'm going to just do the speaker upgrade for now & see how It is with the Boom amp, can always add amp later on if needed..Glad you like it..Wont be getting mine for couple weeks.
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

rayson56

• 1K CVO Member
  • Life's a journey not a destination.
    • WA

• CVO1: 2018 FLTRXSE Black Earth/Vivid Black (Sold)
    • CVO2: 2011 FLHXSE2 Black Diamond (Traded)
    • CVO3: 2007 FXDSE Red (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2021, 07:18:39 PM »

I'm also interested in upgraded speakers for my 18 CVO RG that has factory Boom II speakers and amps. The speakers are less than stellar by far and I'm sure one day they will need replacing but I'd like to keep all 3 of the amps. Yes I added speakers to the lowers I installed as well and upgraded to the GTS head unit last year so I now have a similar set up to the 2019 CVO SG. Best factory system Harley has ever come up with IMO.

So Scott7d, you have the 2 Boom II amps and 4 Boom II speakers on your 20 CVO RG and you replaced just the fairing speakers and you are happy with the upgrade to the sinister speakers correct? I couldn't find the RG setup on their website.

newseultra07 I believe you have an Ultra which does not come with Boom II but Boom I? So a totally different system other than the head unit I think? While not apples and apples I still understand where you're coming from.

So maybe some of the better informed folks out there could explain why we couldn't take both sets of speaker leads per speaker with the Boom II setup and splice together the pos. to pos. and the neg. to the neg. that go the bi-amped? factory system to get ALL the power from the Boom II amps into a really good quality replacement speaker?? Someone has to be able to figure out a way to build a better mouse trap.  :nixweiss:

And thanks Scott for getting the ball rolling on this and the thorough description of what you have accomplished.

Please don't laugh to hard at my ignorance on this subject but hopefully someone in the know can take a minute and shed some light for the rest of us.

TIA
2010 Dyna Wide Glide
2021 GW Bagger
2018 SERG (Sold)
2011 SESG (Traded)
2007 Dyna Wide Glide CVO (Sold)
2010 Night Rod Special
2007 full custom road king
2006 big dog mastiff
2000 big dog pro 18
1999 big dog pro sport
1991 fxrs full custom
1984 v65 magna

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2021, 08:16:28 PM »

I'm also interested in upgraded speakers for my 18 CVO RG that has factory Boom II speakers and amps. The speakers are less than stellar by far and I'm sure one day they will need replacing but I'd like to keep all 3 of the amps. Yes I added speakers to the lowers I installed as well and upgraded to the GTS head unit last year so I now have a similar set up to the 2019 CVO SG. Best factory system Harley has ever come up with IMO.

So Scott7d, you have the 2 Boom II amps and 4 Boom II speakers on your 20 CVO RG and you replaced just the fairing speakers and you are happy with the upgrade to the sinister speakers correct? I couldn't find the RG setup on their website.

newseultra07 I believe you have an Ultra which does not come with Boom II but Boom I? So a totally different system other than the head unit I think? While not apples and apples I still understand where you're coming from.

So maybe some of the better informed folks out there could explain why we couldn't take both sets of speaker leads per speaker with the Boom II setup and splice together the pos. to pos. and the neg. to the neg. that go the bi-amped? factory system to get ALL the power from the Boom II amps into a really good quality replacement speaker?? Someone has to be able to figure out a way to build a better mouse trap.
  :nixweiss:

And thanks Scott for getting the ball rolling on this and the thorough description of what you have accomplished.

Please don't laugh to hard at my ignorance on this subject but hopefully someone in the know can take a minute and shed some light for the rest of us.

TIA

Believe it or not, I emailed Sinister this exact question a few hours ago. I'll post up the reply once I get one back but I don't expect it over the weekend. I found the speaker kits on their site. It has a crossover built in. I asked them if we could bypass their crossover and use the leads from the HD amp as on the B2 system, it's my understanding that the amp is programmed as a crossover. I could be wrong though but it'd be the first time that's happened in the last 20 minutes. :confused5:
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

newseultra07

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2021, 08:35:50 PM »

So maybe some of the better informed folks out there could explain why we couldn't take both sets of speaker leads per speaker with the Boom II setup and splice together the pos. to pos. and the neg. to the neg. that go the bi-amped? factory system to get ALL the power from the Boom II amps into a really good quality replacement speaker?? Someone has to be able to figure out a way to build a better mouse trap.  :nixweiss:

TIA

My bike is a 2018 CVO Anniversary so should have the Boom 2 or not, hell I don't really know..
2018 Anniversary CVO M8

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2021, 06:23:10 AM »

My bike is a 2018 CVO Anniversary so should have the Boom 2 or not, hell I don't really know..
No sir it does not. Only has the Boom 1. The ultras do not come with the Boom2. All the other bikes do.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!
Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 0.189 seconds with 21 queries.