Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom II saddlebag speakers - 2 ohms upgrade options or ok to use 4 ohms?  (Read 1412 times)

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"

I am having Sinister Sound fairing speakers installed this weekend on a 2020 CVO Road Glide. A little pricey, but I heard them at a demo and they sounded great even without changing amplifiers. They were also one of the few options I could find that were 2 ohms.

I am now looking for good 5x7 saddlebag speaker options that are 2 ohms. I am not finding anything. The Rockfords being put in the 2021 models are 2 ohms but not compatible with my 2020. I recently saw a thread on this page where someone put 4 ohms Rockford speakers in their 2019 CVO bags. Is it ok to swap the OEM 2 ohms speakers for 4 ohms? I am not knowledgeable when it comes to electronics and don’t want to cause any damage.

Also, I did find some 6x9 speakers from “Kicker” that are 2 ohms. Does anyone know if it’s possible to fit 6x9 speakers in the bags with any sort of adapter?

Thanks for your help!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Yes you can use 4 ohm speakers in the saddle bags and they will not damage anything.  You will probably have to fade to the rear 1 or 2 notches to balance the volume.  There is a lot of threads on this here about it if you can find them.  Thinking myself of upgrading myself now too, after hearing my buddies new 21' Fossgate systems much better base output and after going through 2 sets of stock speakers.  Note:  a 2 ohm amp actually runs a little cooler pushing to a 4 ohm speaker but not necessarily the other way around.  Ideally to achieve max / optimal output of any amp you want to match the internal (ohms) of the Amp to the internal (ohms) of the speakers used.
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

Phreakyz

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: Current: 2019 CVO Road Glide Lightning Silver & Charred Steel With Black Hole
    • CVO2: Previous: 2016 CVO Street Glide Licorice/Cobalt

Just throwing it out there because I don't know the answer...   Why couldn't you use the '21 Rockford speakers on a boom II system if they are also 2 Ohm?   I assume they are 3 way speakers with a woofer, mid and tweet?    Is it just a matter of Rewire?   Is it that you would have to change the speaker grills?    Everyone says you can't,  just wondering why?

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

Yes you can use 4 ohm speakers in the saddle bags and they will not damage anything.  You will probably have to fade to the rear 1 or 2 notches to balance the volume.  There is a lot of threads on this here about it if you can find them.  Thinking myself of upgrading myself now too, after hearing my buddies new 21' Fossgate systems much better base output and after going through 2 sets of stock speakers.  Note:  a 2 ohm amp actually runs a little cooler pushing to a 4 ohm speaker but not necessarily the other way around.  Ideally to achieve max / optimal output of any amp you want to match the internal (ohms) of the Amp to the internal (ohms) of the speakers used.

I appreciate the feedback. The particular speakers this member used even says in the description "Not compatible with Boom II systems": https://rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/tms57/

So with that, just wanted to dig further. In the end if its safe to run and they sound better, I'm all about it. I understand I would lose the tweeter in each saddlebag as the Rockfords are only two way, but I found that tweeter to be a little harsh anyways.

Just throwing it out there because I don't know the answer...   Why couldn't you use the '21 Rockford speakers on a boom II system if they are also 2 Ohm?   I assume they are 3 way speakers with a woofer, mid and tweet?    Is it just a matter of Rewire?   Is it that you would have to change the speaker grills?    Everyone says you can't,  just wondering why?

I put a lot of effort into understanding that myself. It has something to do with physical fitment based on the amp and wiring. Three different dealerships have told me it can’t be done when I was ready to spend the money. I’m sorry I can’t offer more details, It’s been a while since I’ve visited that option. I really don’t understand why two different 5x7’s wouldn’t be interchangeable, either.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

• CVO1: 2011 Slate/Black SERGU** traded
    • CVO2: 2015 Double Blue SERGU
    • CVO3: 2012 SERG Blue

Boom II is basically two separate speakers in one. One set of leads goes to the mids/woofers and the other set goes to the tweeters. It takes up 2 of the 4 channels in the amp. The new RF stuff only needs one speaker lead instead of two.
PHOTOBUCKET IS HOLDING MY PIX HOSTAGE!!!

kojak

• 1K CVO Member

I’m not an audio expert but if your amp is pushing 100w/ channel into 2 ohm speakers, it will be pushing 50 w/channel into 4 ohm speakers. It should be fine as long as you pick the right speakers.
kojak
2022 CVO RGL
2022 Apex FLTRK Traded
2021 CVO Limited Bronze Armor Sold
2019 RGS Billiard Blue Traded
2017 CVO Limited Spiked Olive Traded
2016 CVO SG Stardust Traded
2013 CVO RG Atomic Orange Sold
2010 CVO SG Cobalt Sold
2007 CVO RK Blue Traded
2005 CVO EG Teal Traded
And some 20 other bikes over 45 years

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

I’m not an audio expert but if your amp is pushing 100w/ channel into 2 ohm speakers, it will be pushing 50 w/channel into 4 ohm speakers. It should be fine as long as you pick the right speakers.

At that point would 4 ohms speakers be counterintuitive? It seems like upgrading to "better" speakers that are 4 ohms would then just cut my output in half for each speaker, unless I'm not understanding it correctly.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

At that point would 4 ohms speakers be counterintuitive? It seems like upgrading to "better" speakers that are 4 ohms would then just cut my output in half for each speaker, unless I'm not understanding it correctly.
To go further into my previous post about the B2 speakers using two set of leads (or channels in the amp) per speaker location, each channel in the Boom amp is 75 watts. If you're only using one channel (or set of speaker wires) at 75 watts to power a 4ohm speaker, you've effectively cut you power down to 37.5 watts to each speaker. Not too sure you'll find too many speakers that fit that like to run on such little power.
Now if there were a way to bridge the B2 amp to run it as a 2 channel amp instead of a 4 channel amp, life would be much easier.

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
    • IN

Just an update: I have the Sinister Sound fairing speakers in. It's enough of an improvement where I'm not even worried about saddlebag speakers anymore. I still appreciate the feedback and knowledge some of you shared.

Thank you!
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

OBB

• 5k CVO Member
  • aka Ohiobellboy
    • OH

Just an update: I have the Sinister Sound fairing speakers in. It's enough of an improvement where I'm not even worried about saddlebag speakers anymore. I still appreciate the feedback and knowledge some of you shared.

Thank you!
That's great news! Problem solved.

sent using Tapatalk

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 21 queries.