Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Install advice (bars)  (Read 1536 times)

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

• CVO1: 2016 SESG
Install advice (bars)
« on: May 14, 2021, 08:21:26 PM »

So I finally got everything to switch out the handlebars on my sg. I have the bars, new wires, bushings, and the drop down brackets for my mirrors. So I guess I’m wondering if you gents that have changed your own bars if you have any tips or tricks. I am going to be hopefully installing them tomorrow. Not worried about being fast, if I need to walk away from it and finish Sunday I am alright with that. Just don’t want to break anything or screw anything up.

Thanks
Kevin

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

Re: Install advice (bars)
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 11:19:07 PM »

Which bars are you installing?
Are you replacing the handle bar clamp ?
I personally would not change out a bar with out replacing the OE clamp.... its cheap insurance

So I finally got everything to switch out the handlebars on my sg. I have the bars, new wires, bushings, and the drop down brackets for my mirrors. So I guess I’m wondering if you gents that have changed your own bars if you have any tips or tricks. I am going to be hopefully installing them tomorrow. Not worried about being fast, if I need to walk away from it and finish Sunday I am alright with that. Just don’t want to break anything or screw anything up.

Thanks
Kevin
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2021, 01:29:28 PM »

Check this link if I did it right about installing 14" bars I did a couple of years ago. https://www.cvoharley.com/smf/index.php?topic=118868.0
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2021, 08:39:43 PM »

So I got the namz wire harness ran, got the bars on the bike and plugged all connections in to make sure everything worked, and it did  ;D  Then I went to attached the brake lever and then all of a sudden the alarm starts screaming. The alarmed stopped and then screaming again. Did that a few times while I was trying to get to the battery. Got the seat off and was ready to disconnect the battery when it stopped. Now I have nothing. The security light doesn’t flash like normal and I have no power.

I checked fuses and nothing is blown, I am at a complete loss. I took everything apart again and there are no pinched wires. I have a feeling I really screwed something up and this is why I should just stick with paying people  :bigcry:

Mr D

• 1K CVO Member
    • WI

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2021, 11:23:39 PM »

So I got the namz wire harness ran, got the bars on the bike and plugged all connections in to make sure everything worked, and it did  ;D  Then I went to attached the brake lever and then all of a sudden the alarm starts screaming. The alarmed stopped and then screaming again. Did that a few times while I was trying to get to the battery. Got the seat off and was ready to disconnect the battery when it stopped. Now I have nothing. The security light doesn’t flash like normal and I have no power.

I checked fuses and nothing is blown, I am at a complete loss. I took everything apart again and there are no pinched wires. I have a feeling I really screwed something up and this is why I should just stick with paying people  :bigcry:

Kev, go see the team at the HOH
2014 FLHRSE6 Orange/Black
2012 FLHXSE3 Ruby/Typhoon [Sold]
2007 SEUC2 Red/Blk [Sold]
2006 SEUC Haze/Black [Sold]
2005 SEEG Yellow [Sold]
2003 VRSCA [Sold]
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
Phil 4:13

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2021, 06:09:00 PM »

Got it figured out. I took it all back apart today and found I pinched a wire in the switch housing that ended up grounding out on the bars. It also blew the 5 amp battery fuse, which I didn’t see last night. Got it all back together and went for a short ride. Going to take a few miles but I think I am going to be really happy. The bars are 12” fat baggers bars.

ultra13

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

• CVO1: 2013 CVO Ultra
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2021, 09:11:22 PM »

Good job. See, you don't need to pay big $$ to have work done... ;D

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2021, 11:54:11 AM »

Everyone makes mistakes but now you know and you saved a bunch of money that now can be used on something else or by helping a friend do his /her bars you will get free food & beer!  I recently had to fix a riding friends bike bar install gone wrong that a local dealer wanted $1300 to fix.  Ended up being a ground wire pulled out of the throttle circuit connector & some smashed harnesses.  Got a nice bottle of Bourbon!  All good
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

kevin_n

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • WI

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2021, 06:47:37 PM »

Just needed to walk away and sleep on it. Tackling it refreshed helped out I think. Not sure I wanna do it again so hope I am happy with them. Did just a short ride when finished and now supposed to rain all week.

Page created in 0.136 seconds with 22 queries.