Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Battery availability.  (Read 627 times)

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
Battery availability.
« on: May 27, 2021, 01:07:11 PM »

On another thread the original poster lamented that a shortage of popular tires has left him looking at Bridgestones.  Would you believe there might also be a shortage of batteries too?

The battery in my bike died.  Even though it was kept on a tender the whole time I was in Afghanistan it died. It was a Drag Specialties Premium AGM battery. I know it was more than five years old, probably closer to seven, so I guess it was about time.  It served me well and was advertised at 500 CCA.

I went online to all my favorite bike parts vendors, Dennis Kirk, JP Cycles and Revzilla.  That particular battery was out of stock at Dennis Kirk and JP Cycles.  It was priced at $208.  Revzilla doesn't even carry it.   So I went to a local battery supply store.  They had a Deka available for $162.  I asked the salesman what the CCA was and he told me 400.  Then he went on to say that Deka under rates their CCA ratings.  He hooked the battery up to a tester and it read 660CCA on the meter!

This made my day.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
Re: Battery availability.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2021, 02:14:12 PM »

Exactly 4 years ago (nearly to the day) my battery was toast after a 300 mile ride to Pigeon Forge. 8:50pm with no other options called the local advance auto: yes we have a battery and we close in 10 minutes, took my buddy’s bike and got there just before they were about to lockup.  Fast forward to two weeks ago, back in Pigeon Forge, Day 2 of a week long vacation touring the Smokies , hit the starter and she’s dragging just like 4 years earlier! Could have probably rode for a couple more days but didn’t want to chance getting stranded out in God’s country so back to the same store (they had 8 batteries in hand) and $138 later she’s firing right up with no hesitation. Not sure why I shared this as it really has nothing to do with a battery shortage but good info to know about the CCA of the Deka battery.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2021, 08:15:39 PM »

Exactly 4 years ago (nearly to the day) my battery was toast after a 300 mile ride to Pigeon Forge. 8:50pm with no other options called the local advance auto: yes we have a battery and we close in 10 minutes, took my buddy’s bike and got there just before they were about to lockup.  Fast forward to two weeks ago, back in Pigeon Forge, Day 2 of a week long vacation touring the Smokies , hit the starter and she’s dragging just like 4 years earlier! Could have probably rode for a couple more days but didn’t want to chance getting stranded out in God’s country so back to the same store (they had 8 batteries in hand) and $138 later she’s firing right up with no hesitation. Not sure why I shared this as it really has nothing to do with a battery shortage but good info to know about the CCA of the Deka battery.

Was the battery an AGM, or lead plates and acid?
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

SIKBIRD

• Elite CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • AL

• CVO1: 2004 FLHTCSE: Orange Pearl & Jet Black
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2021, 09:53:01 PM »

AGM, same exact one I had before, lasted 4 years which isn’t too bad considering the price. Here it is:

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 21 queries.