CVO Technical > Twin Cam

2004 SEEG CAM TENSIONERS

(1/11) > >>

TonyO77:
Need to replace the cam tensioners on my 2004 103”
I don’t want to do a complete upgrade until after riding season if I don’t have to, what are my best options to replace the factory tensioners?
Any idea what special tools I would need?

hd-dude:
If you are pulling it apart to change the tensioners it is foolish not to do the upgrade to the hydraulic system as its the same amount of work. You should change the inner and outer cam bearings and lifters as well. For tools you will need the cam bearing installer and remover tools and a press

TonyO77:
Yeah, I have been doing some research and arrived at the same conclusion, probably going to do eithe S & S cam kit that has everything including cams or SE, haven’t decided yet.

VRODDAVE:
When I had my 103 SEEG I did an S&S gear drive with 570 cams.   I believe it had 20k when installed and it ran like a champ for 80k following that before I crashed .   Hydraulic or spring tensioner's need to be replaced at regular intervals.   if I remember correctly run out was at .003 of an inch.  It was nice and quiet.

Just food for thought ...

timo482:
change the cams.. now it needs tuning.. if you want to just do the repair.. either do new shoes and do it again in a couple years, or do the upgrade kit and get the better tensioners and better oil pump.. as soon as you start changing cams then its another several hundred dollars...

its called "mission creep"

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version