Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boom audio sounds terrible until it warms up.  (Read 634 times)

krautdoggie

Boom audio sounds terrible until it warms up.
« on: June 20, 2021, 10:59:47 AM »

Ok guys I have a weird one. I have a 17 CVO SG that has the boom audio with 2 amps. When I start out the audio sounds terrible and warbly and after about 5 minutes it clears up and I am rockin and rollin. It does not matter what mode I have it in, Sat, FM, mp3, ect. Any idea on where to start? I always get the weird issues. Bike is out of warranty. I mentioned it to the dealer but they just looked at me with a dazed and confused look as usual. Thanks.

RivRaptor

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

Re: Boom audio sounds terrible until it warms up.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 12:31:24 PM »

Process of elimination.  I'd unplug the rear speakers then try to replicate the issue.  If the front speakers work perfect then you know its the rear amp or speakers, if it doesn't go away then do the same for the front speakers.  If neither then its most likely the head unit.  Also while trouble shooting realize that before replacing an amp that the signal for that amp does originate in the head unit.   Probably a bad connection in one of the components (cold solder joint or other defective electrical component). But first reseat / inspect all connections.  When it comes to electronics or mechanics nothing surprises me these days good luck!  Also there are a lot if people that have upgraded their systems so getting ahold of some cheap swap out parts wouldn't be to difficult....or a good time to upgrade!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 12:22:16 PM by RivRaptor »
2017 CVO Street Glide-Dark Slate Candy & Artic Black

Sometimes it's the people who no one imagines anything of that do the things that no one can imagine

ltank

• 1K CVO Member
    • LA

• CVO1: 2000 FXR4 S&S V111, CustomS.S. 2-1 exhaust, Primo-Rivera OD 6 speed, 49mm Custom Front End Ohlins 30mm Fork cartridges , Hyperpro Shocks, Barnett Scorpian Clutch
    • CVO2: 1983 88" Shovelhead Won the World of Wheels 1985 Sept 85 Issue of Hot Bike Mag
    • CVO3: 1989 FXRS, 1990 Custom 100" Shovelhead/ EVO
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2021, 01:59:51 PM »

Check amp each ground wire to the battery gnd.
Then check each gnd wire at the amp to each other.
The gnd wire resistance should be about .5 ohms
Between connections. Gnd loops in audio equipment
Can cause strange problems. Let us know what you find. While you're in ther check both wires to speakers from both amps and the line output from stereo head to amps.

Glenncarp

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2021, 04:19:32 PM »

Process of elimination.  I'd unplug the rear speakers then try to replicate the issue.  If the front speakers work perfect then you know its the rear amp or speakers, if it doesn't go away then do the same for the front speakers.  If neither then its most likely the head unit.  Also while trouble shooting realize that before replacing an amp that the signal for that amp does originate in the head unit.   Probably a bad connection in one of the components (cold solder joint or other defective electrical component). But first reseat / inspect all connections.  When it comes to electronics or mechanics nothing surprises me these days good luck!  Also there are a lot if people that have upgraded their systems so getting ahold of some cheap swap out parts wouldn't be to difficult....or a good time to upgrade!

Boom Audio II only sound terrible when it is cold? I NEVER thought the Boom Audio II system sounded good. Hot of cold.  ;D

krautdoggie

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2021, 10:38:49 PM »

Well I think I found the issue. So I go out and turn the acc power on and everything sounds good and working as good as a Boom can work. Fire it up, wife hops on still sounds ok. Start down the road and its all distorted WTF? Then I remembered I turned OFF the Auto Volume Speed control in the settings last year. Sure shootin. I turn it back on and the sound comes back undistorted. What a crock.  I'll have to see if I have the latest software version and see if that does anything. At least I didn't have to tear it apart. Thanks for the replies.

Page created in 1.178 seconds with 21 queries.