Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Engine rebuild cam shaft upgrade  (Read 1177 times)

Plzdvm

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: Pro Street Breakout 17’
Engine rebuild cam shaft upgrade
« on: July 04, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »

So unfortunately the 110 in my 2017 pro street breakout needs a rebuild, told the damage was in large part due to the gas in the north east…it had 28,000 miles but I was not hard on it…so just curious as to replacing the stock cam, is there one that is a better option?

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Engine rebuild cam shaft upgrade
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 07:37:48 PM »

There are a butt ton of cams that are possibles.  How do you intend to ride the bike?  Highway, roadrunner, stump puller, etc?  That will dictate the choices and recommendations.

However, given the explanation you've been given I'm curious, what are the damages you've sustained?

Yellow09SERG

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: FLTRSE3 YELLOW!!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 12:05:11 PM »

What he said . Be real interested in hearing what the gas in the NE has done to your motor.
Most great stores start with a bad decision

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2021, 03:30:56 PM »

Is this a warranty rebuild or our of your pocket? 
Now is also the time to consider some other upgrades.  Maybe boring out to 113" or going to 117" cylinders and also increasing compression a little, in addition to addressing the heavy springs in the heads.
Would be good to know what damage was done and what is exactly involved in your rebuild.  So many options available while you have the engine open and most importantly is to be working with a competent and reputable engine builder.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Plzdvm

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • NY

• CVO1: Pro Street Breakout 17’
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 08:26:51 PM »

Currently it’s a warranty rebuild, I’ll get the exact reason for the damage and what was damaged……in part to carbon build up which I was told due to the of gas we have in the north east, ??? but I’ll be in touch with them tomorrow…I am not hard on the bike, occasionally spirited riding , a lot of back road cruising…was curious about stretching the power band reason for the cam question……only added the exhaust..2 into 1  V & H and a fuel pack FP3….otherwise stock other then seat and other cosmetic changes…will get that pertinent info…thx

HD Street Performance

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 10:07:59 PM »

Use stock parts, cam included. Change the valve springs and lifters to improved parts. Get rid of that tuner and go for a real flash tune, power vision, tts, direct link are options. A tts 100 or andrews 48 are workable substitutes.

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 10:34:37 PM »

It's fortunate you're getting an engine done under warranty with the FuelPak installed.  That alone might be a good reason not to rock the boat while they're getting the work done. 

The amount of carbon buildup necessary to ruin an engine in as few miles as described is.... well... surprising.  I could be convinced to question the FuelPak there as much as I might the fuel itself.  After the fact, and without in use tracking of any kind, you're not going to be able to say for sure anyway.  So take the warranty work, smile, declare victory, tweak a little to your riding style (if they'll let you as part of the warranty repair), and ride on.

I'm a fan of the Andrews 48 mentioned above.  It matches well to what you described as a riding style.  With everything done with that in mind it makes my Road King and I a very satisfied rider. 

JKM

• Senior CVO Member

• CVO1: 2008 FLHRSE4
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2021, 02:15:39 PM »

I doubt it is the fuel and would bet it is the Fuelpak.  As mentioned above, go with a proper tuning device and get it on a dyno (not a canned map).  If the dealer is the one that sold you the Fuelpak, don't mention anything and go see a competent tuner in your area once the motor is re-assembled.
2008 FLHRSE4 (105 Anni)- V&H Dresser duals and slash cut mufflers, Big Sucker AI, PCV, Woods 777, JPrecision Heads

Glide-man

• Senior CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 2013 SERG
    • CVO2: 2009 Roadglide
    • CVO3: 2003 Serk
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2021, 02:52:23 PM »

Use stock parts, cam included. Change the valve springs and lifters to improved parts. Get rid of that tuner and go for a real flash tune, power vision, tts, direct link are options. A tts 100 or andrews 48 are workable substitutes.
  I did this option with tts 100 and tts mastertune. I love it. she has guts and hitting 3rd gear your flying... This is the way the bike should have came from Harley.. I have 1200 miles on the build so far and would highly recommend it.

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 21 queries.