Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Head sets  (Read 1177 times)

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
Head sets
« on: July 11, 2021, 11:38:08 AM »

So I’m very new the headset thing. Started off with the Harley provided wired headset on my 2016 SESG. Then bought a pair of the Sena 20s evo’s after installed a new GTS head unit (plus WHIM)  on my ‘16. Boy was that a learning curve making everything work and then work between me and my girl.

So I’m very curious what do most of you guys use with your head set.....helmet wise. Full face, 3/4, half?? Do you guys think the helmet effects the efficiency of the unit? And with a head set do you listen to your music via fairing speaker or headset? I have found my self listening to my music more through my headset lately.

I personally wear a full face, 3/4 and half depending on the ride. I don’t use a headset for the half though. I’d love to wear a full face exclusively but I gotta admit I live here in Florida and in the summer it’s 80 degrees here at 6 am so I opt for a cooler helmet.

So what is your helmet of preference with your headset of preference. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cvosjoe

• Elite CVO Member
    • Joe's Place
Re: Head sets
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2021, 11:45:32 AM »

So I’m very new the headset thing. Started off with the Harley provided wired headset on my 2016 SESG. Then bought a pair of the Sena 20s evo’s after installed a new GTS head unit (plus WHIM)  on my ‘16. Boy was that a learning curve making everything work and then work between me and my girl.

So I’m very curious what do most of you guys use with your head set.....helmet wise. Full face, 3/4, half?? Do you guys think the helmet effects the efficiency of the unit? And with a head set do you listen to your music via fairing speaker or headset? I have found my self listening to my music more through my headset lately.

I personally wear a full face, 3/4 and half depending on the ride. I don’t use a headset for the half though. I’d love to wear a full face exclusively but I gotta admit I live here in Florida and in the summer it’s 80 degrees here at 6 am so I opt for a cooler helmet.

So what is your helmet of preference with your headset of preference. Thanks

Full face modular regardless of temperature and Sena 20/30.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

2019 FLHXSE Charred Steel/Lightning Silver
2018 FLHXSE - Totaled
2017 FLTRXS Wicked Red Denim
2017 FLHXSE - Traded
2015 FLTRUSE - Traded
2014 FLHTKSE - Traded
2013 FLHTCUSE8 - Traded
2012 FLTRXSE - Sold
2011 FLTRUSE - Traded
2009 FLTRSE3 - Traded
2005 FLHTCSE2 - Traded
2004 FXSTDSE2 - Traded

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2021, 06:54:39 AM »

I have a Harley half helmet that I use with my Sena and can hear just fine when it works haha

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2021, 06:28:34 PM »

My BSR and I use the Bell Pit Boss half helmet, they have speaker pockets in the zip in ear muffs, intercom, music all through the helmet and do just fine. Just make sure you have a big windsock on the boom mike and the VOX all the way left minus one as all the way cuts it off and your headsets on 10 so wind doesn’t break the intercom. Hope I explained that correctly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hondo2doc

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »

My BSR and I use the Bell Pit Boss half helmet, they have speaker pockets in the zip in ear muffs, intercom, music all through the helmet and do just fine. Just make sure you have a big windsock on the boom mike and the VOX all the way left minus one as all the way cuts it off and your headsets on 10 so wind doesn’t break the intercom. Hope I explained that correctly.

Ok thanks so much could you repeat that. You mean the intercom vox all the way left minus 1? And the headset volume up to 10?.

glinkmeyer

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • OH

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2021, 08:48:28 PM »

The setting on the headset you can set from 1 to 10 as how easy it is to break the mike, not a volume setting. Volume I set as high as it will go an control the volume with the bike. You can set the mike break on the Sena app or when you configure the settings on the bike under setting up your headset.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2021, 11:50:13 PM »

I use two helmets, a half helmet from Daytona, and a 3/4 from Arai. I have a 70s style bubble I snap on it for rain.  I use the Sena 10s system on both. The speakers are earplugs with mini speakers built in. I prefer this as I am getting the full benefit of ear plugs, with speakers. This cuts out the wind noise and allows me to run the speaker volume much lower.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

tunaman

• 2019 FLHTKSE
    • CA

• CVO1: 2019 Limited
    • CVO2: 2016 C7 Z51
    • CVO3: 2007 Fat Boy (non-CVO)
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2021, 04:05:44 AM »

I’m like you… I use three different helmets, depending on the ride. I have a pair of HJC I90 modular helmets for the wife and I, which we use for long rides. I also have a pair of Harley half helmets, configured with the mount and speakers in pockets. Lastly, I have a small half helmet I use for short rides.

Definitely the helmets affect the effectiveness of the comm system. I have tried using my Sena 50S with my half helmet on long rides at speed, and they are nearly useless over 60 MPH.

For me, there are trade-offs for which there are no simple answers… it really depends on what is most important under the circumstances.

Ironhorse

• Vendor
  • 2.5K CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: 2006 SE Ultra
    • CVO2: 2018 GoldWing DCT Airbag
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2021, 02:41:08 PM »

I have tried using my Sena 50S with my half helmet on long rides at speed, and they are nearly useless over 60 MPH.

Exactly.  The wind overpowers whatever speakers you have in those pockets.  Then the sound is just garbled. That's why I use these.  They act just like ear plugs blocking out the buffeting, while the tiny speakers inside allow me to hear.  If there is no audio, it's just like having ear plugs in.
"But men are men, the best sometimes forget" Shakespeare, Othello Act 2, Scene 3

taweir

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • KY

• CVO1: 2021 CVO TRI-GLIDE
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2021, 08:05:55 AM »

Morning,

I have a 2021 CVO Trike with the 30K Headset.  When I turn on the headset it says Setting Up Headset then it says connected to boom.  Then a minute or so later the dam thing say "INTERCOM FAILED TRY AGAIN LATER".  Any thoughts or help on this one.  I also have the 20S wireless headsets from my 2018 CVO Ultra and no issues there. 

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2021, 08:12:30 AM »

Morning,

I have a 2021 CVO Trike with the 30K Headset.  When I turn on the headset it says Setting Up Headset then it says connected to boom.  Then a minute or so later the dam thing say "INTERCOM FAILED TRY AGAIN LATER".  Any thoughts or help on this one.  I also have the 20S wireless headsets from my 2018 CVO Ultra and no issues there.
I'm having the same issue, Will take it back to the dealer and have them try it.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2021, 10:23:00 AM »

Make sure the software is updated on it.  Chances are the software update came out after Harley got the headset.

gkemoyer

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 FLHTKSE
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2021, 10:50:37 AM »

Try disabling the VOX Intercom option in the configuration, this should stop the intercom failed message...

blacktop

• Senior CVO Member
    • ON

• CVO2: 2013 - Anniversary #674
    • CVO3: 2021 CVO Limited Bronze
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2021, 12:27:42 PM »

Make sure the software is updated on it.  Chances are the software update came out after Harley got the headset.
I must have tried updating the software a dozen times, each time it says v 3.1 is available and begins the process of updating the headset. It only gets to 70% updated then stops. The screen goes back to the message that a new version is available and asks me if I want to update to v 3.1. Trying again and again only produces the same results. I think something is wrong with this unit.

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2021, 01:40:45 PM »

I must have tried updating the software a dozen times, each time it says v 3.1 is available and begins the process of updating the headset. It only gets to 70% updated then stops. The screen goes back to the message that a new version is available and asks me if I want to update to v 3.1. Trying again and again only produces the same results. I think something is wrong with this unit.
It sounds like something is wrong with it.  I would take it to the dealer.  Sorry couldnt be more help.

Page created in 0.159 seconds with 21 queries.