Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Removing The Cats Without Voiding Warranty??  (Read 2443 times)

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

• CVO1: 2021 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 1962 XLCH
    • CVO3: 1965 FLH
Removing The Cats Without Voiding Warranty??
« on: July 01, 2021, 02:12:26 PM »

Hey Guys, I'd like to lose my cats and put a new exhaust on my 2021 Limited that sounds more aggressive than a sewing machine. I'm currently gathering parts including header pipes, CFR slip-ons and an aftermarket tuner which Harley changed on the 2021's. I'll probably go with the Vance and Hines Fuel Pak once the aftermarket world figures out Harley's new ECM (still waiting patiently). I'm open to suggestions to make this M8 sound like my last bike with a 110 and a similar setup. My biggest hurdle is figuring out if there's a workaround to keep my warranty or should I just do it and quit worrying about it? The bike's only 6 weeks old with a little over 3000 miles without any issues so far. I'd really like the best of both worlds if possible since I'm considering the extended warranty on this bike. Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks, Dean

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
Re: Removing The Cats Without Voiding Warranty??
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 02:26:19 PM »

You can't alter the emissions systems without:

a) breaking the law (yeah, we often don't care, but it's a fact)
b) voiding the warranty

So go for it or not.  That's up to however you wish to enjoy the bike.  But there's not even a question about saving the warranty unless you are very lucky with a dealership's efforts on your behalf.

FELIX

• Junior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • BC

• CVO1: Street Glide - 2020
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2021, 05:51:32 PM »

Don't even consider the extended warranty if you're going to do any of those modifications you're just throwing away money that you might need later. My personal opinion is put 5000 or more miles on it and go for the upgrade and wave goodbye to the warranty I think if you haven't had a problem by then it's a reasonable reasonable risk. Because yeah they do sound like sewing machines now.  Just my opinion.

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2021, 07:36:39 AM »

That’s what I thought. I always bought used bikes so I never had to worry about the warranty. I’ll keep gather parts and riding it like I stole it for now.

Thanks for the replies, Dean

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2021, 08:16:44 AM »

You can keep the stock cans and go with the Fulsac header and baffles.  That's what I did with two bikes and it was never an issue with warranty or extended warranty.  You keep the stock OEM look but get the sound and performance increase.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

vtwinjim

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • CA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Limited
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »

Save the factory exhaust and if you have an issue which allows you to re-install the factory system you may get away with it when you take it to the dealer.
Depending on the after market tuner you install, you may be able to back it out and go back to factory settings in the ECM but the dealer may find out when they hook their computer up. Then you are back to no warranty. If you don't perform your own repairs, this is probably not a good option.

Some people have cut apart the header, gutted the cat mesh, and re-welded the header. If cut at one of the existing welds and re-welded by an experienced welder, you can't even tell it's been messed with. Not the same performance as a new header though. Then you could use the Fullsac inserts on your mufflers as mentioned above and the bike looks stock. The tuner change can still be an issue.

As mentioned, you just need to decide which is more important to you, stock with warranty or modified for fun and noise. I had to remove my cat header because it was cooking my leg on my 2015. Had the engine rebuilt under warranty at about 26,000 miles. I then modified the bike and change the lifters every 20,000 miles or so. So far so good.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2021, 01:11:22 PM »

What Twolane said.  Any aftermarket tuner will void the warranty.  After market tuners leave an imprint & it's one of the first things they look for on engine issues. Modify the exhaust to non HD with a non HD tune will void the warranty.  There are some HD options which will leave it intact but they require all HD parts & an HD tune.

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2021, 08:51:55 AM »

I'm aware of the Harley tuner but it's limited as to what Harley is allowed to do with it. I do all my own servicing on my bikes so I'd rather use a tuner I can program. I'll probably ride it as is this summer to make sure I don't have any issues...Then do my mods over the winter. Maybe bye then, someone will come out with a tuner for the 2021's.

Thanks Again For The Replies, Dean

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2021, 10:08:52 AM »

I am sure someone will come out with a tuner for the new bikes but it is getting harder all the time. EPA is really clamping down on the manufacturers. Diesel guys got it first and so did HD. Now they are going after the manufacturer of the part as well as retailers.
They just fined a small Honda Dyno shop in Colorado (PFI) $18K for selling tuners out of state that were marked "off-road use only" and manufactured and sold to them by a large tuner company.
To each his own but as I've gotten older, and more hard of hearing, that HD warranty is worth more to me than a louder muffler.
Also one of the comments above states as long as you don't tune that exhaust changes are OK. This is maybe true somewhere, but NOT here where I live. You change the header/delete cats and your warranty is gone.

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2021, 10:51:59 AM »

None of my bikes have any warranty but I’m ok with that.
 8)
HOGMIKE

1badbagger

• Full CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG
    • PA

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 02:13:23 PM »

None of my bikes have any warranty but I’m ok with that.
 8)

My extended warranty on my 65 pan ran out as well ;D

rondolg

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • VA

• CVO1: 2017 FLHTKSE Palladium Silver/Phantom Blue/Wicked Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2021, 02:12:17 PM »

My bike is currently in the shop for an engine replacement, 2017 CVO limited.  Sumping did a number on my bike and ESP is covering the repairs.  So right now I'm a big fan of extended warranty.  It has also replaced 2 rear tires in the last 6 months for nails on interstate 95.

Main reason for replying.  As I was waiting in service to talk to the mechanic.  I noticed the open work orders.  One I could see, written in big letters.  "TTS installed.  Harley warranty canceled, ESP extended canceled".  I know that guy was going to be pissed.  But from what I can tell, Harley is dead serious about warranty stuff.  Esp. any ECM mods that report directly to the mother ship when plugged in to the computer. 

HOGMIKE

• 1K CVO Member
  • 65 FLH 93" + others
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2021, 04:52:51 PM »

Depending on the dealer (yes H-D is cracking down on them), it would be wise to make sure the bike is stock to avoid any issues with warranty when you drop off your bike for ANY work.
Most of the time they will look at any accessories and plug it in. Once flagged, there is a paper and electronic trail on the vin.

Told to me by a friend.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 04:54:47 PM by HOGMIKE »
HOGMIKE

Para Bellum

• Si vis pacem, para bellum.
  • 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: '07 Canyon Copper FXSTSSE, '08 Crystal Copper SEUC
    • CVO2: '11 Slate/Blk SERGU, '18 Twisted Cherry RGU
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2021, 01:18:15 AM »

You can keep the stock cans and go with the Fulsac header and baffles.  That's what I did with two bikes and it was never an issue with warranty or extended warranty.  You keep the stock OEM look but get the sound and performance increase.
Not an option anymore.  Removing the cats will void the warranty, as will using a non-EPA approved tune.  There are no EPA-approved tunes for a non-cat system.
If you want peace, prepare for war.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 22 queries.