Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking for cold weather, waterproof over-pants THAT WONT MELT.  (Read 3239 times)

Dana Lee

• 2016 RG Ultra CVO
Looking for cold weather, waterproof over-pants THAT WONT MELT.
« on: December 19, 2021, 11:51:25 PM »

So a few years ago I use to have some waterproof winter over-pants that I wore all the time. They were great! They were made of a waterproof canvas like material, had a removable insulated thermal liner, and on the inside of the calf section of the legs they had a fabric patch that would not melt if your leg accidentally brushed up against the exhaust pipe. I can’t remember if it was made by Tourmaster or Firstgear. I want to say they were the Firstgear HT Over-Pants. However, they have been discontinued. Those pants lasted me for like 15 years before they lost their waterproofing.
Now a days, everything is made out of synthetic materials that will melt the second it touches something hot. What have y’all found out in the market for durable, waterproof, winter over-pants that have an anti melting patch to protect the pants from melting if they touch the exhaust pipe on the right leg?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
Re: Looking for cold weather, waterproof over-pants THAT WONT MELT.
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2021, 09:17:47 AM »

I've used the Gerbing EX (eXtreme Element) jacket and pants for years.  Works well for cold weather and as a rain suit.  With my modular helmet I stay completely dry even when riding several hundred miles in a down pour.......or when we get caught in a freak snow storm on a Memorial Day weekend.
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Dana Lee

• 2016 RG Ultra CVO
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2021, 09:46:19 AM »

JCZ, do those pants have a heat protection patch around the right calf area to prevent melting the pant leg if it comes in contact with the pipes?

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 12:37:37 PM »

JCZ, do those pants have a heat protection patch around the right calf area to prevent melting the pant leg if it comes in contact with the pipes?

I believe they have on both legs.  I've been riding with this set up since 2010 and never an issue.  Many of the CVO group from the West coast have the Gerbing eXtreme Element.....  https://www.gerbing.com/mens-ex-pro-jacket
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

West Coast GTG   

CVODON

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 15 FLTRUSE
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 04:39:58 PM »

Aerostitch would be the Cadillac of this garment. They are very well made, virtually last forever but cost a lot. But you will stay dry, warm and the legs won't melt. I have not priced them in several years but the best I remember they will work to make you a good fit.

Dana Lee

• 2016 RG Ultra CVO
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 06:13:44 PM »

Thanks y’all, I’ll have to check them out.

Cooch366

• www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • MA

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 09:54:00 PM »

Aerostitch would be the Cadillac of this garment. They are very well made, virtually last forever but cost a lot. But you will stay dry, warm and the legs won't melt. I have not priced them in several years but the best I remember they will work to make you a good fit.

+1

Scott7d

• Senior CVO Member
  • 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
    • IN

• CVO1: 2020 CVO Road Glide 117"
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2021, 11:26:02 PM »

Last year I was in a pinch and needed some cold weather pants quickly for an Iron Butt ride. I bought a pair of Bilt Storm 2 over pants. I'll be honest, I haven't tested the waterproofing and can't comment on that. Otherwise, they have been a killer bargain for less than 200 bucks.

Heavier material on the inner legs to prevent exhaust burn, removable quilt liner, and they zip far up the leg so they can be put on/taken off easily while still wearing boots. I've done a handful of Iron Butt rides with these pants down in the 20's. A heated layer, regular pair of jeans, and these pants work great. Obviously heated gear goes a long way but these pants still provide great wind protection and insulation even at 80MPH/25 degrees. If it's at least above freezing, wearing only jeans under these pants is fine, no heated gear needed.

My eventual plan was to get a nice pair of Klim pants. I am going to wait until these are worn out, they are doing fine.
Scott Matlock
Iron Butt Ride List

TraumaSlave

• Senior CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • TN

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2022, 09:34:46 PM »

How redneck are you willing to get? I have worn my arctic lined Carhartt bibs in 20 couple degree weather with only jeans and been fine. Brushed the pipe without melt. Can't rally attest to "waterproof" but, highly resistant. Worn many tines 4 wheeling in the snow and muck, never wet inside.
A cat almost always blinks when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer.

Phaedrus

• Totally tubular!
  • Junior CVO Member
    • VA

• CVO1: 2021 FLTRXSE
    • CVO2: 2009 XR1200 (modified)
    • CVO3: 2003 FLSTFI (modified)
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 05:03:48 PM »

Aerostitch.  Love mine.

Page created in 0.141 seconds with 23 queries.