Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 298

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 729343 times)

Hoist!

• Monster
  • 10K CVO Member
  • This chit ain't ROCKET SCIENCE!!!!

• CVO1: '07C FLHRSE3, BLACK ICE OF COURSE, CUSTOM 110" TC 6-SPEED +++, "CYBIL"!!!
    • CVO2: '99 FXR3 BRIGHT & DARK CANDY BLUE W/FLAMES, STAGE II 80" EVO 5-SPEED +++, "JOY"!!!
    • CVO3: 4: & 5: '85 FXWG BLACK w/CUSTOM FLAMES, 110" EVO 6-SPEED +++ CVO style!!!; '08 NSMC PROSG CUSTOM FXR BASED PRO STREET BLACK, 89" EVO 5-SPEED, VERY FAST!!!; '09 NSMC HSTBBR CUSTOM RIGID HOISTBOBBER, SILVER METALFLAKE BATES SOLO SEAT & TIN w/BLACK WISHBONE FRAME, 80" EVO (w/Shovelhead bottom end) 4-SPEED! VERY COOL!!!
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #240 on: June 15, 2007, 08:11:15 PM »

hti or miss the next few weeks, then off to nelson

Me too. I'll call you over the weekend. Hoist! 8)
"We wanna be free to ride our machines without being hassled by The Man!"

Traxxion Dynamics Suspension Rules! "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up!"

"Cause I'm sitting on top of the world!" (zoom in on satellite map in my Profile)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #241 on: June 19, 2007, 10:13:26 PM »

Todays posts, the afternoon variety, have been brought to you by:

If you ride an 07 CVO and wonder what it would be like to ride an 08 CVO, then

is the beer for you.    ;D ;D ;D

Remember, drink responsibly and often.  Or often and responsibly.  I forget which one it is.  Maybe its both.   :nixweiss:

Cheers, Happy Friday and Happy Weekend all!   :drink: :drink: :drink:

That use to be my beer of choice in college, we had a local bar that had the stuff on tap, wow was that the bomb, I was there every day to get my fix of the stuff. 10 times better on tap than in bottles for some reason, I will still grab a spack once in a while, for old time sake but the fixation has worn off over the years, especially since I cant get it on tap locally.  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #242 on: June 19, 2007, 10:23:28 PM »

i started a new batch of brew over the weekend. i took all of the recipes that i have made and and tried to pull out the parts that i liked best. this should be a good blend of a Red and an IPA 3 kinds of hops in the boild and plans for a 4th to be dry hoped
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #243 on: June 20, 2007, 12:17:11 AM »

i started a new batch of brew over the weekend. i took all of the recipes that i have made and and tried to pull out the parts that i liked best. this should be a good blend of a Red and an IPA 3 kinds of hops in the boild and plans for a 4th to be dry hoped

naitram,

sounds good man, but you know there's a big margin of bittering units between a red and an IPA, a red is usually around 20-30 IBU's, where as an IPA is from 30-60 IBU's, so its a good idea to establish a target IBU before you start, and knowing what your hop utilization factor is the key to hitting that target. each hop variety has a different alpha acid percentage, and depending on the density of the wort a different extraction rate based on the time of boil, so in order to get what you want you need to do the math and figure out exactly how many ounces of each hop and how long they will boil in order to hit your target IBU for the style of beer you are going after. or you could just wing it and through in a little of this and a little of that  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Good luck Bro, Happy brewing, and remember Relax dont worry have a homebrew  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 12:45:42 AM by EAGLE1 »

WFP

• WoeFully Pathetic!
  • 5k CVO Member
  • 2008 Maggie Valley GTG

• CVO1: WFP-2003 FXSTDSE
    • CVO2: WFP2-2014 FLHTKSE
« Reply #244 on: June 20, 2007, 06:54:51 AM »

This is too much like work...I much prefer to drink the stuff!

naitram,

sounds good man, but you know there's a big margin of bittering units between a red and an IPA, a red is usually around 20-30 IBU's, where as an IPA is from 30-60 IBU's, so its a good idea to establish a target IBU before you start, and knowing what your hop utilization factor is the key to hitting that target. each hop variety has a different alpha acid percentage, and depending on the density of the wort a different extraction rate based on the time of boil, so in order to get what you want you need to do the math and figure out exactly how many ounces of each hop and how long they will boil in order to hit your target IBU for the style of beer you are going after. or you could just wing it and through in a little of this and a little of that  :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2: :huepfenlol2:

Good luck Bro, Happy brewing, and remember Relax dont worry have a homebrew  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
Finally have ridden a Harley in all 50 US States!

Canadian Provinces NOT travelled in or through by Motorcycle (YET!!!):

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #245 on: June 20, 2007, 07:05:10 AM »

Tried some of this a couple of weeks ago..their others are good as well.  This smells like fresh Blueberrys, but the taste is very subtle, with a nice crisp finish.  Quite good

Locally Sweetwater 420 is on tap @ Teds Montana Grill.  Some folks on our mountain ride REALLY liked this brew, but not my favorite.  Will give this one a try - evidently Sweetwater has quite a following around Atlanta.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #246 on: June 20, 2007, 07:15:18 AM »

That use to be my beer of choice in college, we had a local bar that had the stuff on tap, wow was that the bomb, I was there every day to get my fix of the stuff. 10 times better on tap than in bottles for some reason, I will still grab a spack once in a while, for old time sake but the fixation has worn off over the years, especially since I cant get it on tap locally.  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Since I am a bottle beer drinker, Negra Modelo, Becks, Dos XX's, Shiner Bock, Yuengling and a few others are "regulars" in the beer fridge.  Others rotate in and out depending on my mood or stuff I read here and there.  About time for some more Grolsch & Pilsner Urquell.  Agreed that most all is better on tap. I have no tap next to the pool, but I can float over on the lazy Saturday or Sunday afternoon to grab a bottle of amber nectar from a strategically placed cooler with relative ease.  Its even easier if a relative is there to hand me one though.

Kudos to those who brew their own - maybe someday I will as well.   :drink: :drink: :drink:

Fired00d

• Global Moderator
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Orange & Black SEEG... Can it get any better?
    • VA

• CVO1: FLHTCSE
« Reply #247 on: June 20, 2007, 09:43:23 AM »

naitram,

This is too much like work...I much prefer to drink the stuff!

No Chit!!!!! Sometimes I have hard enough time getting to the fridge to get another one out. :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:
:pumpkin: 2004 Screamin’ Eagle Electra Glide :pumpkin:
Rinehart True Duals
SE Breather
SE Race Tuner
HogTunes Speakers
Zippers 575 Gear Drive Cams
Zippers Pro-Tapered Adjustable Push Rods
Zippers Oil Pressure Bypass Shim
Feuling Oil Pump
Feuling Lifters
Zumo 550 W/Flame Caps
Lyndall Z+ Brake Pads
CVOHarley Member #1234
PGR Member #754 (Since '05)
Proud Member EBCM #2.0

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #248 on: June 20, 2007, 09:46:51 AM »

No Chit!!!!! Sometimes I have hard enough time getting to the fridge to get another one out. :D

:pumpkin:
Ride Safe,
Fired00d
 :fireman:

I purchased a small beer fridge, strategically placed in the den, for that very reason.   ;D

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #249 on: June 20, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »

naitram,

going with the "wing it" method, writing it down as i go, if i like it then i'll do it the same next time if not then i'll adjust. dont even know how to measure an IBU just know what i like for taste

will have a total of 6oz of hops used for 5 gallons

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #250 on: June 20, 2007, 03:21:43 PM »

I'm in Rancho Cordova, CA this week, went into a roadhouse, they had Longhammer on tap, tried it out, not bad! I like hops!!!!

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2007, 01:11:21 AM »

going with the "wing it" method, writing it down as i go, if i like it then i'll do it the same next time if not then i'll adjust. dont even know how to measure an IBU just know what i like for taste

will have a total of 6oz of hops used for 5 gallons

I went that route for a while, but the problem is its unpredictable, no two hops are alike, so adding 1 oz of an alpha 12% hop and adding 1 oz of an alpha 3% hop will have a huge difference in the total bittering you are trying to achieve, Knowing how to measure an IBU isn't what's important, IBU's allow you to establish a measure on to all hops, which will allow you to mix and match any variety of hops and still maintain the same bittering. There are many programs out there for recipe formulation which will allow you to do this on the fly, I personally use pro-mash, and there is even the archaic brewers hop slide rule.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2007, 07:08:10 AM »

I went that route for a while, but the problem is its unpredictable, no two hops are alike, so adding 1 oz of an alpha 12% hop and adding 1 oz of an alpha 3% hop will have a huge difference in the total bittering you are trying to achieve, Knowing how to measure an IBU isn't what's important, IBU's allow you to establish a measure on to all hops, which will allow you to mix and match any variety of hops and still maintain the same bittering. There are many programs out there for recipe formulation which will allow you to do this on the fly, I personally use pro-mash, and there is even the archaic brewers hop slide rule.

Is there a matching brewer's hop pocket protector?  Sorry, just could not resist.

Ahhhh, my old school days and the slide rule.  If only it could have been a hops slide rule, I would have been much more interested.

Is the IBU similar to a PH measurement?  I work in the food biz, non-alcohol, and PH plays a big factor in overall taste.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2007, 09:34:00 AM »

i made my hop choices based on past IPA recipies i have made. so hopefully they will all work together.

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
« Reply #254 on: June 22, 2007, 02:38:33 AM »

Some thoughts for Friday's thread on beer, brought to you from our friends at Miller Brewing................
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 298

Page created in 0.191 seconds with 22 queries.