Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 298

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 731371 times)

RJ749

• SEEG Cult Newbie
  • 10K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2006 FLHTCUSE
    • CVO2: 2005 FLHTCSE
    • CVO3: 2002 FXDWG3
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #555 on: December 14, 2007, 04:43:50 PM »

I just want to say to every member of this great site, this Friday afternoon.......................

I love you.  Every One.
 ;)

:drink: :drink: :2vrolijk_21: :smitten:

spydglide

• 10K CVO Member
  • spyder-psychle
« Reply #556 on: December 14, 2007, 05:10:40 PM »

Man, you guys/gals know a lot about beer and making it......I know I really, really enjoy it.  And keep the Friday Beer Thread going........it's almost like stopping by a neighborhood bar on the way.  :drink: har!  spyder
2004 FLHTCSE Cobalt 'Huckleberry'  .....94K+mi.     &  1994 FLSTN 'OleGranny' .....116K+mi.

BAKRDS

• Senior CVO Member
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #557 on: December 14, 2007, 07:08:18 PM »

Always figured the best beer was the one in my hand.That was before I tried Moose Drool in Montana this summer.Sorry if thats your drink of choice,but that stuff is BAD. ( I,m to old to mean bad is really good )
'10 SESG
 '65 FLH

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
Re: Hop shortage
« Reply #558 on: December 14, 2007, 10:20:43 PM »

I talked to one of my friends last night, he said that his Mt. Hood hops had a few buds the second year, but really took three years to get a half decent crop. He uses his wife's food vacuum sealer to package them after they dry, gets almost all the air out.

The hop is part of the family Cannabaceae, which also includes the genus cannabis  ::)  Dried female buds have a high methylbutenol content, which has a mild sedative effect on the central nervous system, so Relax don't worry and Have a hoppy Homebrew  :2vrolijk_21:  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Once the vines are about 12” long, you’ll need to train them clockwise up a twine about 12-18 feet high. The twine is staked to the ground and the upper end is attached to trellis which can be supported in a variety of methods - poles, the side of your house etc. Remember that the vine part of the plant dies each year and will need to be removed before you plan on training them on a permanent structure like a chain link fence. Vines should be planted 3-4 feet apart. Harvest your hop cones when they change from a leathery feel to a papery feel. Dry them thoroughly before use and storage. Dry them in a thin layer on a screen in a warm, breeze-free space, or use a food dehydrator. They are dry when the strig (the stem inside the cone) snaps when bent.

For optimum preservation of hops valued qualities, they should be stored as cold as possible (30 to -5 degrees F, or -1 to -21 degrees C) and away from air. processing hops into bales, pellets, and plugs helps protect all but the surface layers from air, unfortunately it also alters the volatile hop compounds in many ways, but it is often done to extend shelf life. The compression causes the lupulin glands to burst, which increases the loss of the volatile hop aromatic compounds and also accelerates alpha acid oxidation. When they are fresh and whole, they beat all other forms in delivering the original hop compounds to the beer. If you keg your beer or otherwise have carbon dioxide or nitrogen available, you can flush mason jars with the gas, put the hops in whole, and then add a layer of gas and reseal the jars. old lessons requite  ;) :P

« Last Edit: December 15, 2007, 03:30:48 AM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #559 on: December 15, 2007, 12:20:22 PM »

Here's one my brother sent me yesterday.  :D

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #560 on: December 15, 2007, 07:28:07 PM »

I like JW Dundee's Honey Brown Ale I bought (among others) for the beer fest this past weekend. Discovered one thing for sure in working my way through 21 different kinds -  - - I like sweet beer. Had Some Coronado Brewing Company Orange Ave Ale with my sprouts and avacado for lunch. WFP's been there, guess it was all he got to see when he was out this way. Anyway it's like Orangeboom.  :)

I know this is a very old quote but I had to reply. I bought a 24 pack of JW Dundee's sampler from Sam's club about a month ago and enjoyed all of the different brews offered in the box. One of my favorites (I think) was the India Pale Ale. The American Pale Ale and Pale Bock were good as well. Honey Brown was nice too.

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #561 on: December 17, 2007, 10:06:51 AM »

i'm officially entered.....

Dear Fellow Homebrew Enthusiast,

Thank you for entering the 2007 Samuel Adams® Patriot Homebrew Contest™.  Your entry has been received by the drop location.   Please see below for details:

Your Entry #13842
Category: American Ale (10)
Subcategory: American Amber Ale (b)
Entry Status: Received
Comments: Valid

As a fellow homebrewers, we understand the amount of care and creativity that is put into each and every batch of your beer.  Please know that your entry will be handled (and tasted) with the same quality of care. 

If after reading the entire rules and regulations packet, you still have questions about the competition, please email:

patriothomebrew@bostonbeer.com

Cheers!
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #562 on: December 17, 2007, 10:38:26 AM »

i'm officially entered.....

Great!  Would love to try your brew someday. 
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #563 on: December 17, 2007, 12:22:45 PM »

Great!  Would love to try your brew someday. 

You might just get to, at Fenway next year.  That would ROCK!

I love the comments section, "VALID"
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #564 on: December 17, 2007, 01:17:17 PM »

You might just get to, at Fenway next year.  That would ROCK!

I love the comments section, "VALID"

Gillette not fenway, VALID is good, if you dont follow the submission rules you will get DQ'd
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #565 on: December 17, 2007, 01:30:27 PM »

Gilettes even better, nearly three times the people.  I had some valid beer yesterday.... very good1

ccr

• SEEG Cult Senior Member
  • 5k CVO Member
« Reply #566 on: December 25, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »

Picked up some Hobgoblin Strong Dark Ale yesterday at the healthy grocery store.  Yes, the picture and the tin that held bottle and a glass is what sold us.  Will tell you later how we like it.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #567 on: December 25, 2007, 12:47:05 PM »

Picked up some Hobgoblin Strong Dark Ale yesterday at the healthy grocery store.  Yes, the picture and the tin that held bottle and a glass is what sold us.  Will tell you later how we like it.

You should Love it, its a rich malty flavor with nutty overtones!!!   :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:
I got a four pack of cans a while back and was very sad after I sucked em back so quick
Very Very Good Beer  :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21: :2vrolijk_21:
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #568 on: December 26, 2007, 08:52:00 AM »

Saw that Hobgoblin in Ye Olde Liquor Store last visit & considered a purchase.  Will have to give it a try - interested in Mrs. We's report on that dark ale.

Appears to be a Sierra Nevada week mostly after depleting the Black & Tan supplies - on the way to the Keys after a shortened work week.  Seem to recall some Keys beers that may need another try....
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

« Reply #569 on: December 26, 2007, 08:58:26 AM »

I had a bunch of Guinness ($7.99 a 12 for bottles after rebate) and Grolsch that I took to my brother's for black and tans.  Had 2 18pks of European Pilsners from BJ's for out GTG Christmas Eve.  It has Pilsner Urquell (Chzech), Pironi (Italian). and a Polish Pils (name escape me, you understand...).  ALL were fantastic!

I like darker malty beers with lots of hops.  I'll be looking for the Hog Goblin....

As for Key West?  Try them ALL!

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 298

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 21 queries.