Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 298

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 720245 times)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #675 on: January 26, 2008, 10:11:40 PM »

If I do that I can't put it in the fridge right? Plus for now I am only fermenting in the primary and transferring to the primimng bucket to bottle. Give me your thoughts.

If my fisrt batch is drinkable i will have it done and drinkable by Bike Week Daytona!! One more week in the fermenter, bottle it next saturday, 2 weeks in the bottle at room temp and dark, then a few hours in the fridge............. Walla!

ok, I forgot that you have to cool it down because of your warm climate (its freezing over here)  :huepfenlol2:
Ales like a temp around 66-72 depending on the yeast, I always try to get it around 68 but no lower so I avoid a sluggish fermintation, thats why the conical with the glycol jacket and temp controller is the cats meow, but who has $1400+ to part with for this luxury, certainly not me. if you can control the temp of your fridge with an external temp controller you should be fine, but your right it probably wont fit with a leg kit.

after your primary firmintation is done (7-10 days) you should transfer the beer to a sterile glass fermenter for another week or two for best results, this lets the rest of the yeast settle out and clarify your beer, and actually its not a bad Idea to actually raise the temp of the beer to the mid 70's for the last day or two before you transfer for bottling. this is called a diacetyl rest, it is done to allow the yeast to absorb the diacetyl it produced earlier in the fermentation cycle. it imparts a buttery or butterscotch flavor which is only desirable in a couple of styles of beer but for most it is an undesirable flavor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 01:13:49 PM by EAGLE1 »
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #676 on: January 26, 2008, 10:26:39 PM »

ok, I forgot that you have to cool it down because of your warm climate (its freezing over here)  :huepfenlol2:
Ales like a temp around 66-72 depending on the yeast, I always try to get it around 68 but no lower so I avoid a sluggish fermintation, thats why the conical with the glycol jacket and temp controller is the cats meow, but who has $800+ to part with for this luxury, certainly not me. if you can control the temp of your fridge with an external temp controller you should be fine, but your right it probably wont fit with a leg kit.

after your primary firmintation is done (7-10 days) you should transfer the beer to a sterile glass fermenter for another week or two for best results, this lets the rest of the yeast settle out and clarify your beer, and actually its not a bad Idea to actually raise the temp of the beer to the mid 70's for the last day or two before you transfer for bottling. this is called a diacetyl rest, it is done to allow the yeast to absorb the diacetyl it produced earlier in the fermentation cycle. it imparts a buttery or butterscotch flavor which is only desirable in a couple of styles of beer but for most it is an undesirable flavor.

I will do that on my next batch. I only have one carboy and as you can see, it is in use! ;) I will ferment in my bottling bucket next time (I have a lid coming this week for it) and then transfer it to the carboy. I have been thinking about doing that. It just makes sense that if you pull the wort from the primary fermenter, leaving behind the trub, it could only help clear it up some and have less of a chance getting it in your bottles. I watched a video that spoke briefly on the butterscotch taste effect. Are you saying that raising the temp to the mid 70's for the last day or two before bottling will keep make this happen? I thought the video said to do something ike that that would stop that from happening.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #677 on: January 26, 2008, 11:03:06 PM »

I will do that on my next batch. I only have one carboy and as you can see, it is in use! ;) I will ferment in my bottling bucket next time (I have a lid coming this week for it) and then transfer it to the carboy. I have been thinking about doing that. It just makes sense that if you pull the wort from the primary fermenter, leaving behind the trub, it could only help clear it up some and have less of a chance getting it in your bottles. I watched a video that spoke briefly on the butterscotch taste effect. Are you saying that raising the temp to the mid 70's for the last day or two before bottling will keep make this happen? I thought the video said to do something ike that that would stop that from happening.

I wouldn't do that, leave your bottling bucket solely for bottling or you will have crud that will not clean up in it, remember thats the last step in the process and your bottling bucket should stay pristine so you don't impart any off flavors or smells, the food grade plastic that this is made of is very soft and porous and will soak up chit if you ferment in it. Go and get more glass carboys, do your primary fermentation in your stainless conical and then transfer to your carboys for the secondary, you will be able to do a new batch every 8-10 days as you free up your conical, I have had as many as 8 carboys waiting for bottling or kegging at times and there is nothing better than having a back log of beer waiting to be consummed  :2vrolijk_21:

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #678 on: January 27, 2008, 12:59:36 PM »

I wouldn't do that, leave your bottling bucket solely for bottling or you will have crud that will not clean up in it, remember thats the last step in the process and your bottling bucket should stay pristine so you don't impart any off flavors or smells, the food grade plastic that this is made of is very soft and porous and will soak up chit if you ferment in it. Go and get more glass carboys, do your primary fermentation in your stainless conical and then transfer to your carboys for the secondary, you will be able to do a new batch every 8-10 days as you free up your conical, I have had as many as 8 carboys waiting for bottling or kegging at times and there is nothing better than having a back log of beer waiting to be consummed  :2vrolijk_21:

I agree, plus plastic gets scratched in it which can hold bacteria and ruin your beer, steel or glass it the only way to go for long periods of time.

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #679 on: January 27, 2008, 02:41:25 PM »

I agree, plus plastic gets scratched in it which can hold bacteria and ruin your beer, steel or glass it the only way to go for long periods of time.

FYI you know, after you said that it reminded me that I had a real big issue with the plastic valve on the bottling bucket, everything was fine for the few batches, then all of a sudden I have a bad batch, I found that that cheap plastic valve captured and held a small amount of beer no matter how much you flushed it, I don't believe it comes apart without breaking it, so I did, and I found some ugly stuff in there. never used it again and never had a problem again. it may be fine for a few batches but eventually it will get contaminated and cause you problems. I haven't bottled in quite a while but I just started using a 5 gal Cornelius keg to mix my corn sugar in and fill my bottles.

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #680 on: January 28, 2008, 09:21:40 AM »

Some of my beers were better than others, but I never had, a batch with an infection. The key lesson taught to me early on was everything before the boil needs to be very clean, everything after the boil needs to be sterilized!

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #681 on: January 28, 2008, 02:27:58 PM »

It's Monday & Friday is a looong way of.  Enjoy reading about beer when not drinking beer.  Just like I enjoy reading about bikes when I'm not riding or working on a bike. 

Good info for those who may want to start their own home brew set up.  :2vrolijk_21:

Dog made of beer:

Disclaimer: The author of the first post of the thread known as the "Friday Beer Thread" hereafter referred to as the Party of the First part does not in any way endorse, encourage, or advise the consumption of any beverages at any time.  This thread is for novelty purposes only.  Drinking any beverage while riding, driving, or in the case of the Party of the Second part, walking and/or crawling, is strongly discouraged.  No liabilities are assumed or indicated by any post here or response to this post here by anyone, anywhere, at any time.  In fact, reading this post is discouraged as there is no good reason for it. Proceed at your own risk and with due caution while reading here.  The Party of the First part may or may not consume beverages and any assumption that the Party of the First part will consume any beverage is only that and nothing more.  Reading at your own risk does not indicate an assumption of any liability.  If you have seen or know where the Party of the First Part's Happy Fun Ball is, please return it at the earliest opportunity, if not sooner.  If you are still reading this please stop here. Thank you.
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: '20 FLHTCUTGSE Trike CVO
« Reply #682 on: January 29, 2008, 04:45:40 PM »

The Value of a Drink

'Sometimes when I reflect back on all the wine I drink

I feel shame.   Then I look into the glass and think

about the workers in the vineyards and all of their hopes

and dreams .   If I didn't drink this wine, they might be out

of work and their dreams would be shattered.   

Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this wine and let their

dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'

~ Jack  Handy

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may leave you wondering what the hell   

happened to your bra and panties.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they

wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're

going to feel all day. '

~Frank  Sinatra

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are  tougher, smarter, faster  and better looking than most people.

'When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading.'

~  Henry Youngman

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you.

'24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case.  Coincidence?   I think not.'

~ Stephen Wright   

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may cause you to think you can sing.

'When we drink, we get drunk. When we get drunk,

we fall asleep.  When we fall asleep, we commit no sin.

When we commit no sin, we go to heaven. So, let's all

get drunk and go to heaven!'

~ Brian  O'Rourke

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may cause pregnancy.

'Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.'

~ Benjamin  Franklin

WARNING: The consumption of alcohol is a major factor in dancing like a retard.

'Without question, the greatest invention in the

history of mankind is beer.  Oh, I grant you that the

wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does

not go nearly as well with pizza.'

~ Dave Barry   

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may cause you to tell your friends over and over again that you love them.

To some ! it's a six-pack, to me it's a Support Group. Salvation in a can!

~ Dave  Howell

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may make you think you can logically converse with members of the opposite sex without spitting.

And saving the best for last, as explained by Cliff  Clavin, of  Cheers.

One afternoon at Cheers, Cliff Clavin was explaining the Buffalo Theory to his buddy Norm.

Here's how it went:

'Well ya see, Norm, it's like this... A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.  In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells.  Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells.  But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first.  In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.  That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.'   

WARNING:  The consumption of alcohol may make you think you are whispering when you are not.

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #683 on: January 29, 2008, 10:53:32 PM »

amen my brother......
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #684 on: January 30, 2008, 07:31:35 AM »

And..

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy.

:huepfenjump3:

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #685 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »

And..

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than have a frontal lobotomy.

:huepfenjump3:

Mi amigo Mike....I will be in Wellington Friday night.....so if you don't have any plans we can go out for dinner and some  :beerchug:

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #686 on: January 30, 2008, 10:58:04 AM »

Mi amigo Mike....I will be in Wellington Friday night.....so if you don't have any plans we can go out for dinner and some  :beerchug:

Capitol idea my man!  Maybe we can go see the belly dancers and eat some mid-eastern food!

amigo Jorge

• LDR #00372
  • 5k CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #687 on: January 30, 2008, 11:09:43 AM »

Capitol idea my man!  Maybe we can go see the belly dancers and eat some mid-eastern food!

GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! I will Jeff know about this plan so he might go as well....I will give you a ring Friday during the day.....

take care mi amigo......

Jorge

Rooster452

• Elite CVO Member
  • FLHRSEI.ORG

• CVO1: 07 SERK
« Reply #688 on: January 30, 2008, 01:31:09 PM »

GREATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!! I will Jeff know about this plan so he might go as well....I will give you a ring Friday during the day.....

take care mi amigo......

Jorge

Sorry gentlemen I have a date to drink beer (Friday beer thread) and see Ron White at the Fairgrounds and eat fair food!
Sounds like fun though.....
When are we going to plan a local CVO party/get together?

Rooster452

miker

• 5k CVO Member

« Reply #689 on: January 30, 2008, 01:33:22 PM »

Sorry gentlemen I have a date to drink beer (Friday beer thread) and see Ron White at the Fairgrounds and eat fair food!
Sounds like fun though.....
When are we going to plan a local CVO party/get together?

Rooster452

Goin off to see ol tater salad huh...Do love the fair food though even though it don't like me.
Is your bike done?
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 298

Page created in 0.213 seconds with 22 queries.