Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 298

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 729375 times)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #810 on: February 19, 2008, 01:40:55 PM »

:)
Toes in the water, ass in the sand

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #811 on: February 19, 2008, 01:41:41 PM »

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #812 on: February 19, 2008, 01:42:16 PM »

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #813 on: February 19, 2008, 01:43:24 PM »

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #814 on: February 19, 2008, 01:43:53 PM »

;)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #815 on: February 19, 2008, 01:44:42 PM »

Talon

• Life is like a jar of jalapenos, what you do today may get you in the a$$ tomorrow!
  • 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #816 on: February 19, 2008, 01:58:54 PM »

:2vrolijk_21:

REGGAB

« Reply #817 on: February 19, 2008, 02:01:50 PM »

More traveling = More new beer experiences for me.  Since we're a bit "sheltered" from the "good stuff" in Alabama, I've been like a rat in a cheese factory lately.  Not long ago I wrote about "Blithering Idiot," a wonderful 11.1% ABV barleywine.  I've found another fine nectar from the Weyerbacher brewery:  Double Simcoe IPA.  This one is 9% ABV, and is it ever GOOD!  Another one of those sippin' beers, if for no other reason than it tastes really good, however there is a chug factor that kicks in once half way through a bottle.  The resultant belch is most obnoxious in terms of decibels, yet surprisingly pleasant in that there is no bitter aftertaste.  Highly recommended, but be aware that the four pack will take just over twelve singles to acquire, and this is another beer best consumed when you are settled in for the day.  Cheers!   :drink:   :beerchug:

Have I mentioned that third shift SUCKS?   :(

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #818 on: February 19, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »

Reggab - third shift sucks gnat balls.  Agreed on those barleywines.  They sneak up on ya and Wham!

It's like Friday everyday when I read this thread & see all the new stuff. :2vrolijk_21:

An epiphany or 2 was realized as I read this post of Eagle1's from above:

"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #819 on: February 20, 2008, 12:22:19 AM »

More traveling = More new beer experiences for me.  Since we're a bit "sheltered" from the "good stuff" in Alabama, I've been like a rat in a cheese factory lately.  Not long ago I wrote about "Blithering Idiot," a wonderful 11.1% ABV barleywine.  I've found another fine nectar from the Weyerbacher brewery:  Double Simcoe IPA.  This one is 9% ABV, and is it ever GOOD!  Another one of those sippin' beers, if for no other reason than it tastes really good, however there is a chug factor that kicks in once half way through a bottle.  The resultant belch is most obnoxious in terms of decibels, yet surprisingly pleasant in that there is no bitter aftertaste.  Highly recommended, but be aware that the four pack will take just over twelve singles to acquire, and this is another beer best consumed when you are settled in for the day.  Cheers!   :drink:   :beerchug:

Have I mentioned that third shift SUCKS?   :(

Weyerbacher has created a gem of a brew, to be short and concise. The eclectics among us know the unique flavor of the simcoe hop and as a home-brewer I realize the time and attention it takes to infuse the quality of the hop into the brew, overall A great brew has been made here!  I've been disappointed with other weyerbacher offerings in the past, and I'm glad to report that this beer did not fall into the same category. Overall, this is a solid imperial IPA that has a hefty grain bill as well. It does however tend to be a bit 1-dimensional with such a strong focus on the simcoe hop.  It starts with the citrus and pine of the hop, then leads you into malty areas. The malt is sweet and strong enough to be tasted of the simcoe but balanced enough not to take over. As it flows further in your mouth and down your throat the hops take full charge again and eclipse the malts. You can feel the bitterness bite the sides of your tongue. There is even a slight metallic bitterness that starts off the aftertaste. You are left with the residual sweetness of the malts playing nicely with the hops in the warm glow of the higher ABV. A very tasty beverage that warms you on those cold winter days  :2vrolijk_21:

Simcoe is a relatively new hybrid variety similar to Cascade but higher in bitterness. What attracts brewers and drinkers to the variety is a distinctive citrus aroma combined with a high alpha-acid content that imparts a strong but pleasurable bitterness. Research into the hybrid was initially a financially-motivated enterprise (big surprise)... megabreweries trying to get more hop bang for their buck. It is a proprietary hop, and the name "Simcoe" is a registered trademark of Yakima Chief Ranches, LLC. This hybrid hop was created to allow maximum aromatic oils, along with low cohumulone (harshness) levels, so that brewers can really load up a lot of 'em in a beer and not have any harshness. The piney, citrusy notes are all here, and in a very clean (non-harsh) way, as well as having an aroma with impact.

I've done a few brews with Simcoe hops, and have found them to give some unique grapefruit or tangerine - like notes to pale ales. I haven't really used them in huge quantities, but with their relatively high AA% they can surly make a big impact on a beer. I think they are a great hop that has been flying under the radar for quit some time now, and I particularly like using them in conjunction with Amarillo hops to add a floral Bouquet to the mix.

To give a beer a impressive hop character I use Simcoe hops at three points in the brewing process. To begin with, I use a technique referred to as first wort hopping, in which Simcoe is added to the sweet wort as it enters the kettle. When the wort comes to a boil in the kettle I add Amarillo hops, adding another layer to the bitterness of the beer. Later in the brewing process I steep a large amount of Simcoe in the whirlpool to impart a distinct hop aroma. Finally, after transferring into my Cornelius keg, I dry hop the beer with a mixture of Simcoe & Amarillo, which instills a hoppy aroma with notes of pine and grapefruit. It brings back some great memories of the Memorial Holiday beer I did last year  ::)

Kegged 10ga. of the pale Ale today, took a sneak taste before carbonation, real smooth, crisp clean pale.  i'm dry hopping with a mixture of Simcoe & Amarillo, gives it this citrus-floral hop character, very similar to cascade but no bitter bite at the end. trust me you cant just have one.  :alcohol: :alcohol: :alcohol:  I just push it from the carboy to the keg with a little CO2, pressurize it for three days, let it sit a week (yea right) and DRINK :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

REGGAB

« Reply #820 on: February 20, 2008, 01:23:01 AM »

Weyerbacher has created a gem of a brew, to be short and concise. The eclectics among us know the unique flavor of the simcoe hop and as a home-brewer I realize the time and attention it takes to infuse the quality of the hop into the brew, overall A great brew has been made here!  I've been disappointed with other weyerbacher offerings in the past, and I'm glad to report that this beer did not fall into the same category. Overall, this is a solid imperial IPA that has a hefty grain bill as well. It does however tend to be a bit 1-dimensional with such a strong focus on the simcoe hop.  It starts with the citrus and pine of the hop, then leads you into malty areas. The malt is sweet and strong enough to be tasted of the simcoe but balanced enough not to take over. As it flows further in your mouth and down your throat the hops take full charge again and eclipse the malts. You can feel the bitterness bite the sides of your tongue. There is even a slight metallic bitterness that starts off the aftertaste. You are left with the residual sweetness of the malts playing nicely with the hops in the warm glow of the higher ABV. A very tasty beverage that warms you on those cold winter days  :2vrolijk_21:

Simcoe is a relatively new hybrid variety similar to Cascade but higher in bitterness. What attracts brewers and drinkers to the variety is a distinctive citrus aroma combined with a high alpha-acid content that imparts a strong but pleasurable bitterness. Research into the hybrid was initially a financially-motivated enterprise (big surprise)... megabreweries trying to get more hop bang for their buck. It is a proprietary hop, and the name "Simcoe" is a registered trademark of Yakima Chief Ranches, LLC. This hybrid hop was created to allow maximum aromatic oils, along with low cohumulone (harshness) levels, so that brewers can really load up a lot of 'em in a beer and not have any harshness. The piney, citrusy notes are all here, and in a very clean (non-harsh) way, as well as having an aroma with impact.

I've done a few brews with Simcoe hops, and have found them to give some unique grapefruit or tangerine - like notes to pale ales. I haven't really used them in huge quantities, but with their relatively high AA% they can surly make a big impact on a beer. I think they are a great hop that has been flying under the radar for quit some time now, and I particularly like using them in conjunction with Amarillo hops to add a floral Bouquet to the mix.

To give a beer a impressive hop character I use Simcoe hops at three points in the brewing process. To begin with, I use a technique referred to as first wort hopping, in which Simcoe is added to the sweet wort as it enters the kettle. When the wort comes to a boil in the kettle I add Amarillo hops, adding another layer to the bitterness of the beer. Later in the brewing process I steep a large amount of Simcoe in the whirlpool to impart a distinct hop aroma. Finally, after transferring into my Cornelius keg, I dry hop the beer with a mixture of Simcoe & Amarillo, which instills a hoppy aroma with notes of pine and grapefruit. It brings back some great memories of the Memorial Holiday beer I did last year  ::)

Interested read, but way over my head.  I just like it.  Great stuff.  I have two left for when I finish this shift.  REALLY looking forward to them, and I will get some more.  There are over 900 varieties of beer in the store I've been visiting.  I have my task, and I'll do my best.   :)

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #821 on: February 20, 2008, 08:22:03 AM »

While I only posses the vaguest of understandings of the brewmaster's art, the above sounds damn good.

:drink: :drink: :drink:

simcoe hops

amarillo hops

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
« Reply #822 on: February 20, 2008, 08:26:50 AM »

Amarillo hops look like Brussels Sprouts.  They MUST be good for me. 

BTW, this thread has moved into the top ten all time threads with most posts.  (I was looking at forum stats yesterday).  So much to say, so little time.  We've barely scratched the surface when it comes to BEER!
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #823 on: February 20, 2008, 08:48:56 AM »

jgeorge - Had no idea this thread was in the top ten.  :2vrolijk_21:

BTW - I checked with the Eff Bee Eye & the See Eye A-ee & if you really are a MoCo plant here, they were not aware of it.   ;) ;D :pepper:

They really like all the beer & boobs pics though & frankly I don't think they are paying attention to much else.

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

« Reply #824 on: February 21, 2008, 07:54:32 AM »

Based on the Heiniken small keg success of a couple of weeks ago, considering others:

Pages: 1 ... 53 54 [55] 56 57 ... 298

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.