Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 298

Author Topic: Friday Beer Thread  (Read 728094 times)

Hugh Janis

• Jim
  • 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: FLHTCUSE2 Cherry and Black
Re: Friday Beer Thread
« Reply #990 on: March 05, 2008, 06:53:40 PM »

I am going to finish the last of 4 I brought in the door before posting the Eustis 08 thread (go check it out)...
Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner...crikey, I'm thirsty just typing it...

They are ummmmmm......just o.k. 

I'd never heard of that before yesterday and bought a 4 pack when I was looking for Hazed and Infused and Blithering Idiot.  I had two last night and they are AWESOME!  Thank goodness breweries are taking more risks with the hops.  I'm a believer.
"I don't mind coming to work,
But that eight hour wait to go home is a bitch."

Click link for BBQ song..   http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1825742

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
  • Are You Valley Experienced?
« Reply #991 on: March 05, 2008, 08:33:42 PM »

Abita makes good brews. Plan to visit their brewery on one of my trips to LA.

Jock, that bar looks familiar......?

Near the market...got some other pics I will attempt to post...can not recall name but it may be in the pics...

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #992 on: March 05, 2008, 08:35:36 PM »

naitram brewing is in production mode this very minute. posting while boiling hops  :2vrolijk_21:

When can I expect to enjoy another batch?

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
« Reply #993 on: March 05, 2008, 09:09:46 PM »

ready in about 6 weeks
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2015 FLHXSE CVO Street Glide "Silvia"
    • CVO2: 2006 FLSTFSE² Screamin’ Eagle® Fat Boy® (SOLD)
« Reply #994 on: March 05, 2008, 09:38:37 PM »

I am going to finish the last of 4 I brought in the door before posting the Eustis 08 thread (go check it out)...
Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner...crikey, I'm thirsty just typing it...

They are ummmmmm......just o.k. 

It's hard to compliment this beer as it only bears the hops of a pilsner but very little of the style of pilsner. This beer belongs in the DIPA. Obviously the Imperial Pilsner is a quasi style that doesn't really have a firm definition, but this beer tastes very little like a pilsner. There is minimal to no maltiness and the flavor profile is simply overwhelmed by hops, granted it's Hallertauer. I enjoy the flavor as it is unique, but it really isn't a pilsner in my book. Kind of grassy hops flavor with a gritty mouthfeel and an intense tree bark/chewed up aspirin tablet like bitterness. Too medicinal of a bitterness to be truly pleasant for me, this beer needed more malt balance in my book,  and unfortunately at $10 a 4pk this beer really lacked the balance it needed to make it smooth, drinkable and worthy of another sawbuck out of my cheap a$$.  :smilie_daumenneg:

Toes in the water, ass in the sand

miker

• 5k CVO Member

• CVO1: 2009FLHTCUSE4
« Reply #995 on: March 06, 2008, 07:26:13 AM »

It's hard to compliment this beer as it only bears the hops of a pilsner but very little of the style of pilsner. This beer belongs in the DIPA. Obviously the Imperial Pilsner is a quasi style that doesn't really have a firm definition, but this beer tastes very little like a pilsner. There is minimal to no maltiness and the flavor profile is simply overwhelmed by hops, granted it's Hallertauer. I enjoy the flavor as it is unique, but it really isn't a pilsner in my book. Kind of grassy hops flavor with a gritty mouthfeel and an intense tree bark/chewed up aspirin tablet like bitterness. Too medicinal of a bitterness to be truly pleasant for me, this beer needed more malt balance in my book,  and unfortunately at $10 a 4pk this beer really lacked the balance it needed to make it smooth, drinkable and worthy of another sawbuck out of my cheap a$$.  :smilie_daumenneg:

I agree...it looked good going into the glass but was hollow on the delivery, I only paid 8.50...Live and learn.
I like a few of the sam products not many. 

I really enjoyed the Bells amber but they didn't have it this time...gas stations...We'll see what comes up this weekend, I can always fall back to the Sierra Nevada or sit around my "office" a swill some Guniess "surger" cans, have you seen that thing, it is cool.
'

iski

• 10K CVO Member
  • EBCM 007
    • FL

• CVO1: 2007 FLHTCUSE2 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Light Candy Cherry and Black Ice - Traded
    • CVO2: 2010 FLHTCUSE5 Screamin' Eagle Ultra - Crimson Mist Black/Dark Slate - Traded
    • CVO3: 2017 FLHTKSE CVO Limited - Black Garnet & Electric Red Pearl w/Carbon Dust
« Reply #996 on: March 06, 2008, 08:55:12 AM »

Reading about beer & came across thks:

Common Lager Styles

Pilsner
Pilsner is named after its town of origin in the Czech Republic. This is the classic lager style that is the most imitated in the beer-producing world. When people talk of lager, they’re usually talking of a derivative of this Bohemian style. Pilsner Urquell, translating as original pilsner, was the first of its style in 1842 and should be considered as the benchmark. It’s a light-colored crisp thirst-quenching lager, well-balanced, but noted for its hoppy finish.

Germany makes very good pilsners, with decent versions also available in other Northern European countries.
Classic examples: Pilsner Urquell, Bitburger, Budweiser Budvar, North Coast Scrimshaw Pilsner, Bohemia.
Further Reading: ”Pilsners are a Beer Style for the World” by mrkstvns
http://andaryl.epinions.com/content_1601347716

American Lager
85% of beer sold in North America is American lager, a style loosely based on pilsner. It is the mass consumed style of most countries outside of Europe.

This classification refers to a very pale, lightly hopped, light-bodied and usually over sweetened lager. It is usually brewed with added adjuncts, which speed up the brewing procedure, make for cheaper manufacturing and compromise much in terms of flavor. There are a few variations on this style such as light beer, dry beer, ice beer and malt liquor.

Not all American produced lagers should be considered bad. Samuel Adams brews an excellent lager, and many microbreweries are following suit. I also dropped the Mexican brewed Bohemia into the pilsner category.
Classic examples: You already know them, Bud, Corona, Molson, Dixie, Foster’s, Kirin
Further Reading:” Pilsners are a Beer Style for the World” by mrkstvns (read paragraph on American variations and frauds.)
http://andaryl.epinions.com/content_1601347716

Helles
Helles is a German word, which translates as light-colored, and is the most popular style in Germany. It’s basically a German rival to pilsner, golden, malt-accentuated, caramelly with a lighter hop and lower alcohol content.

Helles is a style not widely available outside of Germany, but can be found in a few brewpubs in the USA. Michael Jackson recommends Zip City, Goose Island, Mickey Finn’s and Hubsch Sudwerks. A classic German example is Augustiner.

Dortmunder Export
Dortmunder originates from, would you guess, Dortmund. It’s pale in color and has more taste and strength than a pilsner but less hops. It’s also fairly dry, firm, and low in carbonation. Beers resembling Dortmunder are also brewed elsewhere in Germany but simply called “Export”, while other Northern Europeans produce a version called “Dort”. I have fond memories of sharing several mini-kegs of DAB (Dortmunder Actien Brauerei) with my student roommates.
Classic Examples: DAB, Gordon Biersch, Sapporo Yebisu

Vienna, Marzen/Oktoberfest
Oktoberfest’s are brewed in March (Marz in German) and usually take on the style of a Vienna beer. Vienna beer is a reddish amber color, toasty, malty with a grainy aftertaste. It’s a style that became extinct but is the fundamental behind the more compromising ambers and reds that are becoming so popular in the USA. Oktoberfest is of course still extremely popular.
Classic examples: Samuel Adams, Spaten, Dos Equis, Gordon Biersch, Negra Modelo.
Further Reading: “From March, to October” by bryan_carey
http://andaryl.epinions.com/content_1595318404

Bock
Bock is a name that has drifted a little from its original title. The beer originated in Einbeck, Germany, and became ein beck, before the Bavarian accent turned this into ein Bock. The name Bock stuck, and irrelevantly translates as ‘goat’ in German. Now you’ll understand if you see a picture of a goat on a beer label.

The German’s who incidentally devised the beer purity law, also defined the style of Bock in law. As a result the beer must be at least 6.7% ABV, and either amber-brown or golden (and nothing in between) in color. They could be called the lager version of a stout, rich in flavor, strong, sweet and malty with a low hop bite. There are some poor imitations and I should note here that Michelob Amber Bock is not even close, bearing much closer resemblance to an Irish Ale.
Classic examples: Aass, Einbecker, Wynkoop, Rogue.
Further Reading: “Why is There a Goat on my Beer Label ?” by bryan_carey
http://andaryl.epinions.com/content_1489739908

Doppelbock
Doppel means double, but a Doppelbock is not a double strength Bock. According to German law they must have an ABV of at least 7%. Most Doppelbocks have the suffix -ator.
Classic examples: Optimator, Celebrator, Paulaner Salvator, Samuel Adams Triple Bock.
Further Reading: “Double Your Pleasure, Double Your Fun” by bryan_carey
http://andaryl.epinions.com/content_1599905924
"I had the right to remain silent, but I didn't have the ability." ~ RW

FNGw/08SERK

• 2.5K CVO Member

• CVO1: 09 SERG
« Reply #997 on: March 06, 2008, 04:58:00 PM »

Just received my first shipment from El Paso Chili Co. I would like to thank Terry for not only the heads up on their Margarita Mix which is unbelievably tasty but also for providing me with an excuse to start  :drink: Thursday vs Friday!!  :oops:  This is REALLY REALLY good stuff!  :2vrolijk_21: Thanks again!!

Howie

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #998 on: March 06, 2008, 07:57:06 PM »

Just kegged my 3rd homebrewed batch and it was an Irish Red Ale.

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #999 on: March 06, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »

I kegged it night before last and force carbed it just a tad. It was good last night and goody good tonight! My first homebrew was a Light ale that turned out fantastic, the second was an American Amber Ale which I kegged and bottled. This batch I kegged 3 full gallons and bottled the rest (about a gallon) from a five gallon batch.

Jock

• Keep the Faith!
  • Photographer/Historian
  • 25K CVO Member
« Reply #1000 on: March 06, 2008, 09:20:49 PM »

ready in about 6 weeks

mmm...six weeks equals mid-April...check temps...mid 50's high...low 40's low...

too....

because Jock is a...

when it comes to riding in the really cold...

Looks like it will have to be in the summer...

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #1001 on: March 06, 2008, 09:35:12 PM »

Just kegged my 3rd homebrewed batch and it was an Irish Red Ale.

Way to go Bro!  :2vrolijk_21:

Looks great man, nice Head  :P  :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Robmay

• 2.5K CVO Member
« Reply #1002 on: March 06, 2008, 09:47:56 PM »

Thanks Eagle!! You know this is ALL your fault right? :P ;)

EAGLE1

• 1K CVO Member
    • FL

« Reply #1003 on: March 06, 2008, 10:17:52 PM »

yup, no prob bro, blame it all on me, especially when you have to justify spending more coin on better equipment to the boss  ;)

SPIDERMAN

« Reply #1004 on: March 06, 2008, 10:30:13 PM »

Hey dude, how are you ?   :)

Haven't seen you post in awhile.  :nixweiss:

Got a new avatar too.

Welcome back  :2vrolijk_21:

B B
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 298

Page created in 0.183 seconds with 23 queries.