Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Author Topic: Pulls to the left??.  (Read 5825 times)

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

Pulls to the left??.
« on: May 12, 2022, 06:09:44 PM »

I've been trying to sort out why my bike drifts to the left immediately s soon as I attempt to let go of the handle bars.

With the side bags and TP empty it still drifts to the left. I've tried shifting my weight to the right but it still wants to pull left. Done the yoke bearing test with the bike on the centre lift and putting the wheel to the right and left then letting it swing to the centre,..wheel  stops at centre point.

Checked that the wheels are in alignment that's good.

When riding there's nothing noticeable the bike wants to go left until I attempt to let go of the bars.

Any suggestions are appreciated. BTW,..it's done this from day one when I got the bike . Its a 2007 I got it in 2010. Its not a big issue but just thought it's time I try and see if it can be sorted out..

CVOStreetglide

• 1K CVO Member

• CVO1: 2015 CVO Street Glide
    • CVO2: 2012 CVO Street Glide (Sold)
    • CVO3: 2010 CVO Street Glide (Sold) CVO4: 2006 VRXSE DESTROYER (Sold)
Re: Pulls to the left??.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 06:28:49 PM »

Jack the front tire up so it doesn’t touch the floor. Then see if you can move the front end front to rear and if it seems loose. If so you may have bad front end bearings or you may need a Fall Away adjustment.

If you take the front end apart to access the adjusting nut, I would recommend replacing both the upper and lower bearings and races and then do a Fall Away adjustment.

I hope it solves your problem. 

Jerry

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2022, 03:51:56 AM »

Jack the front tire up so it doesn’t touch the floor. Then see if you can move the front end front to rear and if it seems loose. If so you may have bad front end bearings or you may need a Fall Away adjustment.

If you take the front end apart to access the adjusting nut, I would recommend replacing both the upper and lower bearings and races and then do a Fall Away adjustment.

I hope it solves your problem. 

Jerry

Cheers Jerry,   I'll look into that 👍

spence

• Full CVO Member
  • www.CVOHARLEY.com
    • PA

• CVO1: 2016 CVO Limited
    • CVO2: 2020 CVO Limited
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2022, 07:17:04 AM »

Do you ride 2 up?  May sound odd but I ride 2 up with the MRS for 99% of my riding and naturally I sit to the left a little on the seat instead of the exact center so that the Mrs can see out front.  I have found that when I remove my hands it veers to the left slightly but I know to lean a little right and that corrects it, not that Im out there riding with no hands all day ha!  Could be something mechanical or could be something like that.

fastfreddy

• 1K CVO Member
  • MY CVO
    • IA

• CVO1: 2013 FLTRXSE traded
    • CVO2: 2016 FLTRUSE
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2022, 05:54:18 PM »

are the swing arm bushings good ? also check rear axle alignment (adjustment cams) if all good .... front tire  :nixweiss:  those are a few things i would check first
SERGU aka the RENTAL ... never home & always broke...Thnx FF

Threephase

• Elite CVO Member
    • TX

• CVO1: 2017 CVO Streetglide Starfire/Atomic Red
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2022, 07:12:44 PM »

X2 on rear axle alignment. I had a bike years that the rear axle was not aligned and everytime I hit a bump, the rear jumped to the right just slightly. Very un-nerving.
People call me Left. Because I ain’t Right.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2022, 04:47:39 AM »

Do you ride 2 up?  May sound odd but I ride 2 up with the MRS for 99% of my riding and naturally I sit to the left a little on the seat instead of the exact center so that the Mrs can see out front.  I have found that when I remove my hands it veers to the left slightly but I know to lean a little right and that corrects it, not that Im out there riding with no hands all day ha!  Could be something mechanical or could be something like that.

It's not that cheers

are the swing arm bushings good ? also check rear axle alignment (adjustment cams) if all good .... front tire  :nixweiss:  those are a few things i would check first

The swing bushings are good 👍.  I do work myself  I made a measurement rod that takes the measurement from the centre of the swing arm shaft to the centre of the wheel axle shaft, so that alignment is good .

I've checked the front bearings for any movement back and forth for any bearing play all's good.

I've done the FALL Away check and the wheel returns to centre but that's without removing the wing and not measuring the fall I think is 1/2" either way.

There is one other thing I've noticed the wheel is dragging on the brake pads a little enough that the wheel doesn't spin freely ( stops straight away) but not hard to turn,....perhaps the drag is the root of it. Only way to know I'm going to back off the pads then test ride if it rides straight then caliper overhaul.

Finster101

• Full CVO Member
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2022, 08:40:51 AM »

It's set up that way as a reminder to keep you on the WRONG side of the road!  :D :D  Seriously, hope you find it.  That brake dragging would be a real issue for me.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2022, 09:49:57 AM »

It's set up that way as a reminder to keep you on the WRONG side of the road0!  :D :D  Seriously, hope you find it.  That brake dragging would be a real issue for me.

🤣 depends on the direction you're travelling 🤔🥴😜 try with one eye closed

tlr

• Elite CVO Member
    • FL

• CVO1: 2022 SERG
    • CVO2: 2019 SERG, 2015 SESG, 2012 SESG
    • CVO3: 2009 SERG
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2022, 03:10:19 PM »

The same exact thing was happening to me on my 2019 RG. It was a slight pull to the left as if I was leaning that way. It happened when bike was brand new. I also felt a rear ass wiggle every once in a while, like the bike wasnt firmly planted. It made me nervous.  Several trips to the dealer. They changed the tires and that helped a lot but it still did it, although just slightly. I think it was a frame alignment issue. HD suggested it was how it is supposed to ride. Now I have a 22 RG and it is straight as an arrow.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2022, 04:11:52 PM »

The same exact thing was happening to me on my 2019 RG. It was a slight pull to the left as dif I was leaning that way. It happened when bike was brand new. I also felt a rear ass wiggle every once in a while, like the bike wasnt firmly planted. It made me nervous.  Several trips to the dealer. They changed the tires and that helped a lot but it still did it, although just slightly. I think it was a frame alignment issue. HD suggested it was how it is supposed to ride. Now I have a 22 RG and it is straight as an arrow.

Had wondered about the frame alignment myself.  Haven't done anything with it as yet its been busy hope to get to it this coming week.

longlast

• 2.5K CVO Member

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2022, 07:17:01 AM »

UPDATE!

I'm still having trouble with the bike wandering to the left when I let go of  the  bars.

Since I've replaced the left side caliper and overhauled the right side and wheel turn freely.(left caliper was seized and dragging) It's not resolved the issue though.

It still drifts left but now the front starts to wobble within seconds of letting go.There's no wobble issues when holding the bars I've taken it up to 100 mph with no issues with hanging. (I dare not let go at that speed)  the speed I'm letting go at is in the 60 to 70 mph range.

Why after doing the calipers it has a wobble when there it didn't before?  :nixweiss:

I've done wheel alignment checks ✔️  no issue,  calipers not dragging,  swing arm bushings good, rear shocks both at same setting and height,

Should I turn my attention to forks or steering head bearings (bearings loose)

It's not that I want to ride hands free but sometimes I need to but I have to stop if I need both hands.

All thoughts welcome.  Cheers

Joel

• 1K CVO Member
    • WA

• CVO1: 2015 CVO LIMITED
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2022, 09:17:21 AM »

Hope you get this figured out.
I had a RoadKing a few years back that drifted left , dealer said it was caused by the weight of the drive train and how it catches the wind.
 They must go to some kind of stupid answers seminars followed by the smoke and mirrors testing.
Always keep 2 feet away from your shadow

GregKhougaz

• It's a Two Wheeled World.
  • Global Moderator
  • 5k CVO Member
    • CA

• CVO1: '22 BMW Grand America
    • CVO2: '18 Porsche C4 GTS
    • CVO3: '22 Porsche Macan GTS and my mountain bike.
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2022, 10:51:15 AM »

I'm still having trouble with the bike wandering to the left when I let go of  the  bars.

Since I've replaced the left side caliper and overhauled the right side and wheel turn freely.(left caliper was seized and dragging) It's not resolved the issue though.

It still drifts left but now the front starts to wobble within seconds of letting go.There's no wobble issues when holding the bars I've taken it up to 100 mph with no issues with hanging. (I dare not let go at that speed)  the speed I'm letting go at is in the 60 to 70 mph range.

Why after doing the calipers it has a wobble when there it didn't before?  :nixweiss:

I've done wheel alignment checks ✔️  no issue,  calipers not dragging,  swing arm bushings good, rear shocks both at same setting and height,

Should I turn my attention to forks or steering head bearings (bearings loose)

It's not that I want to ride hands free but sometimes I need to but I have to stop if I need both hands.

All thoughts welcome.  Cheers

Some things to consider:  Under the "KISS" principle, check tire pressures, first. A deceleration wobble can easily be caused by loose or worn steering head bearings. (Been there). Does it wobble or drift if you set cruise control? If your caliper was "sized or grabbing," you may have slightly warped the rotor.

Good luck!

Greg

"We've got some tall tales we love to tell.  They may not be true but we sure do remember them well." 
 Sawyer Brown

When you come to a fork in the road... take it!

TN

• 2.5K CVO Member
    • SC

• CVO1: FLTRSE3
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2022, 04:28:41 PM »

As previously mentioned alignment comes to mind, WAG maybe wheel bearings, more weight on one side will give some drift. I use my legs to steer in the twisties as much as upper body, just a heads up on that. I had a HD shop trying to address the decal wobble one time and they replaced rotors, tires, front wheel and when they referred to tech support at the mothership the service manager told me not to ride with hands off the bars. I finally tightened the head bearings up myself and problem solved. The fall away test is not consistent to say the least. I think I get 1 1/2 swings at the most and mine handles fairly well. I do keep the bearings greased.

Talking about a high speed wobble I’d look at suspension, front and back, swingarm true?? Has the rake and trail been altered, when changing height on one end the other should be addressed too. I haven’t noticed HD’s being too sensitive on small changes with suspension height because they weigh so much, allot of folks complain about the weight but on the road I say it helps. Could be a faulty tire, I have seen a few of those.

I’m just a parts changer and throwing things at you to consider, follow up with your issues when solved to help others.

This is the most words I've used in one post here to date, so consider half of them. Good luck I know you'll get it.  :orange:
Wut the hell was that maneuver
Pages: [1] 2 3  All

Page created in 0.187 seconds with 21 queries.