Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Let there be rain!  (Read 2611 times)

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
Let there be rain!
« on: November 18, 2004, 01:39:36 AM »

Well, hello again all. Took the bike out again (can you believe it!) after my face-to-face with Mr. Sharky, headed back up to Maine to fix my web cam (to monitor ocean conditions). Water was flat--Oh well--too bad--mr. Sharky is gonna have to harass somebody else today! Fixed the cam, then realized I had godzillions of hours to burn before I was expected back home. So took route 5 north west across the state of Maine toward the White Mountains--fogured I'd take the Kankamangus Highway across then head south toward home. The ride was really cool, it was Haloween, and there were more police out than I have ever seen. Every town I passed through had a police car scrutinize my pass thru. But you see that's OK, cause I'm in mellow mood just gliding along happy as a bee looking for the next bend with hours to burn thinking Mr. Sharky can't get me now! As I approached North Conway, noticed this very big, very black black cloud take over the complete sky. Uh-oh I'm thinking.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 01:39:57 AM by psychodeuce »

naitram

• SMF Administrator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • MA

• CVO1: FLTRXSE2 "Marvin"
Re: Let there be rain!
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:51:04 AM »

Psycho,

welcome to the club...... glad you survived your initiation
:cool26: naitram...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
"Work is the curse of the drinking class."

JCZ

• Global Moderator
  • 10K CVO Member
    • AZ

• CVO1: 04 SEEG...sold
    • CVO2: 10 SESG...sold
    • CVO3: 13 FLHTCSE 8
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 10:35:18 AM »

I knew you could do.........I knew you could do it.........I had faith in you Psycho! [smiley=laugh.gif]

A little tip:  riding in that kind of weather your shoulders kind of want to work their way up around your head without you realizing it till you have the piercing pain between the shoulder blades.  It's important to remember to keep the upper body in relaxed form.....roll your shoulders and upper body every few minutes, to keep them relaxed.  It will also help keep you from over reacting to a situation.  Sometimes, over reacting will get you into more trouble than the situation itself.......stay relaxed......it's the name of the game!
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.  Remember...it's the journey, not the destination!

West Coast GTG   
Reno, NV (04), Reno, NV (05),  Cripple Creek, CO (06)  Hood River, OR (09), Lake Tahoe, CA (11) Carmel, CA (14), Ouray CO (15) Fortuna, Ca. (16)

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:26:31 PM »

Riding in Maine...  Last summer I had a wicked time up there too.  Was going to the Maine state rally in Ellsworth.  Was actually something of an odd trip the whole way.

Left Joplin (southwest) Missouri and rode to Duluth the first night.  Crossed the int'l border in to Canada after what had been a beautiful first day out only to have my first "incident" of the trip about an hour in to the second morning.  Was running maybe 1500 feet behind this mini-van with a cargo carrier on top.  Had even watched the cargo carrier just because it didn't look quite right.  Then, suddenly, whoooosh, the thing comes straight back off the mini van, lands in the lane and slides perfectly straight for about a second, then explodes open and there's shirts and clothes and towels flying everyplace.  I'd already swapped lanes to avoid hitting the container.  I think I'd done that even before it hit the pavement.  But I still don't know how I got through without picking up somebody's underwear in my face.

And then it started raining.  Rained all the way across Canada to Montreal where I dropped south back in to NY to take a US highway across VT, NH and Maine on to the coast.  On the morning I left to head out across VT, NH and Maine it was still raining.  Sometimes harder than hell.   But hey, it's just rain.  That was until I got in to Maine a ways and ran in to road construction.  Knew it was going to be ugly when I saw the sign that read "Danger, no pavement next three miles."

Sure enough, two lanes, narrow lanes, all mud, lots of traffic.  I dropped back 1/4 mile behind the car in front of me just to keep from getting more stuff pitched all over me.  But even keeping upright was sometimes a chore when you were going through the same muck that the heavy equipment was going through at pretty much the same time.  

Finally got through the mess and at the next gas stop off and began to peel off the rain gear only to see that with all the mud thrown everywhere I looked like the Pillsbury Dough Biker.  And you just about couldn't find the bike for all the gook caked on it.  I was actually really glad it did continue raining for another hour or so just to rinse both of us off a little bit.

That same trip went up toward Caribou one day and came out of a little store to see a Moose apparently wanting to get amorous with the bike, hit tons more rain coming down the Atlantic coast and then west across US 50 in Virginia and WV on the way home where a deer decided to walk out in front of me.  Then finally laid the bike down, in the rain, in Paducah, KY when a woman in a Ford Explorer pulled out in front of me on US 60 in town.  Broke my nose, my left shoulder popped out and than back in as I rolled at the end of my slide and picked up a fair amount of rash.  But the bike and I both slid good and straight.  The bike was about as unhurt as it ever could have been after sliding on the crash bars for 125 feet.  Had to have a couple fireman responders help me bend the front crash bar back forward so it was no longer covering the rear break pedal.  But that's the only thing that had to be done to the bike to make it ride-able to finish getting on home that afternoon.  

Joplin and home was another  375 miles or so from Paducah but the accident happened at about 10:30 that morning.  Police were done with us by 11:30 (the lady got a BIG ticket).  In that hour I'd shaken the kinks out and made sure the bike was ok to travel; and was finally home that night about 7:00.  Of course all the way across southern Missouri it was raining, pretty hard for about half the trip, and cold (about 55 most fo the day) and foggy about a third of the way.  All in all it was two weeks out on the bike and about 7000 miles and, like all trips out on the bike, I had a great time [smiley=laugh.gif] .

psycho

• Senior CVO Member
  • Surfer/Biker Dude
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 08:53:45 PM »

You know, with my little stories here and there about getting across town...and getting into another state without incident...some rain here and there...perhaps a hair pin tun here and there....it's clear I'm just a "little pup" when it comes to biking! And that's just fine with me! Looking forward to when I graduate to "big pup"!

Twolanerider

• 25K CVO Member
  • EBCM #1.5 Emeritus DSP # ? Critter Gawker #?
    • MO

• CVO1: 2000 Triple Red Screamin' Eagle Road Glide
    • CVO2: 2002 Candy Brandywine Screamin' Eagle Road King
    • CVO3: 1999 Arresting Red FXR2
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 02:24:45 AM »

Psycho, you've got plenty of big pup-ism all your own.  After all, you da man who describes going on a ride where it's cold enough to be wearing heated clothing and, in the middle of that ride, gets off the bike and paddles out in to the North Atlantic.  THE NORTH ATLANTIC!  With a shark!!  

You da man!  [smiley=drink.gif]  

You may be totally frigging crazy; but you da man.  I'll party at your house any day and bow and offer alms to get in the door.  [smiley=beerchug.gif]

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 22 queries.