CVO Technical > Wheels/Tires/Suspension/Brakes

Old Bikes Upgrade to Brembo -- In Case Anyone is Still Doing This Kind of Thing

(1/3) > >>

Twolanerider:
One of the locals was over this afternoon with his 05 Road King and some Brembo brakes he wanted to add.  I'd strongly suggested he score not just the calipers and rotors (mandatory) but the master cylinder also.  You can do it without the master cylinder but there is a real and noticeable difference. 

Changing just the calipers and rotors is almost a bolt on job.  Lines will work.  The only thing extra is part of the casting on the Brembo caliper on one side needs to be removed with a Dremel.  It's just a tiny bit and no big deal.  It's been covered here at Neal's site several times before and there's probably no one else still doing upgrades to these antiques so didn't take time for pictures.

Despite recommendation he was trying to save some money and didn't buy a master cylinder.  So we bolted everything on the front, got it bled (losing the miserable DOT5 for DOT4 synthetic), and he was ready to head out.  I told him to expect a hard brake lever pull and it might feel like he had to pull as hard as he could to get close to locking up the front wheel.  It's not quite that bad.  But it's close.  The old master cylinder works with the Brembo calipers but you just don't "learn" as much and don't feel like you've got as much finesse or control. 

He left the house for a test ride and almost rolled through a stop sign a few blocks down.  He turned around.  We put on a master cylinder that I had in my pile of spares.  Now it works really really well.  Just a heads up for anyone else with an old bike still considering brake upgrades.  I always thought this was a worthwhile upgrade but you really want to do calipers and master cylinder in combination for the front.  The rear caliper works in a way that "feels" normal with the stock rear master cylinder.  But the fronts can be funky. 

Finster101:
I'm guessing the later model master has a bigger bore.  Is that correct?

Twolanerider:

--- Quote from: Finster101 on June 26, 2023, 10:42:50 AM ---I'm guessing the later model master has a bigger bore.  Is that correct?

--- End quote ---

One would think.  The cylinders for the Brembo bikes and the earlier dual disk bikes (like late 90s to 2007) are both 11/16".  They still "feel" noticeably different though.  And it's a beneficial difference when using the Brembo era master cylinder with the Brembo calipers.  So something in the valving as it controls pressures vs travel in the cylinder would be my guess.  But it's just a guess.

Finster101:
Thanks, Just curious more than anything.

trippy:
Would you happen to know if the rear Bembro caliper and mounting bracket is a bolt on for a 2007 Road king?  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version